Main Menu

Lawless 2024

Started by GoGilesGo, 17 December, 2023, 08:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 April, 2024, 01:30:43 PMThe cool thing about Lawless I'm thinking is meeting folks from the board, so whose defo going (I'm defo not sure yet!)

I'm on the guest list, so I'll be there! Not tabling, so look for me in the bar or mooching around the smoking area (which is outside, behind the bar). I'll be there from Friday afternoon through to Monday morning.

If that doesn't put you off, nothing will.  :D
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Oh... Lawless organiser Su Haddrell had a live online chat with Englishman in San Diego, Leonard Sultana last week and the conversation is now up on his YouTube channel.

GoGilesGo

Colin,

if you are deciding between Lawless and Thought Bubble, it depends what you want. Are you looking for a broad comics experience or an intense 2000AD jamboree?

I know you have love for a wide range of comics so you will probably get to meet a broader range of people at TB.

If the Harrogate festival is like last year 2000ad will should have a decent sized presence and should bring along, let's say half a dozen droids. On top of that there will be another 50 or so creators from big publishers through independent, niche presses. However the whole weekend is held inside a very large warehouse-like hall so seems a little impersonal to me.

Lawless is in a very intimate space, moreover Su and the team hit the bullseye with creator : fan ratio. I think they are anticipating around 320 attendees this year...and hosting 35 creators.

The space at the DoubleTree (one fairly large room for droids, another slightly smaller one for traders, an 80ish person capacity conference room for talks, a middling space for the Dave Roach exhibition) is perfectly-sized. I went last year and never felt rushed, never felt like I was going to miss a signing or sketch opportunity, never looked at a queue and thought, why bother? In fact, the very opposite: I chatted to umpteen artists and writers and the longest I waited for anything was a 15 minute queue for a bespoke Henry Flint sketch.

If you want to save a bit of dough

Option One: get an early train on Saturday and aim to be there for 10:30 in time for the first talk, then stay only one night.

Option Two: The action wraps up by 3pm / 3:30pm on the Sunday so if you think you can get everything achieved in one day maybe get a day return and head back home on Saturday night.

My vote is Lawless, and yes, I am defo going.

Trooper McFad

I'll be making the trek from CalHab with the better half and she's not a comic buff but has always enjoyed the event. Su and her crew do an amazing job and make everyone feel welcome.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Colin YNWA

Good work (or maybe not!) folks. That's all good stuff. I've been to Thought Bubble, but not since it moved to Harrogate and have never been to Lawless. Which was part of the temptation BUT as goGilesGo says I do like me comics across the board so Thought Bubble is generally more up my street and closer. But you all make Lawless sound great fun, in a small 'n cozy sort of way.

I was ready to book this weekend but might give it a bit of settlin' time. Mind there are still rooms at the Double Tree so probably wise not to leave it too long.

Thanks for the food for thought folks.

Le Fink

I've impulsively bought weekend tickets to Lawless just for me but not sorted out travel or lodgings yet. Thanks for reminding me! I'm mostly a fan of Rebellion's output, and this is my first ever comic-con, so ideal for me.

Steve Green

I'll be there Saturday only - hotel's are getting expensive...

Comparing the two is a bit tricky for me as I've tabled more at TB than Lawless/Lawgiver

Lawless is full-on 2000 AD, with a smattering of other stuff, it's small but it's more like a mini-40th event

TB is OK, but I preferred the Royal Armouries

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Steve Green on 20 April, 2024, 05:26:46 PMTB is OK, but I preferred the Royal Armouries

Honestly, I don't — I always felt like something was going on elsewhere that I was missing when TB was in Leeds. Harrogate is engagingly compact... everytime someone messaged me to say they're in 'X' pub/bar/restaurant/hotel I'd Google-Map it and it'd be a five minute walk. The convention itself is well-organised and uses the layout effectively.

TL;DR — I much prefer the Harrogate incarnation. Hopefully, I'll see some of you there this year!

Barrington Boots

FWIW I'm going and would be delighted to meet you Colin, should you be able to come along.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Steve Green

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 April, 2024, 07:54:44 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 20 April, 2024, 05:26:46 PMTB is OK, but I preferred the Royal Armouries

Honestly, I don't — I always felt like something was going on elsewhere that I was missing when TB was in Leeds. Harrogate is engagingly compact... everytime someone messaged me to say they're in 'X' pub/bar/restaurant/hotel I'd Google-Map it and it'd be a five minute walk. The convention itself is well-organised and uses the layout effectively.

TL;DR — I much prefer the Harrogate incarnation. Hopefully, I'll see some of you there this year!

Fair enough - Harrogate is more central, but that extra distance from SW London + not having the central area to escape to swung it for me

Colin YNWA

I've loved Thought Bubble in both the Armouries and those couple of years across the City centre. Not been since its been in Harrogate so very interest to see how well that works.

As for Lawless well I have the pss offically stamped BUT that was done just as we were booking a couple of summer breaks so just need to see how I feel in the morning and how financially tender I am.

Meeting folks here, so Barrington Boots that is defo a factor, is the main draw for Lawless. Let's see how a nights sleep does for it all...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Steve Green on 21 April, 2024, 01:01:43 PMHarrogate is more central, but that extra distance from SW London + not having the central area to escape to swung it for me

I can definitely see that — I don't drive, so it doesn't make much difference to me. Although I'm coming from the Midlands, LNER run a train that goes direct from King's Cross to Harrogate three or four times a day. I catch it at Grantham, but it's quite a civilised journey, and reasonably fast up the east coast electrified line... :)