Main Menu

New Dr Who Trailer

Started by Tjm86, 20 September, 2018, 09:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Maybe it's the fact that I've just finished binge watching Capaldi's last season and been pleasantly surprised but I find myself incredibly ambivalent about the trailer BBC have just released.  I know it's just a teaser and it's hard to take it too seriously with Whittaker constantly waving the sonic screwdriver at the camera but there's something 'off' about it for me that I can't quite put my finger on ....

The worst thing about this is that with all of the fan boy rage over the casting, it's going to be hard to be appropriately critical about the finished product.  Even in the short segments we see in the trailer Whittaker's Dr appears nowhere near as commanding as Capaldi's.  Is that a conscious decision to go with a differently gendered approach to 'crisis management' that ignores standard cliches about women in authority?  Is it a mistake on the part of writers who have fallen into cultural stereotypes? 

I know that early days with a new regeneration are always 'peculiar'.  Colin Baker's first few episodes had him as a complete twonk.  Capaldi was a dithering idiot to start with.  Could it be the 'regeneration reset'?

I do hope that I'm over reading / interpreting what they've released.  Certainly will give it a shot and see what it is like.  Let's face it, whoever the actor in the hot seat there have always been quality episodes and ropey ones.  Even Tom Baker had his share of clunkers.

Steve Green

One thing I really don't agree with is the switch to a wider aspect ratio.

The argument they've given is to make it look more 'cinematic' - but it's a TV show.

Even for a cinematography nerd like me, it feels a bit unnecessary, like they're a bit ashamed of it.

Colin YNWA

More importantly - now with added Sheffield.

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 September, 2018, 09:12:29 PM
Even in the short segments we see in the trailer Whittaker's Dr appears nowhere near as commanding as Capaldi's.  Is that a conscious decision to go with a differently gendered approach to 'crisis management' that ignores standard cliches about women in authority?  Is it a mistake on the part of writers who have fallen into cultural stereotypes? 

Chris Chibnall was quoted this week as saying that the scripts for this series were originally written for a male Doctor, so hopefully that won't be the case. Which should be proof, not that anyone around here needs it I'm sure, that the Doctor's gender makes zero difference to the essential character.

Funt Solo

Trailer Linky

I don't mind what gender the Doctor is, but a Yorkshire accent?  It's not exactly tiffin, what?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

I have to confess that despite being very enthusiastic for a new show runner and a female Doctor, the trailer has left me a bit cold. Plus, I'll be in New York when the first episode airs, so I won't get to see it 'live'... :-/
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

GordonR

Quote from: Funt Solo on 20 September, 2018, 10:37:29 PM
Trailer Linky

I don't mind what gender the Doctor is, but a Yorkshire accent?  It's not exactly tiffin, what?

"Lots if planets have a North."

dweezil2

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 September, 2018, 10:08:36 PM
More importantly - now with added Sheffield.

Hoping for a Def Leppard appearance!  :o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Taryn Tailz

I hope that little snatch of music that plays at the very end of the video (after the 'please subscribe' message) is a sneak peek at the new theme tune, cos it sounded great.

Tjm86

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 20 September, 2018, 10:16:10 PM
[ ... ] Which should be proof, not that anyone around here needs it I'm sure, that the Doctor's gender makes zero difference to the essential character.

You know what, I'm not sure that I'd completely agree with that.  I mean, I know what you're saying but at the same time I don't know if we should be ignoring this dimension.  Let's face it, at present gender identity is a significant issue.  The right to identify your own gender but also how that gendered identity is constructed and how it influences us as individuals.  How we are treated and what opportunities are available.  These are important topics that I would argue apply to all of us.

That being the case then, I'm all for the idea of this dimension of identity being explored.  At the same time, I'd hate to see it descend into cliches.  That to me would be the worst possible outcome.

TordelBack

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 September, 2018, 09:12:29 PM
The worst thing about this is that with all of the fan boy rage over the casting, it's going to be hard to be appropriately critical about the finished product.

Too right.  Nothing really grabbed me about that trailer,  other than a vague feeling that Whitaker was basing her Doctor on the superb Martha Howe-Davies-off-of-Horrible-Histories.

Then YouTube figured I might be interested in Irish vlogger Dave 'Forever Computing' Cullen's thoughts on the matter. 

Somehow I have lived in happy ignorance of the hideous stain on my country that Cullen represents, but suffice to say if I hold any opinion, moral position or belief, Cullen holds the perfect,  loudly repeated, opposite. So after his rigorous expert analysis of the past,  present and future of Dr Who (based,  as far as I could tell, on the past two seasons alone. ..) I am now rendered incapable of doing anything but wholeheartedly championing the coming season.

Twat.

wedgeski

It's certainly cinematic. I can't wait to see JW's take on the Doctor, but my only concern is that the trailers say absolutely nothing about the companions, and they're going to be so crucial to the final quality of the show.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Capaldi's tenure, although I did greatly enjoy many of his episodes, so a change of style isn't exactly a turn-off.

IndigoPrime

I think she'll be great whatever. My concerns rest with Chris Chibnall's previous Who work being extremely variable, and the weird decision to shoe-horn in three companions, thereby presumably reducing the Doctor's screen time somewhat. (As for the earlier comment about approach, that always changes. But also I get the sense many people are sick of the Doctor's overly authoritarian approach over the past two generations, and so could do with that being toned down a bit.)

New bloke behind the music too. Let's hope he and his team understand the basics of mixing.

Steve Green

Maybe one is there just to be killed off in episode 2?

Tiplodocus

I'm sick and tired of that Cullen dickfer showing up as recommended after I watch anything genre based that has a hint of diversity/equality. The thumbnail and titles are enough to put me off. Feck knows how much I would get if I actually clicked on one of his vids while logged in.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!