Main Menu

Prog 2054 - Me & My Shadow

Started by Grant Goggans, 21 October, 2017, 02:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIP

Quote from: Richard on 21 October, 2017, 09:46:03 PM
If seeing McMahon's art is the sort of thing that gets you excited, then I'd have thought that Tharg announcing it in advance would spoil the surprise and defeat the object.

Truthfully I haven't read anything in the prog of late and had no knowledge of anything Mcmahon.  So was a compete surprise to me.

As i have mentioned in other threads my interest has severely waned for the prog,lawless maintains my interest in the Meg  (winslade being the most amazing artist that tooth has produced this generation)  and unless there is some consistent Wagner Dredd or Strontium Dog in the near future my subscription will be ending.

The unexpected arrival of Mick is a ray of sunshine for me.

Swerty

I wonder if they could Brian Bolland to do a strip or a cover again.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Swerty on 22 October, 2017, 12:47:32 PM
I wonder if they could Brian Bolland to do a strip or a cover again.

There's always been talk of a script that John Wagner wrote for him as he always wanted to do a story with fatties is. I don't know if it will ever happen (also in my head there's something about the strip John Haward did a while ago, was that the same script being used up or did I imagine that?) so you never know...

Geoff

Seeing McMahon on Dredd and reading that first put me in a great frame of mind for the rest of the prog.
I'm enjoying IP, even though I'm rather at sea with it, and the art continues to impress.  Even read Slaine this week...lovely opening spread.

Good punchy cover too!

Frank

QuoteI wonder if they could Brian Bolland to do a strip or a cover again

Bolland and/or McMahon have given Tharg one cover per annum for the last five years. McMahon drew an episode of Sláine: Book Of Scars, and both he and Bolland gave us a page of strip art in last year's 2000th issue.

I love the preview I've seen of this week's McMahon Dredd, but Bolland's page in prog 2000 (the real Prog 2000) looked like he wasn't given enough time to do his best* or his heart wasn't in it.

Besides, if Tharg wants new Bolland strip art, he can just call Tom Foster.

* 1771 McMahon (2012), 1821 Bolland (2013), 1848 McMahon (2013) plus strip, Megazine 350 Bolland (2014), 1924 Bolland (2015), prog 2000 McMahon & Bolland (2016) plus Cursed Earth reprint

** About three months per page, judging by The Killing Joke. Bolland's spent the last thirty years as a cover artist, and he describes himself as retired.

Richard

QuoteBolland's spent the last thirty years as a cover artist

One way around that would be for someone to write a six-panel Judge Dredd story which he can then draw as six full pages.

McNulty

Overall, I enjoyed this week's prog very much. The Dredd story was entertaining and it's always great to have an old master doing the art. A bit of action in Slaine make this more enjoyable than of late. Sin/Dex story was another good gunsharks defending the underdog story, and as for Absalom, I especially liked the cover this week - the artist got his scowl down to a tee.
The only thing I couldn't get on board was Indigo Prime. To be honest, I have never got this series. I can just about understand the premise and in its original run the stories didn't last too long so it didn't matter if I didn't follow any individual story. However, for me this current run is just too inaccessible. I can understand that 2000AD is an anthology, so there are very differing stories being presented, so I'm happy that it is only one story I don't like.

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 23 October, 2017, 12:02:26 AM
QuoteBolland's spent the last thirty years as a cover artist

One way around that would be for someone to write a six-panel Judge Dredd story which he can then draw as six full pages.

Not sure Simon Davis would want to share this series of Sláine with another artist.

Fungus

Quote from: Frank on 22 October, 2017, 08:29:17 PM
If Tharg wants new Bolland strip art, he can just call Tom Foster.

Hm, that's unnecessary on several levels.

McMahon. This alone will force me to catch up progs/megs ASAP, Lawless aside (actually Absalom is excellent too) the Thrills aren't too hot for me currently. I like to think Mick's evolving/devolving style will be radically altered every time we're presented with it. The prog after the divisive Simon Roy - which I have quickly scanned at least - is delicious timing  :)

TordelBack

Quote from: Fungus on 23 October, 2017, 10:23:24 AM
Quote from: Frank on 22 October, 2017, 08:29:17 PM
If Tharg wants new Bolland strip art, he can just call Tom Foster.

Hm, that's unnecessary on several levels.

An entirely appropriate endorsement of Foster, however, whose style adds some delicious Leach overtones and an almost Yeowellish sense of space  to make a unique mix that I would personally prefer to see than more current Bolland...  Which brings me to: when are we getting more Storm Warning?  Loved that strip. 

Swerty

Frank

Tom Foster is very open (and very funny) about what he's doing.*

* ... which is, like artists as talented and distinctive as Bill Sienkiewicz and Greg Staples before him, using the identifiable, codified sensibilities of an established artist as a way into producing great work, before going on to develop their own aesthetic. That Sorry Bobs story the great Colin MacNeil produced could be Carlos himself, if you squint a bit.

Tiplodocus

In which case, you could have maybe said as much with a quote from Tom.

Like Fungus, I read your first post as being slightly snarky. I let it slide because tone is hard/impossible to read on text like this. It could have been a badly worded compliment or it could have been a carefully worded dig at Tom and Tharg.

But if people are repeatedly picking up the wrong tone in posts etc. It may be an idea to change the posting style.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Frank

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 October, 2017, 01:56:06 PM
... you could have maybe said as much with a quote from Tom.

All board members should hold to this high standard.

If you had encountered sarcasm, I'm not sure why that would require your attention more than boarders saying they just don't like a creator's work, or that it's of poor quality - both of which are weekly staples of this particular thread.

What's the difference, Tips?

Tiplodocus

I genuinely don't understand the question.

I thought you were being snarky. So did Fungus. Turns out we were wrong and you were just sharing a joke that Tom has already shared somewhere else. 

I was just thinking of ways of not repeating the mistake; one way is for us to make positive interpretation of what we read here. The other was maybe for you to think about how you post things. That was all.

I'll do my bit and leave it at that.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!