Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Two episodes in. Lots to love but especially the Ahab vibe from Frank (surely a nod to Once Upon A Time In The West) Griffin. And Sherriff Bill is a fabulous character!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

ming

Yeah, Godless is great fun (and I do love a slow burn).  There's some basis in fact for the town-populated-solely-by-women-after-menfolk-all-killed-in-the-mine thing - somewhere in Utah, where it lasted a couple of years, I think.

We've just started a Firefly re-watch :lol:

Keef Monkey

Quote from: radiator on 14 February, 2018, 06:29:29 PM
The Good Place.

Not even through season 1 yet but I love it so much already.

I would describe it as the charm and wit of Parks and Rec meets the high concept insanity of Rick and Morty.

Forking great.

Loving this too, only a few episodes into season 1 but every time we've got a spare 20 minutes it goes on, which is the slot Parks & Rec, 30 Rock and Brooklyn 99 usually occupy for us. Easy to digest and fabulously more-ish. Everyone in it is fantastic too.

Daveycandlish

Wife bought me the Hammer House of Horror tv series box set from the 80s.
The one with the hitcher in the rain has stayed with me for decades.
She's a canny lass,  really.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

CalHab

Three episodes into Altered Carbon and it's enjoyable so far. I read the book a few years ago and would probably be totally confused if I hadn't. My wife gave up after the first episode.

Greg M.

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 15 February, 2018, 09:43:15 AM

'Children of the Full Moon' was one of my favourites - my father had described it vividly to me as a child (I was werewolf-obsessed) and when I finally saw it, it turned out to be just as good as he'd made it sound. (Normally, my dad's versions were superior to the actual thing.) 'Guardian of the Abyss' is a good one too, with the mighty Paul Darrow hamming it up royally.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 15 February, 2018, 09:43:15 AM
The one with the hitcher in the rain has stayed with me for decades.
She's a canny lass,  really.

the plastic mac in the phonebox was the bit that stayed with me for some reason....  ;)

James Stacey

Godless is incredible. Watch Godless.

radiator

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 15 February, 2018, 08:30:00 AM
Quote from: radiator on 14 February, 2018, 06:29:29 PM
The Good Place.

Not even through season 1 yet but I love it so much already.

I would describe it as the charm and wit of Parks and Rec meets the high concept insanity of Rick and Morty.

Forking great.

Loving this too, only a few episodes into season 1 but every time we've got a spare 20 minutes it goes on, which is the slot Parks & Rec, 30 Rock and Brooklyn 99 usually occupy for us. Easy to digest and fabulously more-ish. Everyone in it is fantastic too.

Yeah, the cast are all wonderful. Kristen Bell is hilarious and Ted Danson seems to be having a great time, but the standout is probably the actress who plays Janet, who basically steals every scene she's in.

Was surprised (and a little skeptical) to see Jameela Jamil who I vaguely remember as hosting T4 back in the day, but she's absolutely amazing in it too. Apparently she'd never acted before landing the role which is insane.

Tiplodocus

The Good Place.
, but the standout is probably the actress who plays Janet, who basically steals every scene she's in.

Not an actress!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 February, 2018, 07:27:23 PMI'll second this recommendation. I loved it. Very happy to learn that they haven't ruled out a Season 4.
Although equally good to note it's a case of "only if the bloke who did the first three wants to and feels he has as sufficiently good idea".

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 16 February, 2018, 12:21:42 PM

The Good Place.
, but the standout is probably the actress who plays Janet, who basically steals every scene she's in.

That honour surely goes to Derek.

I love that I think of Good and Bad Janets as entirely different people*. D'Arcy Carden does great work on Twitter too. 

E.g. https://mobile.twitter.com/DarcyCarden/status/963557836448874496

*not people.

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 February, 2018, 05:32:51 PM
That honour surely goes to Derek.

Well, I for one can no longer listen to wind chimes any more...
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Mardroid

Quote from: CalHab on 15 February, 2018, 11:51:34 AM
Three episodes into Altered Carbon and it's enjoyable so far. I read the book a few years ago and would probably be totally confused if I hadn't. My wife gave up after the first episode.

I saw the first episode of this. I liked the sci-for ideas, the tech and there's an interesting plot. That being said, I wasn't that taken by it. (I think it's something about the  unlikability of the main characters, and lot of cliche in the plot points and performances.)

I wasn't going to give up after just one episode though, and I'm encouraged you're  3 episodes in and liking it.

I continue to watch Black Lightning which (with some reservations) I quite like. And a Korean Odyssey, which is kinda cute and amusing (and I the ghosts are still fairly creepy and unsettling) but I'm finding the romantic plot rather repetitive and tiresome. It's not bad, but I think they could have done so much more with the premise, and toughened up the main female character, who still seems to spend most episodes as a damsel I'm distress. Maybe they'll do that in future, I'll stick with it for now.

[spoiler]There was some amusing macabre humour last episode with the zombie girl dropping her eyeball. Someone else picked it up for her, before realising what it actually was. [/spoiler] Heh heh....

Theblazeuk

Altered Carbon was alright, not sure how much someone who hadn't read the books will enjoy - lots of gaps papered over by my recall of the novel I think (though can't be sure). Takeshi Kovacs is a bit pants throughout as he mainly acts as a punching/stabbing/shooting/torture bag. And I doubt the Envoy/revolutionary past thing translated well, certainly a big weak point for me in the series. But violent and fun in a cyberpunk way for the most part