Main Menu

Prog 1938 - The Ruck of the Irish

Started by JamesC, 04 July, 2015, 11:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

A stunning cover by Neil Roberts this week. I think it's quite reminiscent of Mich Austin's style.
I love the colours and it's full of movement.

Other than that, this is one of those 'mid story' progs where everything continues much along the same lines as last week.
Dredd's still great and I'm loving it, Absalom is intriguing and I get the feeling Tiernan doesn't like cyclists, Helium is intriguing and beautiful, Outlier is confusing but action packed, Jaegir is gritty and nasty.

Good solid proggage.

Eamonn Clarke

Great cover, not quite up to the heigts that Roberts scaled with this, but...

Dredd and Joyce continue their Odyssey as they realise the significance of a vital clue while the net tightens around them.

Absalom is top thrill as some new and even nastier players enter the game.

Helium looks visually gorgeous but there's a fair bit of exposition to get through in this episode

Outlier looks big and brutal but somehow hasn't grabbed me on its return?

Jaegir is a bit of a revelation this issue with Atalia hunting war criminals while pondering on the war crime in her own past. The canteen show down and it's handling by the Kashan officer is rather familiar but then there's a nice twist when we learn what she was really doing. The return of this strip is working for me.

No letters or Droid Life this week and the Damage report reveals what TV show currently has Cyber-Matt enthralled.

And Thrill of the Future shows that the Seven will ride again. Hopefully Middenface can get re-armed as well as reloaded.

sheridan

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 04 July, 2015, 03:16:41 PM
And Thrill of the Future shows that the Seven will ride again. Hopefully Middenface can get re-armed as well as reloaded.

I must have missed Middenface losing part of his arm!  And is that Max Bubba to the right of the image?

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: sheridan on 04 July, 2015, 04:03:45 PM
I must have missed Middenface losing part of his arm!  And is that Max Bubba to the right of the image?

In Prog 1870 he was shot in the left shoulder/upper arm.
I think we next see him in a holding pen in 1924 with his left arm gone. Unless I've missed something it would appear that his medical treatment at the end of the Mutant rebellion was not great?

Steve Green

Middenface's missing arm passed me by...

It's Shaggy on the right (I think).

Minkyboy

Damage Report: I will tell you who Cyber-Matt, me while watching Batman Forever!

Dredd: Great stuff. Awesome bar fight and good story progression. Looking forward to seeing Joe take the conspirators apart.

Absalom: "Bloody Harry Absalom" Well indeed. Dark. Love it. Not sure why they let the Guvnor out, he's clearly a bad un. Best line this prog "DNA? You don't want to go messing about with that egghead mumbo-jumbo luv..." No clearly you just want to wring the blood from a dead cat!
Funny both the dark hit squad and the police van both taking out cyclists on the way. Our Commando will be proud.  ;)

Helium: The plot thickens and all makes sense. Didn't feel like the exposition was out of balance to me, more of a big reveal. Love that massive bastard harpoon!

Outlier: Loved the pitch black combat lit up by muzzle flashes. They are so screwed. The Hurde are so much more advanced than the humans, can't think that they would have much problem if it came to a stand-up fight.

Jaegir: Skeletons in the closet. I like Sergeant Klaur but he scares the hell out of me.

Great read. Love my Saturday morning prog.
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Colin YNWA

The Prog is in fine fettle at the moment. Even the two stories I'm now quite won over by normally I'm really enjoying and both Absalom and Jaegir continue on that rich vein of form and both have great episode.

Outlier continues tio built towards something that I'm not quite seeing yet but its a great journey and I'm really enjoying this thrill.

The highlights though are Dredd and Helium both of whom have quite brilliant episodes. Dredd seems to be heading towards its final showdown and really cranks things up this week. Were as Helium has its big reveal, seems to have all its plots in place (I have no doubt that's not right, but now we seem to have a clear picture of whats what) and we're heading into the meat of the tale. Both are supremely exectued.

This line-up is really top rate and so there is getting to be less and less to say. No bad thing all round then!

Proudhuff

loving the (slightly racist) strapline and the puns:Derry Air, Kilroy in Dredd. Absalom is cracking and what is that skull and crown image that has crept into each issue?
Helium is wonderful, Outlier fun and Jaegir top thrill.

I always said Middenpus was armless!
DDT did a job on me

ZenArcade

Is thet some relation of Nearly Normal Norman on the far left skimmer? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Zenith 666

Quote from: Steve Green on 04 July, 2015, 05:57:22 PM

John Wagners just  trying to make it harder for you to cast midden in your stronty sequel after first movie does so well.

Jim_Campbell

Good prog. In a run of good progs. The Mighty One is good to us. :-)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 05 July, 2015, 02:23:55 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 04 July, 2015, 05:57:22 PM

John Wagners just  trying to make it harder for you to cast midden in your stronty sequel after first movie does so well.

We'll see how dedicated the actor is...

Zenith 666

I'll happily lose the arm shave my head and let you hammer in the lumps for the part but you'll have to dub in the Scottish accent Steve.

robert_ellis

Another amazing prog - I'd happily buy trades of all these stories. Can't remember the prog ever having such a strong line-up. Golden Age anyone? All that could make these issues better is a wrap around cover or pin-up!