Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

What next for Connor McGregor?

Marathon against Mo Farrah?

Bike race against Bradley Wiggins?

Punching balls back to Roger Federer?

If Floyd Mayweather ever came over here I'd chase him 'round the field with dog shite on the end of me hurl, I swear to god
You may quote me on that.

von Boom

Quote from: von Boom on 15 June, 2017, 07:35:17 PM
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 15 June, 2017, 06:58:43 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 15 June, 2017, 05:46:41 PM
Bruce Lee fights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GzHAvh0U4
I saw that a few days ago. I wonder how Bruce Lee would have fared against a modern day MMA fighter. Would the famous one inch punch push be effective?

In all honesty I don't think Lee or an MMA fighter would stand a chance against a boxer of the same weight class.

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 16 June, 2017, 10:27:42 AM
I dunno, a boxer's arms or legs don't bend any differently than other peoples.

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 16 June, 2017, 12:25:56 PM
So many variables. I would put my money on the boxer using boxing rules and in general, the MMA fighter using MMA rules. If it gets to grappling I would say game over for the boxer.

Quote from: Link Prime on 16 June, 2017, 12:52:34 PM
Get the popcorn for August 26th.

I think we can put the boxer v. MMA fighter to rest now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/27/sports/floyd-mayweather-beats-conor-mcgregor.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

SuperSurfer

Quote from: von Boom on 27 August, 2017, 05:55:15 PM
I think we can put the boxer v. MMA fighter to rest now.
We can put to rest the argument that one of the greatest boxers in history (at 40) is better than one of the greatest MMA fighters: at boxing. Can't say I was surprised at the result. Well I was surprised, as I expected Mayweather to have won before the 10th round.

McGregor gave a pretty good account of himself.

TordelBack

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 27 August, 2017, 09:59:46 PM
McGregor gave a pretty good account of himself.

Certainly has a pretty good account now.

Not sure I'd want to have Mayweather wail on me for 10 rounds for any sum, but that was a very big number.

No interest in boxing since Ali retired (and certainly none in MMA), but I appreciate McGregor as local-boy done good who is still a friendly sight in the pub, and his giving Imelda May the chance to grab the most enormous career boost has endeared him to me no end. Up the Dubs.

Hawkmumbler

So as a lot of peeps know i've been going through a lot of rough shit recently, thankfully seem to be over the hill now but needed the slim down my online presence a little to achieve that. But even in spite of that two forumnites kindly reached out to me over this here board to check if I was OK, and though we've never met before, I can't thank you wonderful chaps enough...you know who you are, but that extends to all of ye, best place on the web without a doubt.

The Legendary Shark

Glad to hear things are settling down for you, Hawkie. All the best!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

Glad to hear it hawk... there are some right nice bar stewards around these parts.
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Glad to hear it Hawk - were you in town this weekend for all the Pride shenanigans?

Hawkmumbler

Cheers chaps, it's all working out, still got stormy stuff on the horizon but it's all stuff I think I can weather. Life sure is...interesting, at times. But a few doors close and a few more open, life goes on.

Yeah DDD, I was on Saturday, sadly couldn't make it on Sunday or today but still had an absolute blast, it's just a wonderful venue and a great time. :D

The Legendary Shark

Just watched Logan again and still love it, was wondering why I'm so fond of films where the hero [spoiler]dies at the end[/spoiler].

I think it's because most of us are going to [spoiler]die in bed[/spoiler]. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing but it really doesn't seem all that meaningful either - well, beyond the fact that it means we're top animal, which is kind of meaningful in its own way. It never appealed to me, though it will probably be my fate.

Wouldn't we all rather go out on our feet, protecting someone else, or is that just me?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Modern Panther

A quick message for the quiet heroes of comic book production...

Easy.  Don't see what the big deal is. 

Dandontdare

Oooh, crossbar I - Jim won't like that  :lol:

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 September, 2017, 05:07:45 PM

Should've been in Comic Sans, just to highlight how necessary lettering droids are ;)

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 September, 2017, 05:07:45 PM
Letters who use Crossbars on comics get an Ironbar to their knees, with love from Campbell.

Frank

If, like me, you've ever wondered whether Jonathan Ross is really a nerd or just one of those people who likes Marvel movies, the following video settles the matter.

The vast majority of this is taken up by discussion of Micronauts (Mikooroman), but along the way we learn a lot about Oo-an McGregor and Mark Mill-AARR, too.

If, like me, you've ever wondered how valid Tharg's claim that Ross is a squaxx really was, the answer lies here also*. And the backdrop is 2000ad's booth at Comicon:

https://youtu.be/62zIih0bdLc

* To be fair, anyone who understands it's cooler to name check Carlos for Stronty Dog than Dredd is alright by me.