Main Menu

iPad prices versus 2000ADonline store

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 06 June, 2017, 11:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

I notice that the graphic novel prices are currently higher through the iPad app but if I go to the online store I can get the digital version usually for £3 cheaper and then it shows up on my iPad. Lovely.

Is this a deliberate pricing policy to reflect the costs you have to pay to apple for handling digital content?

Bu the way, thanks for having the feature that stops me buying digital content I already. Saved me another £9.99.  :-[

2000ADWebDroid

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 06 June, 2017, 11:20:00 AM
I notice that the graphic novel prices are currently higher through the iPad app but if I go to the online store I can get the digital version usually for £3 cheaper and then it shows up on my iPad. Lovely.

Is this a deliberate pricing policy to reflect the costs you have to pay to apple for handling digital content?

Bu the way, thanks for having the feature that stops me buying digital content I already. Saved me another £9.99.  :-[

Hi Eamon - this isn't actually a deliberate pricing policy change, we do actually try to harmonise prices across all our retail platforms and recently reviewed (and in a number of cases lowered) our Prog, Meg and subscription pricing. It's due to Apple putting up the UK price for some of their pricing tiers recently. We will review the digital graphic novel pricing very soon to bring the UK pricing back to previous levels across all our platforms (i.e. to £9.99 in most cases).

In the meantime, as you noticed, you can still purchase digital graphic novels at the original price point via the 2000 AD web shop https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/graphic-novels, and any purchases made there will be available to download and view via our iOS 2000 AD app (in any of our 2000 AD reader apps, in fact).

BTW we're aware the 2000 AD web shop is quite slow at the moment, but are currently working on some major performance optimisations which we hope to be able to put in place soon.

IndigoPrime

Presumably also, buying from the 2000 AD shop leaves a bigger cut for Rebellion/2000 AD? I've no idea what back-end's being used there, but anything bought through Apple means Apple takes a hefty cut.

2000ADWebDroid

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 June, 2017, 01:20:19 PM
Presumably also, buying from the 2000 AD shop leaves a bigger cut for Rebellion/2000 AD? I've no idea what back-end's being used there, but anything bought through Apple means Apple takes a hefty cut.

Yes, we get 100% of the revenue (after VAT is deducted) from digital sales made through our own 2000 AD web store. The web shop's backend was developed in-house. For purchases made through iOS or Android Apple/Google take a 30% cut...  So more money per transaction is available for producing new Thrills from sales made through our web shop than through iOS/Android sales...