Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: wedgeski on 11 June, 2019, 09:59:55 AM
Got halfway through Wizball though. Mood: joyful.

oooh, is that the one with the little paint-drops? I'd forgotten that, but I used to love that game!

Link Prime

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 June, 2019, 12:09:33 PM

oooh, is that the one with the little paint-drops? I'd forgotten that, but I used to love that game!

Had Wizball on the C64 and absolutely loved it. Sound effects are carbon etched into my memory.
Never did finish it though - had a black & white TV in my room in 1988, so couldn't determine the droplet colours.

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 11 June, 2019, 10:23:44 AM
I didn't find it anywhere near as engaging or frightening as the main game (which scared me so much one night I had to turn it off).

I nearly bought the original Layers of Fear on the Switch, but fearing a suck-fest like Don't Knock Twice, I didn't bother.
Will get it today based on that comment alone.

Played a bit of the Dark Souls Remastered on the Switch last weekend...didn't have much fun.
Anyone played it through? Juts want to know if it is worth sticking with, and also what style the game has after the initial stages- is it more 'open world'?

wedgeski

Yeah! I also had a B&W telly so it was hard to know what I was doing. Later, when I got a colour portable just as I was moving from C64 to Amiga, a lot of those old games were suddenly a revelation.

Astonishing gameplay, and just about the best piece of title music ever written for the platform: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFYzjU-C3mA

broodblik

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 June, 2019, 12:58:35 PM

Had Wizball on the C64 and absolutely loved it. Sound effects are carbon etched into my memory.
Never did finish it though - had a black & white TV in my room in 1988, so couldn't determine the droplet colours.

Yes, Wizball was plain awesome. It was one of my favorites on the C64
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 11 June, 2019, 10:23:44 AM
I didn't find it anywhere near as engaging or frightening as the main game (which scared me so much one night I had to turn it off).

I nearly bought the original Layers of Fear on the Switch, but fearing a suck-fest like Don't Knock Twice, I didn't bother.
Will get it today based on that comment alone.

It's definitely a similar style of thing and still feels quite low budget in places, but I found it light years better than Don't Knock Twice! That game was a right shocker (and not in a good way).

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: broodblik on 11 June, 2019, 02:34:04 PM

Yes, Wizball was plain awesome. It was one of my favorites on the C64

Wizball was awesome. Played it and finished it on an Amiga 500.

Also just discovered Beat Sabre on the PS4 VR. It's pretty neat.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 June, 2019, 08:04:31 AM
This looks intriguing:

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2019/jun/14/12-minutes-time-loop-thrilller-adventure-games-e3

It does, really curious to see how it plays. As far as intriguing trailers go it's a doozy.

Blasted through Super Mario Odyssey over the last week and it's a bit of a masterpiece. Was pretty hungover yesterday and being able to just curl up somewhere comfortable with the Switch and platform all my cares away really saved the day.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 17 June, 2019, 10:31:55 AM

Blasted through Super Mario Odyssey over the last week and it's a bit of a masterpiece. Was pretty hungover yesterday and being able to just curl up somewhere comfortable with the Switch and platform all my cares away really saved the day.

The boy child loves it.

Keef Monkey

Finished The Cave at the weekend, it's a few years old now I think and a bit of a throwback to old puzzley adventure games (it's directed by Ron Gilbert of Monkey Island fame and published by Double Fine so has good classic adventure lineage!) without getting too obtuse or frustrating. At least, it didn't on my playthrough, results could vary because you choose 3 characters from a roster of people at the start and certain chunks of the game are focused on particular characters. Really enjoyed it and curious to play through with a different group of characters, even if there will definitely be a fair bit of repetition in doing that.

I started Absolver as well but while it looked quite nice I decided pretty quickly it wasn't for me, ran about a bit without much direction and got into some fights with other players and really wasn't my bag.

Keef Monkey

Was having a play through Splosion Man for the first time and quite enjoying it, but some of the more random elements of the levels further in (I think I did about 20 levels) coupled with some control inconsistencies meant it got pretty frustrating. Hit a point where I realized I wasn't enjoying it so I've packed it in!

Keef Monkey

Stick It To The Man, a fun quirky puzzley platformer that's got a real air of old LucasArts adventures in its presentation and in the way the puzzles work (although it's never as obtuse as some of those old point and clickers). If you're a fan of that sort of thing (or Double Fine games like Psychonauts) then it's well worth a punt, and only about 4hrs long so doesn't overstay its welcome.

radiator

Blazing Chrome on Switch

An unashamed tribute to Contra III/Super Probotector, so right in my wheelhouse (Contra III being one of my all time favourites).

It's a lot of fun, but there's something slightly off about it that I can't quite put my finger on. There's something in the overall presentation, or pacing, or balancing that doesn't quite live up to the game its trying so hard to emulate.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 01 July, 2019, 10:36:15 AM
Was having a play through Splosion Man for the first time and quite enjoying it, but some of the more random elements of the levels further in (I think I did about 20 levels) coupled with some control inconsistencies meant it got pretty frustrating. Hit a point where I realized I wasn't enjoying it so I've packed it in!

That's how I felt about it. Had a great time playing it one Saturday night (I remember it clearly, as my missus was out), but by the Sunday afternoon it was too hit and miss.

Just re-played Thomas Was Alone. Great little game.
Lock up your spoons!

Keef Monkey

Loved Thomas Was Alone, so many smart puzzles and the narration gives it a really nice atmosphere.

Played through My Friend Pedro on Switch over the last couple of days (it's probably only about 4hrs long) and had a blast. The controls are maybe a little too fiddly for what it is, meaning one moment you feel like a super invincible gun-kata badass and the next moment you're fumbling about trying to remember how to kick things (or at least that was the experience for me). When it all clicks and you've mastered them a bit and got into the flow of it it's a real treat, feels like a weird mashup of Max Payne and Tony Hawk and seems like it'll be really replayable (gotta get those S Ranks!) so despite being short feels worth the cash.