Main Menu

Prop sale

Started by Steve Green, 26 October, 2012, 03:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

In case anyone isn't watching everything, here are some of the sales today:-

Judge Dredd Complete Costume & Utility Belt (with Stunt Double components) - 001 - 44 bids - £16,869.00
Original Judge Janus Costume & Utility Belt - 013 - 42 bids - £3,200.00
Original Sy (Nathan Wheatley) Costume - 018 - 26 bids - £112.00
Kay's (Wood Harris) Original Clean Vest Costume - 027 - 8 bids - £155.00
Original Peach Trees Paramedic Overalls & Utility Vest - 035 - 19 bids - £180.00
Big Joe (Joe Vaz) Original Costume - 046 - 14 bids - £48.00
Original Judged Clan Member SFX Leather Jacket - 055 - 25 bids - £244.00
Original Peach Trees Technician Overalls - 062 - 18 bids - £51.01
Original Halls of Justice Female Control Room Supervisor Uniform - 074 - 12 bids - £312.00
Original Justice Department Women's Leather Belt & Buckle - 096 - 26 bids - £255.00
Ma Ma's Original Smashed "Guthrie" Judge Trophy Helmet - 124 - 96 bids - £1,650.00
Small Assortment of Original Production Made Public Transport Decals - 194 - 7 bids - £21.00

As you can see fellow forumites, the prices for some of the goods are not too bad. I was surprised at a few, Judge Janus and Kay's outfit especially. Obviously there was a few more items in that first days sale but I couldn't be arsed copying everything!

Stan

Quote from: o1s1n on 04 February, 2013, 06:51:40 PM
Depends on your budget and how rare the item is really. If you have X amount set aside and have been waiting ages for one to show up then go for it. If it's a popular item it will be bid up and you'll probably end up paying close to max either way.

If it's a common item though, sniping is the only way you should go if you want to get bargains.

It eliminates bidders who don't know how to proxy bid properly by removing their chances of outbidding you. As a result, you get the item cheaper.

Some think this is underhanded, I think it's common sense. All's fair in love and war! :)

Yeah, I don't see a problem with that at all. It just seems like common sense to me. Though whatever gets your rocks off.

o1s1n

Quote from: sheldipez on 04 February, 2013, 07:02:43 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 February, 2013, 03:43:39 PM
I'm not an eBay expert - What happens if someone does bid huge and then turns out to have no money - would the whole auction need to be re-run, or does it go to the next highest bid?

If the highest bidder (winner) backs out of an auction you (as the seller) can issue a "second chance offer" to the 2nd highest bidder; they recieve what is basically a buy it now email to purchase it at the price they bidded, if they also change their mind the seller can continue down the line of bidders until a legit bidder accepts the offer. I've had to do this many a time myself.

There is one huge problem with second chance offers and you should be wary whenever you receive one.

Say the bid is currently £50 (which is your bid) - your maximum proxy bid however is £70.

Someone comes along and outbids you by putting down a proxy bid of £100. They win the auction for the the next increment after your highest proxy bid (say it was £72)

Suddenly you get a 'second chance offer' as the winner pulled out. The offer then comes to you as your proxy bid was the second highest offer - £70.

Seems fine right? Wrong. If a seller is dodgy, it's a very easy way for them to get the absolute most out of your proxy bid. All they have to do is to create a shill account, put down some crazy high bid which wins the auction and then make an offer to the second highest seller at their max proxy bid.

Long story short, if you ever get a second chance offer, check the item bid history to be safe. Obviously it's fine if you're happy paying your highest proxy bid on the item, but it's dodgy nonetheless.

Colin YNWA

Yeah I've always had a problem with second chance bids for just this reason.  Not sure how this would work technically, but to be fair it should work that the bum bid is removed completely and therefore you're highest bid prior to the bum bid should be the offer you get... if that makes sense. So using the example before you were at £50 a last bid comes in which moves it to £72, the next bid up from your max bid of £70. That bidder drops out and therefore their bid is removed entirely and it goes to the next highest 'active bid, your previous one of £50. Do that and immediately sharp practice is removed?

opaque

Totally agree but then Ebay would probably say if you didn't want to pay x amount then why did you bid that high?
Not fair when someone is shilling but when they are not you will only pay what you said you were willing to pay.

Thanks for posting those prices CF, it always simply comes down to who is willing to pay more doesn't it. And I suppose something like a whole Dredd costume will retain it's value as the main character.

JOE SOAP

If you can make Toronto next week, there's another big prop sale

Want to own a piece of movie history?

Costumes used in the recently-filmed remake of RoboCop are being offered for sale to the public.
The sale is marketed through ReadySetRecycle. com , a group of "entertainment industry professionals who are appalled to see thousands of tons of scenery, props and costumes ending up in landfill every year" and the sale is being held at Pinewood Toronto Studios from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Jan. 31 and Feb. 1.
Interested parties should visit the Pinewood location at 225 Commissioners St. and tell security at the gate they're looking for the RoboCop sale. They will be directed to Mill Shop 3, where the wardrobe from the film remake is being stored.
Sales are cash only.

ReadySetRecycle.com also announced that a sale of sets, set decorations and props will take place from Feb. 13 to 15 for RoboCop , a remake of the 1987 film, and another remake, Total Recall, which was filmed at Pinewood and locations throughout Toronto in 2011.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/2013/01/31/robocop_costumes_on_sale_in_toronto.html

COMMANDO FORCES

Ending up in landfill, don't they care about the environment :lol:

MercZ

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 04 February, 2013, 07:28:14 PM
In case anyone isn't watching everything, here are some of the sales today:-

Judge Dredd Complete Costume & Utility Belt (with Stunt Double components) - 001 - 44 bids - £16,869.00

This figure stuck out to me because it's more than I make in a year currently  :lol:

Somewhere a fan is incredibly happy though.

COMMANDO FORCES

I'll copy how it ended today sometime :o

Trout

So who won the auction guessing game? I can't find that thread. Stupid search function.

strontium71

...because I hate you.

Trout

COMMANDO FORCES

And so the next batch is about to end :o

Glenn Broadway

£7400 for Judge Alvarez's costume... They're coming down in price John!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Glenn Broadway on 05 February, 2013, 05:10:46 PM
£7400 for Judge Alvarez's costume... They're coming down in price John!

Or up from Judge Janus.