Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Books & Comics / Re: New Comic Book Day Megathread
« Last post by Colin YNWA on Today at 09:26:49 pm »
Speaking of Astro City... well I will but first let's speak about the fact there's just not enough time to read comics...

... well okay I read an obscene amount of comics but the trouble is that still isn't enough. Over at the Prog threads I often catch myself saying such and such a story will probably be better on re-read and then wonder when the hell I'll get to that and the honest answer is often when I get to those comics on one of my Prog reads... so stuff I'm saying I need to re-read in recent Progs I'll get to in 4ish years assuming my current re-read keeps up its present pace (I've actually added Prog from 2019 into my to read spreadsheet this evening!) ... so what the hell am I doing whittering about this shit for. Well a couple of comics in my recent haul could benefit from a re-read... they'll get added to my spreadsheet and I will get to it... honest.

First there's Vinegar Teeth 4 the last of this interesting series. I loved the first couple of issues of this as I bought both together in a whim and as this series has some pretty difficult but fresh storytelling technics I had time to get into those idiosyncrasies and enjoy them. The last two two bought monthly have been harder to get into and follow. Still I suspect when this gets to re-read it'll be a good un.

Second one to benefit form re-read is Kong on the Planet of the Apes 6 specifically the ending of what has been a fun romp up to this point. On its own this ending felt a little flat and anticlimatic. I suspect however when read back it will read much better and the timing will be fine, he less so. Give me another 4 years or so and I'll come back and let you know.

Anyway elsewhere... if not that far Planet of the Apes Ursus 4 is great, Mage - The Hero Denied 8 MAGNIFICENT and the return of Black Hammer in Black Hammer - Age of Doom 1 sees the core series return, all be it with a new number... well 1 Jeff Lamire really is developing his world gloriously here. I kinda think this is his Astro City (from my understanding of Astro City that is) its brilliant stuff.

Alas for it its not book of the haul, that falls to another returner, not Lazarus 27 mind which makes a very welcome come back, rather its Resident Alien - An Alien in New York 1 which sees Peter Hogan and Steve Parkhouse's supremely underplayd masterpiece slide warmly and grippingly back into our comicsphere. This book really is a delight and Steve Parkhouse's art just gets better and better.

So interesting haul to say the least.
The solo Walter stories were particularly weak, but agreed on the Giant story.
I quite enjoyed Wogue Wobots, glad Robot Wars has made it into the collection, although I'm not sure the Walter solo stories were an essential inclusion. I think Giant was my favourite story in this book.
General / Re: Roy of the Rovers making a come back at Rebellion
« Last post by I, Cosh on Today at 07:16:41 pm »
Can't wait for the first post-match bath scene to see what sort of manscaping Mr Willsher has planned for Poor old Roy.
General / Roy of the Rovers making a come back at Rebellion
« Last post by Colin YNWA on Today at 05:51:21 pm »
Well this could be interesting!

http://royoftheroversofficial.com/news/6

Found via Rob Williams Facebook feed.
Film & TV / Re: Ready Player One review
« Last post by Buttonman on Today at 05:49:44 pm »
I thought it was OK. Too long by 40 minutes and a lot of stuff seemed to be shoehorned in for no good reason other than nerd points. The quest plot was rote large and the peril seemed very mild. The ending with a big pitched battle while our heroes tried to save the day was well worn - 'Rogue One', 'Black Panther'...actually every Marvel film.

Nice to look at though and a few chuckles. Good to see Finchy getting a job too!
Prog / Re: Prog 2077: New York State of Mind
« Last post by Frank on Today at 04:41:05 pm »
Frank- I don't get it.

There go my plans for a three-panel gag strip about Iok Sotot for Zarjaz.

General / Re: Space Spinner 2000AD
« Last post by Lobo Baggins on Today at 04:39:44 pm »
And also getting close to the Best Prog Ever... I’m excited to see what you guys make of late 1983!
Which prog is this?

335. Just my opinion, obviously! I’m sure there’s a thread on that somewhere...

Statistically speaking, the prog that had the highest rating on Barney (back when Barney still had ratings!) was prog 324...
« Last post by sheridan on Today at 03:05:25 pm »
And also getting close to the Best Prog Ever... I’m excited to see what you guys make of late 1983!
Which prog is this?

That was the first one where I became a regular reader (can't remember why, but I must have had problems buying the prog where I lived, because it wasn't until 350 until I started getting absolutely every week).

p.s. I doubt that I'd still be reading comics if it wasn't for Nemesis Book III - the fact that Sláine was also running didn't harm matters.
« Last post by sheridan on Today at 03:04:15 pm »
Which prog is this?

That was the first one where I became a regular reader (can't remember why, but I must have had problems buying the prog where I lived, because it wasn't until 350 until I started getting absolutely every week).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10