Main Menu

Attempts at the sample scripts

Started by Emperor, 19 January, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Stephan

Good, technical work. Well done, Jon. When you planning on sending it in?

Jon

Thanks.

Oh, when it's finished. I've just had a load of urgent stuff come in, and a submission for something else. And I already feel a need to address at least 40% of what's there.

Soon....?

marek.dubienski

Judge Dredd - Cycle of Violence in my version.

Jon

Got a bit sidetracked with other things, but page 5.

Steven Austin

Quote from: marek.dubienski on 08 March, 2014, 10:13:46 PM
Judge Dredd - Cycle of Violence in my version.

Hi Marek,

Thanks for sharing your sample pages.

Your line work and inking is nice, its clean and crisp and the story flows relatively well.

My biggest gripe would be with your figure work, you need to get yourself into some life drawing classes as your proportions are way out - head to body ratios, limb length etc.

Keep at it!!

All the best
Steven

ghrendal

working from the sample script.
page 1

Jon

Hi Ghrendal, welcome and all that.  :D

Out of interest are these presented as pencils or final panels?

ghrendal

Final panels? I am working to be a better seq artist than anything else....so tear it apart ..it will only help..im going to post up page two today

pauljholden

Before I looking too deeply into the art, I'd say that Dredd is pretty off-model. Visor is wrong and there's no links on his badge. (Seems petty, I know, but his outfit is about the only thing about Dredd thats etched in stone - well, that and his chin)

pauljholden

Had a chance to look over the art, here's some notes! (yay!)

Panel 1, I'd shrink her head down, it's too large.

Panel 2, I'd make Dredd larger in shot (and higher up) - your perspective shot is wrong here (apologies that this isn't a great link, but should establish why it's wrong: http://www.drawinghowtodraw.com/drawing-lessons/drawing-faces-lessons/cc-figures-in-perspective.html )

Basically, find your horizon line (in this case I found it by tracing the lines of perspetive on the floor, figure out the height of the standing figure, use it as a basis for placing dredd - though dredd will be taller) and that's where his head and shoulders will be. Only problem is he will be overshadowing the female figure, but if you move her closer to the standing guy that problem may go away.

Panel 3, panel 4 - these are fine, a little scrappy, but your child looks like a child, which can be tough and you pulled it off, so +1 :)

Panel 5 Dredd shot, as said, Dredd's outfit is wrong (off-model is maybe too strong, it's his costume that's wrong). His gun isn't terribly convincing, there's plenty of good quality ref for Dredd's gun (though by far the best ref is to actually have one - I have a little tiny dredd gun from a dredd toy... it's invaluable).

Looking forward to seeing the rest!

(This thread: 4 years old, whatever became of all the samples way way up thread...?)

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: pauljholden on 13 August, 2014, 04:53:30 PM
(This thread: 4 years old, whatever became of all the samples way way up thread...?)

Good question. It'd be very interesting to see how the various artists improved or refined their work since posting here.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

ghrendal

Paul....thanks so much man...ill redraw the page with your advice in mind. Thanks!

ghrendal

dazza1008

Shouldn't this be a sticky thread?  :P

staticgirl

ghrendal - as well as the uniform being better your second Dredd has far more character in his expression and appearance which I think is good.