Main Menu

Film (home/3D etc)

Started by Judge Olde, 07 February, 2015, 01:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge Olde

While I'm still thinking what to call this thread (or post if nobody replies?) I decided to treat myself to a nice HD 48" TV in January (as I like & watch a lot of films), though it wasn't even a reason I went for the one I did, it does 3D in HD, also realised that potentially I can watch 3D titles via my PS3.

So the point of this thread - what films are worth a watch in 3D, I'm thinking Dredd?

Though now I need to read a tad more about 3D ...

waffle sorry

so what 3D films (or rather good films that are also in 3D) would you recommend.

Before I waffle further, 'UP' also springs to mind.

(next on the list will be a surround system)

Daveycandlish

The only film I've truly enjoyed in 3D was Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder.
Now there's a man who really knew what he was doing.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Goaty

JamesC

The first 3D film I saw on TV was Pirhanna 3DD. It's quite funny and the 3D is actually really good!

Watched the 3D Blu Ray of Days of Future Past last week - really good.

Richmond Clements

The Adventures of Tin Tin has some great 3D.

Woolly

I would recommend...

Dredd (of course)
Prometheus (dodgy film, but a beauty to look at)
Guardians of the Galaxy (best post production 3D i've seen)
Jurassic Park 3D
Predator 3D

shaolin_monkey

Loads of kids films are stunning in 3D. Brave looks great, and is a good film too.

Here's some from my collection I really enjoyed:
Gravity
The Monkey King
Hugo
How to train your Dragon 1 & 2
Pacific Rim
Live Die Repeat

Keef Monkey

Watched the 3D Days of Future Past the other week too, and it did look incredible. Probably the best picture I've had from a 3D blu-ray.

The only other 3D stuff I've watched at home so far were Captain America: Winter Soldier (film looks great but I can't say the 3D wowed me) and Prometheus, which looked amazing.

Have got Pacific Rim and The Wolverine sitting there too, but haven't rewatched them since they added the 3D playback to the XB1. Will definitely get on Pacific Rim soon, I'd imagine it looks pretty great.

I'm surprised that we've been enjoying the 3D as much as we are, haven never been very fussed about it in the cinema and it was more of an afterthought when buying the TV (a sort of 'might as well' sort of feature) but it really does look fantastic.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 07 February, 2015, 03:05:27 PM
The Adventures of Tin Tin has some great 3D.
That it did and a damn good movie to go with it.

Tiplodocus

And if you like your Baz Luhrmann, THE GREAT GATSBY has some lovely 3D in it as well. Nice sense of depth to the landscapes.  It's far from Baz's best but is still jolly good (though Tobey Maguire is a bit too wet for my liking and it never breaks into the full on song and dance numbers that it teases you with).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

dweezil2

Dredd.
Prometheous.
Guardians Of The Galaxy.
Tron: Legacy.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: dweezil2 on 10 February, 2015, 04:16:10 PM
Tron: Legacy.

I picked that up for £8 from CEX the other day (incidentally, Days of Future Past 3D is in there for £12), but I wasn't that impressed with the 3D. Also, I couldn't get past how awful the AI Jeff Bridges looked.

I might persevere with it, just for the soundtrack.

Keef, I too have been pleasantly surprised how well 3D films translate to the living room. The films actually seem much crisper, and the 3D deeper and more effective, with much less ghosting.  I have a passive system for the living room, but also have nVidia 3D vision shutter glasses set up on the PC. Games with A+ 3D ratings are absolutely stunning in 3D.

The shutter system seems to be deeper, and nVidia interface allows for adjusting it to get different effects. 'Toyification' is one of my faves in 3rd person games. It looks like you're controlling an action figure! World of Warcraft and Just Cause 2 were particularly good at that.

The Enigmatic Dr X

The only 3d films I've been impressed with are:

Guardians of the Galaxy (a big big)
Gravity (a huge amount).

Gravity looks really good because it's set in space and there's lots of floating stuff, I guess.
Lock up your spoons!

shaolin_monkey

Has anyone else tried the Google cardboard 3D viewer yet?  It has a lot of support on Android, but there's some bits and bobs on ios too, and 3D film trailers and suchlike that work via Youtube.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/consumer-electronics/audiovideo/3d-comes-to-cardboard

I love 3D knicknacks, me!   :D

Keef Monkey

Game-wise I think the only games I have with 3D support are Gears of War 3 and Silent Hill Downpour - both on 360, and the 360 is set up in the other room with the older non-3D telly!

The next time I get a craving for a Gears playthrough I'll probably move it back through and do it in 3D, I did give it a quick try when we first got it and the depth did look great. The graphics took a hit though, unavoidable when you're having to render twice as many frames I guess.

Alone In The Dark I couldn't even get the option to switch on, not sure if it auto-detects a 3D tv before it enables the option and just wasn't detecting it properly, but the 3D option was greyed out for me. Have a friend who is having a similar problem with the Dredd blu-ray actually - it won't recognize his TV is 3D so won't let him watch it.