Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Books & Comics / Re: Journey Planet
« Last post by maryanddavid on 19 March, 2018, 10:25:07 pm »
Great Read.
Film & TV / Re: Last movie watched...
« Last post by radiator on 19 March, 2018, 10:24:39 pm »
You've not been to my local Cineworld then.

I must just be extremely luck - in a lifetime of visits, from dingey fleapits to big multiplex chains, I can count the number of negative cinema experiences I've had on one hand. But then I've also never subscribed to the idea that audiences should sit in monk-like silence during a film either.

For me the distraction of home viewing vs the cinema comes from simply being at home - I'm a fidget, and the older I get the harder I find it to just relax and sit still for extended periods of time. If I'm sitting in my living room, there are a hundred things that can potentially distract me, from my phone, to a work email, to my Switch, to a sink-full of undone washing up - for some reason sitting in an actual cinema just feels much more like a special experience - the outside world just ebbs away and I'm just much more receptive to enjoying a film. Watching something on Netflix just doesn't have a fraction of the impact. It's the same reason I will regularly pay money to go to the cinema to an old watch film I could watch for free at home. Something I've observed is that when I watch a film like, say, Back to the Future or Die Hard on the big screen with a live audience, I notice so many little things I've previously missed, background details, subtle gags etc. It's like seeing it with fresh eyes.

The other major problem with home cinema systems is already apparent from other people's posts - ie that  having a hefty surround sound setup arguably a bit pointless if you have to keep the volume way down.
Prog / Re: Prog 2073 - Future Visions!
« Last post by Alec Worley on 19 March, 2018, 09:33:56 pm »
Bah! Can’t be arsed to figure out the quote function on this thing and I wanna go watch Walking Dead. Anyway, re: “Where’s Durham Red during all this...?”

Following the publication of The Final Solution (1988-90), Durham Red appeared in two solo stories, both by Grant and Ezquerra: her debut solo outing Island of the Damned (1991-92) and The Golden Mile (1993). Both of these would appear to be set prior to Johnny’s death. Several other solo stories that appeared decades later, including Grant and Ezquerra’s The ‘Nobody Wants This Job’ Job (2012), Running Out of Patients by Leah Moore, John Reppion, Jan Duursema and Dylan Teague (2014), and The Calling by Robert Murphy, Duane Redhead, and Kirsty Swan (also 2014), also appear to be set while Johnny’s still alive and Red is off happily doing her own thing.

Following Johnny’s kicking of the bucket within by the Strontiverse timeline, Durham appeared among the ensemble cast of the spin-off series Strontium Dogs (note the plural), as Johnny’s former comrades drift off through the galaxy looking (and mostly failing) to find something interesting to do. In Crossroads (1994) by Peter Hogan and Nigel Dobbyn, she gatecrashed a bounty sought after by fellow mutants the Gronk, Bullmoose Saxon, and Feral Jackson, before running into a blind witch known as ‘the Walking Lady’.

In Mirrors – a Hogan/Harrison solo story that followed later that year – Durham has a good long think in her underwear, almost gets burned at the stake, then summons a vampire army and takes over the world. Fortunately, it was all just a dream-vision brought on by the Walking Lady, and its back to Strontium Dogs with High Moon (1995). This one opens with Red undergoing one of those trippy dream quests in the desert that were always popular in the ‘90s, before she settles into helping Bullmoose and the Gronk search for a cure for the helplessly polymorphic Feral.

Stopping off at the Doghouse, she learns that she can no longer be given commissions due to a whopping great bounty placed on her head by the Goth-King (whose relative Durham murdered back in Island of the Damned). Grounded until further notice, Durham quits being a Stront, says her goodbyes and sets off to seek her fortune among the stars alongside Johnny’s old pal Frinton Fuzz. This leaves Bullmoose and the Gronk to get back on with curing Feral...  High Moon is notable for Red’s costume change, from the Ezquerra’s bandolier-and-chainmail-loincloth ensemble to Harrison’s ‘manga space babe’ look. Hogan and Harrison’s Deals followed later in 1995, for which my notes appear to have vanished... :P

By 1996 it was decided Strontium Dogs had had its day. In the Durham solo series Night of the Hunters (disowned by Hogan and curtailed and rewritten by editor David Bishop), Durham offers out the Goth King in a Hunger Games-style televised deathmatch full of freaks and killers. (Poor Frinton cops a sniper’s bullet meant Durham.)

Dan Abnett was then charged with tying up the loose ends by writing the solo one-shot Epicedium (Abnett’s first work on the character). Here Durham mourns Frinton’s passing with a week-long bender that takes over an entire city. She makes her peace with the Goth-King, who cancels his bounty, allowing Durham to walk off into the starset with an assassin-priest named Toroni (with whom she hooked up in Night of the Hunters). All of which paved the way for Durham to wake from cryo-sleep a thousand years in the future in Abnett and Harrison’s milestone three-book series that began with The Scarlet Cantos in 1998.

Durham also appeared in the terrific little series called The Scarlet Apocrypha (scripted by Abnett), which ran in the Meg throughout 2002 and posited Durham as a kind of Moorcockian Eternal Champion, popping up in various timelines (feudal Japan, 60s Italy on the set of an exploitation movie, and so on).

Hope this helps.
Film & TV / Re: Last movie watched...
« Last post by abelardsnazz on 19 March, 2018, 09:28:40 pm »
The Square. I really liked this. What at first appears to be a satire on the art world moves on to encompass most aspects of modern life. Funny, surprising, and at times jaw-dropping, it's perhaps a bit too long at 2.5 hours, but it's never dull and brilliantly acted. Deserved its Palme D'Or at Cannes.
General / Re: Any word when Savage books 7,8 and 9...
« Last post by SpaceSpinner2000 on 19 March, 2018, 09:11:48 pm »
New series: Savage vs Hammerstein vs Dredd vs the absolute limits of continuity

Which arguably has already happened since Mega City 1 is mentioned in the last of Hammerstein's War Memoirs.  One of his platoon mentions it as they are demobbed.

In Ro-Jaws memories they watch Giant and the Harlem Heroes play Aero-ball. I think MACH 1 is the only early thrill that isn't explicitly linked to the rest.
General / Re: 2000AD Lego builds
« Last post by SpaceSpinner2000 on 19 March, 2018, 09:04:24 pm »
Judge Fish is my new fave! OMG
General / Re: Space Spinner 2000AD
« Last post by SpaceSpinner2000 on 19 March, 2018, 09:01:49 pm »
Interesting! It is pretty amazing to see the Micro Page with actual gigantic BASIC programs in them in the Progs. I don't have a ton of memory of the actual crash itself, I came into video games just when the first Nintendo system was coming out. But you can get a sense of how down people were on video games at the time by looking at old ads for the NES, that stress peripherals like the light gun and the robot instead of the actual games! This is a cultural difference I never expected, and I think it's pretty cool!
Prog / Re: Prog 2073 - Future Visions!
« Last post by Richard on 19 March, 2018, 08:51:36 pm »
Given the impressive level of detail in Chris Weston’s work, I suspect we’d be waiting even longer between stories. Let’s not break up a winning team again and keep CW on Dredd.

Bye, Dan Abnett’s Durham Red stories were brilliant. The third one was hard to follow week by week, but all in one go it makes perfect sense.
General / Re: Space Spinner 2000AD
« Last post by WhizzBang on 19 March, 2018, 08:05:46 pm »
Fox was spot on about computer games in the UK. The early 80's were a boom time for gaming with the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 being the leading machines in the early years. Very few people in the UK had heard of the 'Great Video Game Crash' at the time it happened.

There was an awful lot of terrible but cheap games around but it was all new and exciting at the time. There was a lot of originality too but also a huge amount of arcade clones. Games were generally put together by just one or two people and the better games programmers actually had a following (Matthew Smith, Mike Singleton, John Ritman, the Stamper Brothers, the Darling Brothers) amongst games fans such was the quality of their output.
News / Re: Michael Fleisher
« Last post by JayzusB.Christ on 19 March, 2018, 07:56:51 pm »
 I'm not going to bullshit you here, I didn't like anything he did for 2000ad. But his takeover from Steve Ditko on the original Shade the Changing Man was good. Haven't read anything else he did.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10