Main Menu

Generation Kill

Started by wrly_bird, 27 January, 2009, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrly_bird

Did anyone else watch the first episode of US military drama GENERATION KILL on Sunday...?
For those who didn't it's superb! As good as you'd expect from the makers of The Wire!
Don't worry if you've missed the first episode, nothing's really happened yet. The reporter's arrived, the character's have been set up and the invasion of Iraq has just kicked off.
It's on FX, Sundays, 10pm - GET SOME!

Bouwel

Is that based on a book of the same name?

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Buttonman

It is based on the book of the same name and I lost interest after 45 minutes. Looked OK but I wasn't engaging and ducked out rather than commit to another 7 hours. Big fan of The Wire however.

wrly_bird

Yes. It's based on the bestseller by Rolling Stone journalist Evan Wright and follows Wright's character as he accompanies the First Recon Battalion into Baghdad in 2003. The first episode was terrific!

Bouwel

Hmm. I might give this a look-in as the book was pretty good.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

wrly_bird

C'mon! Is no one out there watching this!!! It's the best thing on TV right now!!! Three episodes so far and the characters are really coming into focus. Absolutely loving this.
FX, Sundays, 10pm

Devons Daddy

i have season one on DVD
stick with it, its slow at times, but i would suggest rather like the wire,
it gets under your skin and you go back for more.

no spoilers from me, since its only just out in the UK, but yeh, some good and i would shudder to think TRUE moments.about the entire conflict and the simple but believable moments the men are involved in.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm loving this and the reason it's slow at times is that's what it's like in a conflict zone. It's not all action like the movies.
 I thoroughly enjoyed the bit where one of the marines was ordered to take a dump before moving off as this reminded me of when my radio op had to hang out the back door of our landrover and take one as we advanced into Iraq because we couldn't stop. He told us afterwards it was a nightmare with all the bumps and trying not to fall out!
I just hope they do another series soon, roger out!

SuperSurfer

Anyone watching this now it is being shown on C4?

I really rate it. Quality tv series. Like The Wire which was a slow burner, taking a few episodes to get into.

Kind of like real life where it takes time to get the jargon, work out who is who etc.

I wondered if the level of joshing was realistic. I would've thought that in reality the soldiers would be bricking it but who am I to know. As so much of it seems well researched I would've thought they would have got this aspect close to reality. Just reading the posts below I see it is based on a best-seller. I don't know anything about that and I don't want to until I've seen the series. 

[spoiler]Interesting how the marines rounded on the embedded journalist from Rolling Stone and how they hate the liberal press. But then the soldiers decided that the journo is ok once they realised he wrote a particular feature in some wank mag. Interesting how they are itching to get stuck in and feel hard done by if they don't get shooting.
[/spoiler]
On at 11.15pm tonight. I recommend.

Paul faplad Finch

I watchhed this on FX when it premiered on there but somehow managed to miss this thread at the time or I'd have been on every week enthusing about it. It really is a fantastic piece of work that only improves as it progresses and comes highly recomended.

It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Peter Wolf

Watching as i type and it seems good so far...

The only unfortunate thing is the ad breaks with their excessive volume levels but its free so i cant complain.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

SuperSurfer

Yeah, what is it with bloody loud ad breaks? I can get my head around the frequency of them but why the volume?

(There's me watching Generation Kill with subtitles and adjusting the volume non-stop so I don't disturb the morons upstairs while they continue slamming every door attached to any wall or kitchen unit. I will definitely complain to their landlord.)

Peter Wolf

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 22 October, 2009, 12:35:19 AM
Yeah, what is it with bloody loud ad breaks? I can get my head around the frequency of them but why the volume?

(There's me watching Generation Kill with subtitles and adjusting the volume non-stop so I don't disturb the morons upstairs while they continue slamming every door attached to any wall or kitchen unit. I will definitely complain to their landlord.)

I believe the excessive volume is meant to somehow make you pay attention to the Ad and reinforce its message.Its some kind of pyschological/manipulative type thing i know that much.

[Just what *is it* that makes people have to constantly slam doors and bang around ? Probably some kind of repressed frustration type thing.Morons]
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death