Main Menu

Halo Jones Time

Started by Hoagy, 13 January, 2024, 10:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoagy

It's Saturday night and I'm doing nothing in particular and scrolling through FB vids when someone starts talking about the Einstein theory of time. They mention Interstellar where they go to a planet with heavy gravity and come back to find time slowed time down for them.

Am I right in thinking Alan Moore shared this concept with Halo Jones on the planet of heavy gravity in which a war was played out? Did she not come back to find a world moved on?

If so, how many times has 2000ad thoroughly accomplished grafting in some pretty futuristic concepts into the pages of venerable comic before mainstream audiences were breaking down such fascinating concepts in everyday life. Changing their worlds completely where as a 2000ad reader will invariably shrug off the notion as something already grappled with in the 1980s.

Sorry to bother the board but I ashamedly do not have a copy of halo jones at hand atm.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Le Fink

Quote from: Hoagy on 13 January, 2024, 10:11:57 PMAm I right in thinking Alan Moore shared this concept with Halo Jones on the planet of heavy gravity in which a war was played out? Did she not come back to find a world moved on?
Yes - Moore and Gibson had some fun with things like people's hairstyles growing during missions IIRC. There was a tragic side with observers on the outside watching their comrades dying in slow motion. Clever stuff.
Quote from: Hoagy on 13 January, 2024, 10:11:57 PMIf so, how many times has 2000ad thoroughly accomplished grafting in some pretty futuristic concepts into the pages of venerable comic before mainstream audiences were breaking down such fascinating concepts in everyday life. Changing their worlds completely where as a 2000ad reader will invariably shrug off the notion as something already grappled with in the 1980s.
The Strontium Dog time bomb in particular, which moves a region through time but not space. I have no idea if that's right, but it's a really clever idea. And makes complete sense!
Quote from: Hoagy on 13 January, 2024, 10:11:57 PMSorry to bother the board but I ashamedly do not have a copy of halo jones at hand atm.
Ha ha whaaaat? I'm sure those with 3 or 4 editions can lend you one  :D

JayzusB.Christ

A mate of mine who was very, very into sci fi novels once told me that Alan Moore borrowed the concept of the war on a planet with faster time and stronger gravity than Earth's from another writer. Snecked if I can remember which writer though.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

I think that was The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

GoGilesGo

A very Moore plot point in this story was the corps only received wages for time spent fighting from the point of view of those outside of the heavy gravity theatre.

So they all fought for a month straight but only got paid for five minutes. 

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: broodblik on 14 January, 2024, 10:48:10 AMI think that was The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

Thanks! Always wondered that but I'd lost touch with the mate in question.

Yeah, the salary thing was an inspired touch, as was the religious aspect of the planet's culture.  I was very young and fully immersed in an unquestioning Catholic society when I read it first, and to see the entire concept of Christianity viewed as a quaint little local superstition in the space of two panels was a bit of a shock to the system, and got me thinking a bit. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hoagy

Of course Special Relativity is recorded to being around since 1905 that's not the issue. The issue is education of the general public. I assimilated this info from Halo Jones but took it as science fiction of course. But, when faced with the truth of the matter I was already partly informed.

That's thanks to 2000ad.

Pat Mills did it a lot too of course.

What about Finlay Day? Did he purport the idea of genetics onto readers?

John Wagner of course introduced the political element rather subtly too.

All of the masthead strips had lots of informative infrastructure to their stories.

As JBC points out, religion was held up to the spotlight on more than one occasion and as growing mind we were able to deduce an informed opinion from such stories.

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

sheridan

There's a thread with a title along the lines of "2000AD predicted it first" that has a collection of news items which were covered in the GG years or decades earlier.