Main Menu

Giant Days

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 July, 2018, 04:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So I know we have an insider on this one and I think a few other readers BUT Giant Days heard good things but only today saw that it's set in Sheffield University... is this actual University of Sheffield as in Yorkshire and does it reference the city much?

blackmocco

Can't really say myself. Never been to Sheffield. That aside, it's well worth your time. Consistently funny and witty. Never thought my comic buying highlight of every month would be about three girls going to college but there you go. You should check it out.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Jim_Campbell

Giant Days is unmistakably British and John's scripts provide extensive links to photo reference of various locations. Although I worked in Sheffield for a couple of years, I never really got to know more of the city than the walk from the train station to my office in a block opposite Cole Brothers, and a handful of city centre pubs, so I can't speak to how Sheffield-specific it is.

I can confirm that I've defended the script from well-meaning editorial changes that mistook local idiom for errors (including sending a memorable email on the correct usage of duck/me duck that runs from Northamptonshire, up through Nottinghamshire into South Yorkshire) and there's quite a good joke when the girls are house-hunting about a flat being in "South Sheffield" when Chesterfield cathedral is clearly visible from the window...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

...And to echo blackmocco's sentiments — yes, it's very good. Easily the favourite thing to pass across my desk in any given month. That we're now coming up on #42 of a monthly comic about three young women going to university gives me constant hope for the medium.

Above all, the thing I really love about the book is not that it's funny (and it's often very funny — a recent issue had a Star Trek gag that was so spectacularly awful in both set-up and pay-off that I wanted to stand up and applaud) but that it's also wise and kind.

A little delight. Every month. Plus, check out John's new (very different) book, By Night, which is also great.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 July, 2018, 07:29:25 AM
... walk from the train station to my office in a block opposite Cole Brothers...

Showing your age there Jim its been John Lewis for agrees now... though we still call it Cole's!

Thanks both of you - I will be defo trying this out... hopefully Boom! will have a sale soon!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 30 July, 2018, 05:51:49 PM
Showing your age there Jim its been John Lewis for agrees now... though we still call it Cole's!

Thinking about it, this probably was about twenty years ago. Jesus. I can't now remember whether it had John Lewis signage, only that my colleagues called it Cole Brothers...

Colin YNWA

Changed in 2002 fact fans.

God I feel old!

Hawkmumbler

To put that into perspective this wee squaxx was just 7 at the time.
Keep up old timers!

But back to Giant Days...it is indeed fabulous, heartfelt and wonderfully entertaining stuff. One of the highlights of my pull list every month.

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 August, 2018, 10:12:24 AM

Nothing to crow about,  just means your tender nutritious flesh will be in higher demand in the post-apocalyptic wasteland.  Only reason they'd butcher me at this point is to use my leathery hide for replacement assless chaps.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 July, 2018, 07:29:25 AM
I can confirm that I've defended the script from well-meaning editorial changes

I forgot to mention that I even have an uncredited art contribution! I forget which issue, but I re-drew a power socket to change it from a two-prong US style to a the three-prong UK version. Saved the day again! :-)

(Max is from Finland, so I suppose we can forgive her.)

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 August, 2018, 10:12:24 AM
Keep up old timers!

In 2002...?!
@jamesfeistdraws

Tomwe

+1 for the Giant Days love. Heard about it on the House To Astonish podcast when they reviewed the first issue.

I, Cosh

Thanks both of you - I will be defo trying this out... hopefully Boom! will have a sale soon!
You mean like this one.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: I, Cosh on 01 August, 2018, 07:23:53 PM
hopefully Boom! will have a sale soon!

You mean like this one.

Cheers.  Anything else in that sale worth a punt, Cosh?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: I, Cosh on 01 August, 2018, 07:23:53 PM
You mean like this one.
[/quote]

Blimey. £1.49 for the first TPB? Do it. You couldn't buy half a pint round my way for that!