Main Menu

Bargains and deals

Started by sheldipez, 07 March, 2013, 09:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Ohhh nice catch - ordered.

Ghost MacRoth

Don't usually see this one under 90 quid or so.  I already have one in the collection, so thought I'd point it out in case anyone is looking.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JUDGE-DREDD-Mongoose-Roleplaying-Game-HB-OOP-2000AD/293599166233?hash=item445bdfbf19:g:3YMAAOSwFl9e1Ows

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Tomwe

That Gibbons how to book is great. An absolute steal for a fiver.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: CalHab on 21 May, 2020, 08:35:50 AM
How Comics Work by Dave Gibbons is currently £5 on Amazon.

Thanks for the heads up on that.  It arrived the other day, and it's crazily good for £5!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 09 June, 2020, 08:12:04 AM
Quote from: CalHab on 21 May, 2020, 08:35:50 AM
How Comics Work by Dave Gibbons is currently £5 on Amazon.

Thanks for the heads up on that.  It arrived the other day, and it's crazily good for £5!

Yeah I'd echo that took it on a whim and it is excellent - just putting it under the girl childs nose...

sintec

Looks like Rebellion are having a bit of a clear out on ABC Warriors trades https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/on-sale.

I'd dropped by to see where they'd got up to with the Megazine bundles and ended up buying the 3 Return To ABCs books instead as those didn't end up in the Hachette extension and they're a bargin at that price. Would have grabbed the Ro-busters books too but sadly book 2 is out of stock already.

IndigoPrime

Blimey. If you don't have the Hachette run, that nets you all four Mek Files for £25 plus postage.

sintec

Well those didn't last long - pointed a friend at them and by the time he got around to looking pretty much everything had sold out!

Trooper McFad

I was late to the show as the weekly mail shot only dropped into my inbox yesterday instead of the usual Wednesday 😣. By the time I got on to the shop all the ones I had an eye on had gone.
As they say if your not fast your last 🙁.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

CalHab

There seems to be stock available at the moment?

Trooper McFad

Fantastic Calhab jumped in and got Ro-busters Vol 2 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Trooper McFad

And return to mars (Hardback)

sintec

Oh blimey so they have - guess I'll grab those Ro-busters volumes as well then.  Only downside is 2 lots of postage but they're still an absolute bargin.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: I, Cosh on 30 June, 2016, 10:14:35 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 30 June, 2016, 05:57:32 PM
May well have been the same Humble (as if they are) Bundle I got Alex and Ada vol. 1 from and I've just read that and its an absolute trimuph. Loved it and will defo be getting the rest of that. Has been accused of having overly simple art, and while I'm not generally a fan of Jonathan Luna's work here it slightly stilted and stiff simple style seems entirely appropriate. The story is so far a compelling unromance and quite sublime.

I think it was. Sadly, I didn't much care for that either. I thought the art was rudimentary rather than simple and the writer just seemed enthralled with this revolutionary idea he'd had about how future people might be able to shag a robot. There's substantially more substance in the incidental relationship between PJ and Inga.

This is from sometime back and a different thread but I thought I'd continue it here as I've finally read the rest of this as ... I' Cosh was completely right... well okay not completely I still think the art works in the context of the story. But the relationship between man and robot brought to illegal sentience doesn't develop in a way that feels real. Alex is more robot and 'perfect' than Ada and utterly unconvincing. The world events that surround their fantasy relationship feel as manufactured as the robotic cast. Just there to try to stir event and create stakes.

Then, well then the end is terrible. Absolutely terrible. It feels like its trying to be bold. There are a couple of shocking events and Alex spends [spoiler]25 years in prison[/spoiler] and Ada is essentially [spoiler]killed[/spoiler]. Eventually reunited those shocking event have had no effect on Alex at chuffin' all. He's still an unspoiled paladin. It completelt removes the impact and those[spoiler]25 years[/spoiler] feel like the 12 or so panels it gets compressed into and grey temples aside it means nothing.

That in the end would be enough to undermine any work that had happened before, but alas the good work done in the first 6 or 7 issues had already been slowly undermined by the subsequent 7 or 8. Such a shame as it started with great potential which just wasn't realised.

IndigoPrime

I liked it a lot more than you did, but, yeah, the ending was awful. For me, the majority of the story worked within its own world quite well, but the last issue really didn't work at all.