Main Menu

Basic Argumentation, And The Causing Of Offence

Started by Jim_Campbell, 04 June, 2019, 11:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Sweet feckin Jesus, would ye ever just turn off your computers and go outside?
You may quote me on that.

Tjm86

Quote from: Mister Pops on 05 June, 2019, 08:34:37 PM

No, no, no .....

its

"Why don't you turn off your television set and go and do something more interesting instead!"

Please.

If you're going to give us late twentieth century pop culture references then at least get them right!

Sheesh!   :o

BTW - Mods, can we please get this thread relabelled as the "light blue touch paper and then stand back" thread?

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Mister Pops on 05 June, 2019, 08:34:37 PM

"I only said I dun gone outside so they wouldn't give me another jalfrezi enema!"

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 05 June, 2019, 07:08:01 PM
I do enjoy a good argument (not a slanging match - those are just tiresome), the way it stimulates and challenges the little grey cell can be quite exilerating. I sometimes hear a comedy program on Radio 4, I forget what it's called, where humorous debates are held under the title, "this house believes that..." The subject can be anything and they have an impartial chair and votes at the end and everything. I'd love to be able to participate in something like that.

I know the one you mean - wish I could remember what it was called!

QuoteMaybe we should have a go? Pick a subject, serious or silly, two debators and a chair. Start with opening statements, then cross questioning, then chair and audience questions, closing statements and a vote or/and general comments. No rancour, no name-calling, no expectations - just good natured and civilised debate.

I commend this notion to the House!

Any suggestions on subjects?

Geoff

[One other observation on the topic; we are (generally) a group of blokes in our mid to late 40's, with a lot in common.
The fact we're even here yammering on about a comic that we never gave up for 4 decades is embarrassing enough - but to have a genuine - genuine - internet argument with another grown man over this bullshit? Most wouldn't - it's just too uncouth.
[/quote]

:lol:

This little gem made reading through all that madness worthwhile!

Fungus

I sometimes hear a comedy program on Radio 4, I forget what it's called, where humorous debates are held under the title, "this house believes that..." The subject can be anything

The frequently excellent Heresy? The starting point is received wisdom and involves trying to smash it to bits. You'd be surprised how often that gets results (maybe not you Sharky  :) ).

Also: what a disappointing thread. Why am I reading this...?!

abelardsnazz

When I found out about debating societies I felt hugely let down that they didn't have one at my school. A grasp of, and practice in, proper debating might have proved hugely useful in my life, especially the most recent decade or two of it. (As a man with a great many axes to grind, I have only recently begun to explore the correct operation of the grinder.)

I do enjoy a good argument (not a slanging match - those are just tiresome), the way it stimulates and challenges the little grey cell can be quite exilerating. I sometimes hear a comedy program on Radio 4, I forget what it's called, where humorous debates are held under the title, "this house believes that..." The subject can be anything and they have an impartial chair and votes at the end and everything. I'd love to be able to participate in something like that.

Maybe we should have a go? Pick a subject, serious or silly, two debators and a chair. Start with opening statements, then cross questioning, then chair and audience questions, closing statements and a vote or/and general comments. No rancour, no name-calling, no expectations - just good natured and civilised debate.

I commend this notion to the House!

I'd like to start this thread, which the admins may wish to move, with the proposal: Stone Sour are better than Slipknot.

Funt Solo

I've heard of Slipknot, so they must be better.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: sheridan on 05 June, 2019, 10:42:47 PM

How about a nice, easy one to start with: "Does God exist?"

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: Fungus on 05 June, 2019, 11:53:12 PM
Also: what a disappointing thread. Why am I reading this...?!

Why do people look at car crashes?

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 06 June, 2019, 06:55:14 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 05 June, 2019, 10:42:47 PM

How about a nice, easy one to start with: "Does God exist?"

A bit frivolous, I feel.  How about "2000AD in the nineties wasn't as bad as everybody makes out"?

SIP