Main Menu

Zarjaz 07: The PAT MILLS special.

Started by Bolt-01, 18 February, 2009, 09:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Zarjaz 07 cover art by Dave Kendall.

Launching in May 2009, Zarjaz 07 is a first for us, in that we are devoting the entire issue to the works of one man. Mr Pat Mills.

As part of the run-up to the launch of this epic issue, I, your humble assembly droid contacted Pat with a few questions.

Bolt-01: For long time readers of 2000ad, you are regarded as being the reason the comic existed, given how long the comic has lasted, do you feel a sense of pride at this?

Pat Mills: Yes, of course. Coupled with a sense of RELIEF that the many, many attempts by editorial neo-cons to destroy the comic from its conception in the '70s onwards failed. Equally, the failed attempts to turn it into something else... Deadline, Loaded, Vertigo etc. Usually by people who didn't really believe in 2000AD or wanted to use it as a launch pad to go elsewhere. If you like Vertigo, you buy Vertigo, not 2000AD.

In recent years, the comic is very much 2000AD once again, the various threats to its  identity have faded away, and I think that makes all of us who care  passionately about the comic feel great.

Bolt-01: The recent crop of new 'Pat Mills' strips in 2000ad, along with the ongoing reprint treatment of your older works, has generated a lot of interest in the small press community to work with these characters, yet for reasons I'm not going into here this wasn't officially permissible- Is there a reason you would like to share about what has changed your mind?

Pat Mills: I think because the threats I've mentioned above have receded. There's a great deal more trust, respect and appreciation on every side which means I can relax a little. So it's no longer a problem for me. Some eight or so  years back that certainly  wasn't the case  - in what I call The Dark Ages - and I could feel a real itch between my shoulder blades. You've only got to look at how Gerry Finley-Day - who actually is the (unsung) founder of modern British comics via Tammy (not me) - has sometimes been written about, with a lack of respect, and erased from the picture, to know it's not paranoia on my part.

Bolt-01: Are there any characters of yours that you would like to see adapted for small press?

Pat Mills: Hmm... Any where the writer and artist really are committed to saying something cool about the character. Defoe has a large universe of characters - there might be some aspect that could be explored that I haven't focussed on much.  That could be fun!

So far creators for this issue include Al Nolan, Mike Carroll, Nick Dyer, Richmond clements, Mark Woodland, Andrew White, Ben Byrne, Bolt-01 and more. Being prepared for this issue are strips featuring Slaine and the ABC Warriors, though who knows what can happen in future...

Slaine character study by Nick Dyer.

Happy Shrapnel by  Mike Carroll & Bolt-01 (Work in progress)

For more updates as time passes remember to visit //http://thequaequamblog.blogspot.com/

Remember- It's not called ZARJAZ for nothing.

Devons Daddy

great stuff

love the marketing pitch is not called Zarjaz for nothing. brillant.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Proudhuff

That's very very impressive, well done Bolt, its a sign of how great Zarjaz is that someone who cares so much about his creations is willing to trust your judgment, and hats off too to Mr Mills. Looks like its going to be a belter!
DDT did a job on me

Bolt-01

DD, the tagline is from the mind of His Lordship RAC, my co-conspirator in all this.

Pat has been nothing but fantastic to deal with, I'd love the opportunity to buy him a pint at a convention sometime to say thanks.

IndigoPrime

That's some nice cover art. Good to see Mills's comments, not only about 2000 AD itself (and its return to being, well, 2000 AD), but also in his level of trust with the small-press world.

SmallBlueThing

Please immediately put me down for a copy! Mr Mills being my hero and all that, I've just experienced a jolt of thrill-power the like of which I've not had for a loooonnnggg time. And it's amazingly welcome news that he's decided to let others play with his toys. About time. Good for the man for sticking to his guns and not being petty when he sees an improvement. He just continues to climb in my estimation.

Now, how do I get hold of the damn thing and how do I make sure I can get all future and back issues of this and all other currently available 2000ad fan publications?

Steev

Kev Levell

Very interesting. Well done! I can only echo what has been said already and add that the Zarjaz logo in the Slaine style works a treat!  8-)

Richmond Clements

QuoteNow, how do I get hold of the damn thing and how do I make sure I can get all future and back issues of this and all other currently available 2000ad fan publications?

You can get them at the shop here: http://www.futurequake.co.uk/fq/index.html

QuoteAnd it's amazingly welcome news that he's decided to let others play with his toys. About time. Good for the man for sticking to his guns and not being petty when he sees an improvement.

Yup- Pat has been superb throughout- and more than fair in every stage of the negotiation (all credit to Bolt, who arranged this all!). There are a few provisos and no-go areas in his work, but other than that, we get to play with everything!

radiator

IndigoPrime

I wish someone would do a Dogbreath anthology using something like Lulu.com, so us poor sods who've got few issues could all 'catch up' with the publication.

Bolt-01

Indigo- that is a good idea. I know that for all the strips we've commissioned for Dogbreath I have the pages so a later collection is possible, and in the case of some strips already planned, but I have no idea if the erstwhile Dr Bob has the pages to facilitate something for her tenure.

The Dan Whiston & James Kircough strip from Dogbreath 14 is available to read on the 2000adreview site.

Another thought from there is the amunt of text features way outweighs the strip. Would a collection of primarily text features work? Not sure.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "Bolt-01"Indigo- that is a good idea. I know that for all the strips we've commissioned for Dogbreath I have the pages so a later collection is possible, and in the case of some strips already planned, but I have no idea if the erstwhile Dr Bob has the pages to facilitate something for her tenure.
I guess if the original contributors were happy with it being done, someone could always just scan in any missing pages and put such a collection (or series of collections) together.

QuoteAnother thought from there is the amunt of text features way outweighs the strip. Would a collection of primarily text features work? Not sure.
Personally, I'd be happiest to see an almost straight bundling, almost like gluing together 10 copies of 2000 AD. Either way, if you have the original content to hand and can export to Lulu's processes, it should be relatively little effort for a publication that then gets printed on demand. B+W is also pretty cheap via the service, even when perfect-bound and taking into consideration the devaluation of Sterling.

House of Usher

You guys are all kinds of awesome! Hats off to you. Respect due.  :D
STRIKE !!!

Gibson Quarter

Thats Awesome...count me in if you need something drawn up! I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

Cheers.

GQ

Pete Wells

Technically Bolt, you were pregnant, with Pat Mills' babies!!!

Congtratulations guys, I'm really looking forward to this.