Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 16 August, 2017, 12:33:08 PMTop Dog is in the Judgement Day volume, so presumably it won't be included here following the announcement no Dredd stuff will be duplicated.
Ah, yes. It's been a while since I read that volume, and it probably zoomed by me. So that's 30-odd pages gone.

QuoteWould the right balance of Dredd stories for this collection be ones where you don't need to know loads of backstory but there are enough references to pique your interest?
That would seem sensible. In fact, something along the lines of the Mad City volume would work very nicely in the 2000 AD collection. A flavour of Dredd, but not mired in continuity. Possibly also some classic series that won't have got an airing – Graveyard Shift, perhaps?

Quote from: BPP on 16 August, 2017, 12:35:15 PMIf the phonebooks are replaced completely for Ace and SD then its a fine time to pass them on to others. Likewise Dante.
I can't imagine Ace Trucking will be – you'd need, what, four books? I can't imagine there being four books of that series in this collection – at least in the initial run.

Quote13 Slaine is way way too much. And I like Slaine.
It's again got me wavering, and I like most of Sláine too. But then I've bought most of this stuff already. Moreover, this collection isn't really aimed at me anyway – it's aimed at the people I now see on Facebook who've not read this stuff in years, but who are genuinely thrilled about the prospect of getting these volumes for a tenner a pop. (That said: 90 quid for a full, hardback run of Nikolai Dante? No brainer.)

QuoteHave we any indication what size the statues re yet? 1/6 1/8 1/12 ?
I've no idea about scale, but the response on Facebook was that they are approximately 14cm high. (As for the books, they are 360 x 220mm.)

Oh, and one other response that I'm sure will make people happy. We already knew Nikolai Dante would be released in chronological order, and so someone asked about other continuity-heavy series. The reply:

QuoteThey will be released in reading order but not consecutively as other titles will be released in between.
That's really good. Lessons being learned from the Dredd run, and ongoing improvement of the customer experience. Great to see.

TordelBack

Yep, that's a key thing to remember: we might be disappointed because we have a lot of this stuff several times over, but all that means is that we're not the target market. I might not fancy the complete Slaine (again) in hardback for £130, but for someone who has only read some of it, it could be a hell of a deal.

IndigoPrime

Exactly. A typical 200–250-page hardback is going to set you back, what, 20–25 quid? Given the page count, these books are a bargain. 130 quid for the complete Sláine? 90 quid for Nikolai Dante? 100-odd quid for Strontium Dog? Barg.

That said, I really wish there was something on the spines this time round, to list the series. (Stickers time?)

matty_ae

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 August, 2017, 02:23:22 PM

That said, I really wish there was something on the spines this time round, to list the series. (Stickers time?)

Seconded. I'd love a nice set of Dust Jackets just reprinting the existing front and back with a spine to match. But I think the whole unlabelled spine is at the heart of Hachette's mantra.

And that's unfortunately why the books aren't equal in value to their retail equivalent.

JamesC

They have numbers on the side. Surely you just need a numbered list on the shelf with the books?
I'm sure some friendly person could design a lovely version to put on the wall if need be.

Steve Green

Quote from: BPP on 16 August, 2017, 12:35:15 PM
If the phonebooks are replaced completely for Ace and SD then its a fine time to pass them on to others. Likewise Dante.

13 Slaine is way way too much. And I like Slaine.

Have we any indication what size the statues re yet? 1/6 1/8 1/12 ?

About 14cm I think

IndigoPrime

Quote from: JamesC on 16 August, 2017, 05:02:41 PM
They have numbers on the side. Surely you just need a numbered list on the shelf with the books?
I'm sure some friendly person could design a lovely version to put on the wall if need be.

I just wish there was something. The Marvel books had portraits of the key characters, for example. No reason the 2000 AD books couldn't have done the same. (Wouldn't have worked for Dredd, obv.)

Southstreeter

This discussion has made me realise just how much classic stuff I already own. I'm not so much of a completist to double dip, so I think it'll just be pick and mix for me, and filling in the gaps. Looking forward to:
Durham Red, as The Empty Suns has been unavailable since forever
Complete Caballistics - it's always annoyed me that the final two series weren't collected
I probably have enough Slaine (apart from the 90s stuff) and all of Nemesis (Book 1 at least three times) plus all of classic Stront. The only annoying thing for me is Dante - I'm just missing one volume (TS vol 1) and would prefer to plug that gap with the original volume (which will never appear now) rather than a hardback that probably contains a chunk of TS vol 2.

IndigoPrime

Ah, bollocks to it.

QuoteThank you for subscribing to 2000 AD: The Ultimate Collection.

I can always change my mind...

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 August, 2017, 07:35:41 PM
Ah, bollocks to it.

QuoteThank you for subscribing to 2000 AD: The Ultimate Collection.

I can always change my mind...

:lol:

JaHawkDroid

13 books of Slaine sounds like a lot, though I suppose it will cover most, if not all of Slaine!

That said, considering the Mega Collection is what got me into 2000AD, and my only external purchases since have been the Prog and the Script Book, plus Agency Files 1, this collection is perfect for me. Complete Dante, Slaine, Nemesis, Stronts... That's a sell right away, even forgetting the ancillary volumes.

judgerufian

Quote from: Neil C on 16 August, 2017, 09:23:30 AM
Just confirmed on Facebook - 13 volumes of Slaine

Yep this decides for me too, way too much slaine to part with such a big wad of cash. Sorry Tharg, i will be cherry picking the collection and wish it the best a luck

Arkady

Sorry if I missed this somewhere obvious but - when is the first batch officially being released/sent out?

JaHawkDroid

First issue is out August 23rd, so we will probably receive the first parcel approximately first week of September

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomwe

Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 17 August, 2017, 11:05:14 AM
First issue is out August 23rd, so we will probably receive the first parcel approximately first week of September

I asked on FB about fulfilment of subscriptions and just got this reply:

Those who subscribed when the collection first launched, along with test subscribers, are first in line to receive your subscription issues. We will begin sending these out next week, and issue 1 goes on sale on Wednesday. Whilst we cannot guarantee that you will definitely receive your delivery before issue 1 appears on shelves, your delivery will contain both issue 1 and issue 2 along with your free mug, so you'll still be ahead of the curve!