Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

Quote from: Fungus on 12 April, 2014, 08:42:17 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM
When's April 10? Anytime near April 10th?

A similar one. Furniture stores omitting the £.

I think it looks lovely in menus, for example, when you only have a figure ie. instead of "£12.00" it just says "12".

Mardroid

Quote from: Banners on 12 April, 2014, 10:00:56 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 12 April, 2014, 08:42:17 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM
When's April 10? Anytime near April 10th?

A similar one. Furniture stores omitting the £.

I think it looks lovely in menus, for example, when you only have a figure ie. instead of "£12.00" it just says "12".

The expressions the waiter's face is priceless when you hand him a round silver coloured coin (the larger one mind!) and a couple of coppers.

TordelBack

YouTube forcing a 25 second advert for McDonalds on me before I watch each and every TRAILER.  If I get even fatter, it's on you, Goaty.

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 April, 2014, 09:43:10 AM
YouTube forcing a 25 second advert for McDonalds on me before I watch each and every TRAILER.  If I get even fatter, it's on you, Goaty.

This thread could be devoted entirely to movie trailers.
As with Mr. Back, I too loathe a 'forced' advert.

The worst offender? Why, it has to be the pre-movie starting advert in the cinema.
Let me break it down:

Arrive at cinema at 8.30pm.
'Normal' adverts for 15 minutes.
Cinema advert reminding patrons to turn off / down their phone (heeded by 0.05% of attendees).
'Movie' adverts for 15 minutes.
Film board certificate.
...and yes, it's 9.10pm, you've waited patiently, already eaten all of your nachos, but finally- the film's about to begin.

Uh, Uh. Hold on there son.
Think we'll squeeze in just one more advert. Howsabout a Jennifer Lopez endorsed jingle for L'Oreal?
Perfect. It won't annoy the audience one little bit.

Tombo

Just watching Madness "Night Boat to Cairo" on YouTube, total length 3:39 prior to that was an advert for something from Dove, total length 3:54.  At least I could skip that one after a few seconds, but by Grud sometimes YouTube really can be annoying with it's adverts.

TordelBack

Quote from: Tombo on 14 April, 2014, 11:49:16 AM
Just watching Madness "Night Boat to Cairo" on YouTube, total length 3:39 prior to that was an advert for something from Dove, total length 3:54.  At least I could skip that one after a few seconds, but by Grud sometimes YouTube really can be annoying with it's adverts.

I don't mind the 'Skip after 5 seconds' ones, that's fair enough, Google have to keep themsleves in beanbags and quinoa salad boxes somehow, it's the 20 or 30 second ones that you can't skip that piss me off - I'm dropping in to watch an ADVERT FOR A FILM and before I can do that, I have to watch ANOTHER advert the same length for lager or fries?  Piss off with your trailer so.

On the same subject, what appears to be targeted in-browser ads for products I would never buy, have never browsed for, and seem to follow me around for weeks: Desigual fashions, for example.  Quasi-tie-dye shift dresses are just not something I see myself buying online.  YMMV.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Y'know what grinds my gears? When people complain about ads on websites instead of just installing free ad-blocking software.
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Aye, I used to use ad-blocks, but it was pointed out to me that it denies revenue to sites I want to support.

Skullmo

A trailer that shows me the whole film. Well, there will be no point in m going to see that one then!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Fungus

Quote from: Link Prime on 14 April, 2014, 10:12:25 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 14 April, 2014, 09:43:10 AM
Arrive at cinema at 8.30pm....
...and yes, it's 9.10pm, you've waited patiently...

NEVER arrive within 30 mins of the "starting" time.
It's always the same?
Methinks you like those ads.

TordelBack

Quote from: Skullmo on 14 April, 2014, 12:09:15 PM
A trailer that shows me the whole film. Well, there will be no point in m going to see that one then!

Or indeed a DVD menu sequence that basically shows the entire thing, only in that case you've already bought/rented the thing and sat through 5 minutes of FACT ads as a punishment for not having pirated it.

NapalmKev

Politicians that skirt around questions and talk absolute bollocks, and still managing to get re-elected!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

JamesC

Shirts in packets.

A shirt doesn't need to come in a packet - it's unnecessary and annoying. To make matters worse, the pins they used to have in them (which could stick you if you didn't remove them but at least they could be useful after they'd been removed) have been replaced by little plastic clips that are useless for anything else and get chucked straight in the bin. There must be a factory somewhere that makes those little clips - what a bloody waste.   

mogzilla

the csl advert with the woman with the incredibly shruggy shoulders...

and the toothpaste one with the smug woman talking to some one ..." in my dental practice my dental patients use it all the time before they come to my dental practice with me being a dentist an'all"

.."so, you're a dentist?"

grinds gears teeth etc
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

Proudhuff

There is an advert on local radio that has a woman talking with her mouth full, with lots of 'you know' and 'like' inbetween gggggrrrrr.

oh my list is endless  :D
DDT did a job on me