Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Whispering.

All whispering, but especially for commercial gain.

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 April, 2014, 01:33:35 PM
Whispering.

what even sweet nothing in your ear or House of Card stlye asides?
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 14 April, 2014, 01:34:51 PM
what even sweet nothing in your ear

I'm more a hand-on-the-crotch/large-whiskey kind of guy, but keep trying dear heart.

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 April, 2014, 02:35:58 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 14 April, 2014, 01:34:51 PM
what even sweet nothing in your ear

I'm more a hand-on-the-crotch/large-whiskey kind of guy, but keep trying dear heart.

A man after cosh's own heart!
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

oh I could list so many things....

People who stop halfway through a doorway to finish a conversation, which is especially annoying in a busy office - either come back in or go out, but GET OUT OF THE FUCKING DOORWAY!

"We will shortly be arriving into our next station stop" - you arrive AT not INTO and it's either a stop or a station, but not both.

Unnecessary and ridiculously hard to open food packaging with cooking instructions in type so small you need a microscope to read it.

I could go on (and on and on...)

Definitely Not Mister Pops

People who tear beermats into little tiny pieces
You may quote me on that.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mister Pops on 14 April, 2014, 06:24:01 PM
People who tear beermats into little tiny pieces

guilty! although I prefer the "how many times can I peel it into complete fullsized squares" game

Link Prime

Quote from: Fungus on 14 April, 2014, 12:36:47 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 14 April, 2014, 10:12:25 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 14 April, 2014, 09:43:10 AM
YouTube forcing a 25 second advert for McDonalds on me before I watch each and every TRAILER.  If I get even fatter, it's on you, Goaty.
Arrive at cinema at 8.30pm....
...and yes, it's 9.10pm, you've waited patiently...

NEVER arrive within 30 mins of the "starting" time.
It's always the same?
Methinks you like those ads.

Ach, I know Fungus, I know.
But it's always those occasions when you arrive nonchalantly 20 minutes after the 'starting time' that you actually miss those first few minutes and / or a chav is in the seat you paid an extra €1.60 for by booking online.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 April, 2014, 01:33:35 PM
Whispering.

This. Especially the hideous whispering woman from the advert for "Secret Escapes", who sends me into stomach-knotting spasms of kill/hate/disfigure/maim screaming abdabs every time.

Also, people who take a perfectly good black blankie, and turn it the wrong way up, showing the white side, when watching a movie with the lights off- so creating a snowy light-reflective surface right under my face. Notably: My wife.

SBT

SBT

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 14 April, 2014, 09:17:54 PMEspecially the hideous whispering woman from the advert for "Secret Escapes", who sends me into stomach-knotting spasms of kill/hate/disfigure/maim screaming abdabs every time.

I'm normally a peaceable man, but that ad drives me into a frenzy of vocal hate and sincere threats of actual bodily  harm.  DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE WHY WON'T YOU DIE.

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 April, 2014, 10:07:55 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 14 April, 2014, 09:17:54 PMEspecially the hideous whispering woman from the advert for "Secret Escapes", who sends me into stomach-knotting spasms of kill/hate/disfigure/maim screaming abdabs every time.

I'm normally a peaceable man, but that ad drives me into a frenzy of vocal hate and sincere threats of actual bodily  harm.  DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE WHY WON'T YOU DIE.

Not the beautiful Camilla Arfwedson, surely?
I sometimes daydream that I'm the offscreen 'darling' she swoonfully addresses.

Yeah right.

radiator

At the risk of delving (further?) into 'Grumpy Old Men' territory, I want to have a bitch about pop music. Now, I'm not usually one of those tedious people who thinks all music released after their own teenage years is crap, but I do have a beef with a lot of modern pop music, and I believe that there are still very good pop tracks released - it's not aimed at me, etc etc, but it's not too offensive.

But I do have a beef with a certain kind of pop, and it mainly centres on this kind of Black Eyed Peas type songs. You know, the kind of ones that are so utterly repetitious, banal and dumb that they basically sound like a children's nursery rhyme. The kind of song that is catchy, but so devoid of any charm that once you've heard it you never want to hear it again.

Add to that the mass-media's fixation on blaring out the most obnoxious kind of pop at every. available. opportunity - in shops, on ads, on hold music - even in frickin' car parks.... It is utterly inescapable and hard to tune out. Whatever happened to a bit of silence?

I have mild insomnia and often get unwanted bits of music stuck in my head when I'm trying to get to sleep - it drives me up the bloody wall. It's got to the point now where I will actively avoid listening to the radio or any kind of mainstream media for fear of getting some drivel lodged in my head.

Fungus

Gotta love silence. Might also be my age talking - but so what.
There's a top quote - though I can't attribute it right now of course - that points out for all the dumb shit you hear incessantly, none of it beats a bit of peace.
YouTubers do it - what amateur video wouldn't be complemented by, um, techno ?