Main Menu

Prog 1805: Master of His Own Universe

Started by A.Cow, 13 October, 2012, 12:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Cover:  I've never gone for D'Israeli's covers before, but you can't go wrong with Alan Moore Dirty Frank.

Nerve Centre:  NOOOOOOOOO!!  Tell me it ain't true!  I f**kin' *HATE* [spoiler]Visible Man[/spoiler].

Dredd:  Wow.  Simply stunning.  Ewing has paced this just perfectly and Harrison's art really makes this something special.

Brass Sun:  Great stuff again.  Like so many other have said, this is already one of my favourites.  A brilliant high concept.

ABC Warriors:  Eh?  Why would somebody in the year 206x refer to 9/11 like it was a recent memory?  Even worse, how many even think of 7/7 today?  Other than that, a solid episode.

Red Seas:  Oh, hang on.  It's not in this week.  I just get so used to skipping the pages when I see it.

Low Life:  Peters & Lee block -- made me laugh.  "It's all a bit starry starry night" -- brilliant.  "[spoiler]I eat money[/spoiler]" -- brilliant.  "[spoiler]Trim my hedge fund![/spoiler]" -- inspired!  Utterly fantastic.

The Simping Detective:  Drokk me!  I'm running out of superlatives here.

Well, aside from the nasty surprise in the Nerve Centre...

BEST PROG EVER!

A.Cow

Damn this lack of edit!

Correction: "how many even think of 7/7 today?"
Should read: "how many Americans talk about 7/7, even today?"

Leigh S

Itsd Rob Williams on the Dredd, rather than Ewing.  I quite like the art, though its not always hard to follow, and the strategic damage to Hersheys costume was predictably silly.   

Storywise, it was OK, though a lot of the ideas were pretty much seen before  - Our man in Hondo had sleeper agent construction worker gets bonked on head as starting point, and theres a lot of Chief Judges Man kind of stuff happening.  Cold Deck next week, which Im very much looking forward to.

As for Visible Man, yay says I.  Boo for a monthly Megazine after all these years of 4 weekly, but that probably should be in the Meg thread once it manifests....

Fisticuffs

An all round great Prog again this week, Simping Detective the highlight for me, totally fantastic.

In a couple of frames in Dredd it looks at though Erik Weller lives at 'Karl Urban ' block! Look at his apartment door when he returns to his family and also at the reversed lettering on the wall in the first panel. :)

I also took a double take at the 9/11 and 7/7 references, seemed totally out of place to me and kind of jarred a bit.

Dark Jimbo

Noooooooo! Spurrier, you bastard!

Fare thee well [spoiler]Travis Perkins, Urbane Gorilla[/spoiler] - we hardly knew ye.
@jamesfeistdraws

Rog69

So, the frame in the Simping Detective's hallucination, the one with the judges hand stirring the cup of tea against a background of biscuits, could this be the same mystery dunker who contacted Dredd a couple of weeks back?

Trout

I love this prog, but I have to say this: in that context, Mr Edgington, it's "populace".

Anyway, five great stories again. :)

Colin YNWA

You know the most incredible thing is this Prog isn't even unique. I mean in any other comic something this good would be so staggering, so mind bending that you'd be diggin' out the superlatives between now and next week. With 2000ad it provides a mere joyous shrug and nod of acknowledgement that well praise the Mighty One, Tharg you done it again. There's been several times during our current 'Golden Age' that the Progs been this good. Other comics, Christ no, not close, but the Prog... well we're truly blessed.

From the cover, to the 'Thrills of the Future' (ignore the crazy local bovines) to the glorious Brendan McCarthy art on the back inside, heck I even really like the add for Thought Bubble in the back, pretty cool...

... oh yeah and the strips. Christ those beautiful, beautiful strip. Almost to a man note perfect. Great Dredd (with much better art than last week, in that the storytelling hit the spot this week). Divinely bonkers ABC Warriors, such tortuous fun, devastating and devastatingly good Simping Detective. Exposition heavy, but some how heavenly Brass Sun, has world building ever been this good? I mean when the Progs this good it seems churlish to pick a favourite but if pushed I'd give it Low Life just for making it the perfect hand, crazy and wonderful.

The thing is its not unique and the fact that there's not a John Smith or John Wagner story among the lot means the truly incredible thing is the Prog can quite easily be even better than this. Now that is absolutely staggering!

vzzbux

[spoiler]The Visible Man[/spoiler]. Yesssss.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 13 October, 2012, 09:24:43 PM
to the glorious Brendan McCarthy art on the back inside

One whole week to go ...

judgefloyd

Simping Detective is a great character, up there with Anderson for mine.

Simply Si

Am I the only one that thinks that Dirty Frank on the cover is doing an impression of Hulk Hogan?!

:o
Do you have to put something witty here?

Hawkmumbler

Yay! More Frank, can't go wrong there. And 3 Dredd-world strips in the prog at once? Tharg, you spoil us!

James Stacey

3 (mostly) black and white strips too. Gotta admire the cojones of Tharg to run 3 B&W strips in the prog so close to a US push.
Scorching stuff at the moment