Main Menu

No Heroics - Brit superhero sitcom

Started by wrly_bird, 13 September, 2008, 03:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrly_bird

Has this one completely flown under the radar or is it just me???
It's a superhero sitcom called NO HEROICS and it's on Thursday ITV2, 10.30pm.
According to the promo I've just read in today's Guardian Guide it's a Spaced-style comedy about five superheroes gathered in their favourite boozer. Much love for 2000AD, apparently, and comic in-jokes aplenty ('Stront' and 'Zarjaz' cigarettes, 'Shazamstell' and 'Von Doomenbrau' beer on tap). Writer/producer Drew Pearce reckons the whole thing was inspired by ZENITH.
Let's hope it's not another 'My Hero'...

Dandontdare

This has been mentioned elsewhere - check this thread for some great pics of the tooth-inspired set-dressing:
//http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23222

ThryllSeekyr

Sounds Good!!

Thought you were talking about another Superhero Sitocm about about family with superhero dad. Starring well known Irish Comedian.

Forget the name, but I thinks it's been around for a few years, as I watched marathon run  of this show from the early hours of the morning.

Wils

Quote from: "ThryllSeekyr"Sounds Good!!

Thought you were talking about another Superhero Sitocm about about family with superhero dad. Starring well known Irish Comedian.

Forget the name, but I thinks it's been around for a few years, as I watched marathon run  of this show from the early hours of the morning.

That will be the god awful My Hero, that started off at a nadir and quite spectacularly got even worse as it progressed.

Looking forward to No Heroics, but some shitty scheduling means it's on at exactly the same time as The Wrong Door.

Mardroid

I saw this a short while ago.

Actually wasn't bad. The sex and knob gags could get a bit old, but it was worth a chuckle at least.

Dandontdare

Darn, forgot this was on and din't set the vid - I was at Waterstones listening to Bill (KLF) Drummond explain his latest crackpot theory on music.

Mardroid

Quote from: "dandontdare"Darn, forgot this was on and din't set the vid - I was at Waterstones listening to Bill (KLF) Drummond explain his latest crackpot theory on music.

Sounds novel anyway.

I just realized what I wrote.... I really did not intend that as a pun....

I happened to be in Otakkars in Bromley a couple of years back and one of the Stones was doing a book signing. Purely a coincidence, I didn't know he'd be there. (Not that I knew who he was anyway although he looked vaguely familiar. Just shows how much I know of the Rock world, although I quite like the music.)

Wils

Robbed of half an hour. Apart from a couple of tiny chuckles(#) it was complete mince. It was trying *far* too hard to be 'adult' and just came across as...shit. A missed opportunity. Shame

IMO, what would've worked a lot better would have been [spoiler]if The Hotness had accidentally torched that bint when he got the vinegar strokes.[/spoiler] Sadly, we just ended up with them going for the 'Ew!' factor rather than something that was actually funny.

(#) Not to be confused with:

Tiplodocus

I actually quite enjoyed it but I can see that there is a lot, lot more potential to the concept than "Superheroes discuss relationships and prat about just like normal people".  

I mean, if you'd changed the  Superheroes to be Footballers, you could have filmed the same episode with very few changes to the script. That's got to show it as I missed opportunity.

However I chuckled long and hard at:
"How was your day?"
"The usual"
"[spoiler]Ah, alcohol and masturbation then?"
"Yes, I beat Little Don like he owed me money!"[/spoiler]
Be excellent to each other. And party on!