Main Menu

All-new Captain Britain

Started by Marbles, 22 February, 2005, 02:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marbles

Great news here :-

New Original Cap Britain story from Marvel UK

Spectacular Spider Man # 114, which features all-original material published by Panini/Marvel UK, pits Spider-Man and Captain Britain against a cosmic cube-enhanced Red Skull. Introducing the character to a new generation of comic readers, this will be the first time in 13 years that Captain Britain appears in an original strip in a British comic. Out on the 17th March and available from all leading supermarkets and newsagents (UK only I'm afraid).

Full credits for the story...

Script: Jim Alexander (Metal Hurlant, Deathwatch)
Pencils: Jon Haward (Tales of Telguuth, Of Ancient Blood)
Inks: John Stokes (Classic Marvel UK artist, Black Knight)
Colours: Alan Craddock (Mercy Heights, Judge Dredd)
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Bico

Ooooh!  'M getting that!

God knows, there's a market for original material from British writers and artists - apart from 2000ad and Str*ker, there isn't any new stuff on the shelves.
Lets hope they take it slow and don't try another Marvel UK debacle like the one that spawned Motormouth, Warheads and the like.  Is Jim Alexander the bloke that wrote Calhab Justice for the Megazine all them years ago?  I won't hold it against him or anything...

shazhughes

Looking at the original post it says that the story is appearing in number 114 so it doesnt seem that they've been rushing things. My friends kids read it and I've noticed many familiar names that I've seen appearing in 2000AD.

Bico

Ah.  I got confused there - it's the kiddie-comic thingy based on the cartoon from a few years ago, not the reprint one with John Romita Jr's Spidey in it.  I'm not so fussed now, but I might give it a look anyway.

Darryl

Sorry prof bear - but 114 would make it the small 'collectors edition' reprint...

Matt Timson

Captain Britain without Alan Davis?

Rubbish.  I'm not reading that...

;)
Pffft...

Trout

I think I might well have a look at this.

Haward's pretty good, and Alexander is long overdue a proper breakthrough piece.

The disastrous shite that was Cal-Hab Justice wasn't entirely his fault, and anyway it was a long time ago. Let's give him a break.

Cue 100 posts ripping up CalHab Justice... :-)

- Trout

Byron Virgo

"Ah. I got confused there - it's the kiddie-comic thingy based on the cartoon from a few years ago, not the reprint one with John Romita Jr's Spidey in it. I'm not so fussed now, but I might give it a look anyway."

Yup you've got it confused with The Daredevils, published by Marvel UK in the early eighties, which featured reprints of John Romita Spider Man, Miller/Janson Daredevil, plus all-new Captain Britain by Alan Moore and Alan Davis, a Nightraven text story by Moore with illustrations by Davis and Dave Lloyd, and features and fanzine reviews written by Moore and an ongoing feature about asian/eastern comics by Steve Moore, as well as reprinting (A) Moore's Dr. Who backup strips.

I have to say that, much as I like John Haward, I wouldn't really be interested in seeing Captain Britain done by nayone other than Alan Davis.

shazhughes

As I said in an earlier post my friends kids read the Spider-Man comic and I'm sure at 6 & 8 they couldn't care less if its done by Alan Davis.
I'm sure I've seen old threads about how do we get kids to read comics and not being so snobbish about them must be on the list somewhere.

Matt Timson

Eh?  Having a preference for an artist is snobbish?  How does that work then?
Pffft...

Grant Goggans

Well, there's "preference" and then there's "Alan Davis and nobody else."

I'd prefer Captain Britain to have the old, silly mask, the red costume with the lion on the chest and the big scepter, myself...

--Grant

Matt Timson

Pffft...

Dunk!

My preference for Alan Davis is based on the fact he's the only artist I've experienced drawing Captain Britain.

Alan Moore run - Alan Davis
Early Chris Claremont Excalibur - Alan Davis
Later Alan Davis Excalibur - Erm Alan Davis

Personally he's just the Capt's artist

Snobbish? No

Assurance of quality when parting with my hard earned? You betcha

All the best to the new team anyways.
"Trust we"

Byron Virgo

Yeah - it's not like I'm saying that they can't make any Captain Britain comics without Alan Davis, just that I won't be buying them. Nothing against the artist and writer, just that I've only a limited amount of time and money, and I'm not really interested in superhero comics per se, but if it was Alan Davis...

Trout

He is a master.

May re-read some DR and Quinch later.

Great stuff.