Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First episode of Dredd TV series  (Read 1180 times)

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Letterer to the Stars! (and PJ)
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
Re: First episode of Dredd TV series
« Reply #45 on: 31 July, 2017, 08:19:03 am »
PS - please try to stay on topic instead of attempting to make sarcastic comments based on your issues with my response in another thread. I won't engage with you further on this matter. Good luck in all your future endeavours.

Gee. I dunno. I think if you're going to explicitly call someone a liar, the very least you should be prepared to do is justify a pretty defamatory statement, but I'm old-fashioned that way.

If you're not prepared to do that, I think you should head back over to the other thread and withdraw your accusation immediately but, again, I'm old-fashioned.
Eagle Award Nominated Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Pete Wells

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 31 July, 2017, 09:30:31 am »
I'd like to see "The Pit" style opening. I think we kinda know that Dredd is going to be a background character so let's introduce the supporting cast and the scope of the world/series. This way we could have a few different cases being followed, the nature of which would be vital - maybe one a bit whacky (say protecting a competitive eater/freak), one more tense/grisly/hard hitting (serial killer type) and maybe one techy/futuristic. Maybe two out of the three wrapped up smartly in the opening episode with a third ongoing, or linked to something bigger.

There's so much potential, I'm really excited! I'd like to see some big character deaths at unexpected times to give that 'no one is safe' vibe and some SJS tension to add further drama.

JLC

• Page Numbering Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 31 July, 2017, 05:43:30 pm »
I'd like to see "The Pit" style opening. I think we kinda know that Dredd is going to be a background character so let's introduce the supporting cast and the scope of the world/series. This way we could have a few different cases being followed, the nature of which would be vital - maybe one a bit whacky (say protecting a competitive eater/freak), one more tense/grisly/hard hitting (serial killer type) and maybe one techy/futuristic. Maybe two out of the three wrapped up smartly in the opening episode with a third ongoing, or linked to something bigger.

There's so much potential, I'm really excited! I'd like to see some big character deaths at unexpected times to give that 'no one is safe' vibe and some SJS tension to add further drama.
Sounds good. Most shows nowadays have an arc as well as plots wrapped up in single episodes. I think that would work in MC1 show. Also maybe take a leaf out of The Walking Dead's book, in so far as mix things up a bit in terms of characters & what happens to them. In that show they keep certain key events but transpose them to different characters.

The Legendary Shark

• Bionic Fingers
  • Tip: Sharks only attack you if you're wet.
    • View Profile
    • the_sharkpool blog
« Reply #48 on: 31 July, 2017, 06:27:56 pm »
Maybe start with a mystery story about (holding) posts disappearing...

Richard

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 31 July, 2017, 08:40:11 pm »
I like Pete's idea the most.

The Legendary Shark

• Bionic Fingers
  • Tip: Sharks only attack you if you're wet.
    • View Profile
    • the_sharkpool blog
« Reply #50 on: 31 July, 2017, 09:22:44 pm »
I really have only one wish - please, just let it be good.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
    • Massacre For Boys
« Reply #51 on: 05 August, 2017, 06:49:08 pm »
I think the young PJ Maybe would be a good place to start. One of the classic villains, but has the advantage of not requiring a massive FX budget to do properly.

Tiplodocus

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 14 August, 2017, 12:11:32 am »
Are you  going to buy up all copies of the second episode?

No Dark Judges please.

But episode 1 needs to finish with a "Duck Me!" moment.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

dweezil2

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • Credit Cards Accepted.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/ashleybeechbum
« Reply #53 on: 14 August, 2017, 10:08:35 am »

No Dark Judges please.

I'd argue that, done well, a dark judges storyline could be exceptionally compelling-kind of Hellraiser in Mega-City One.
But best held of until season two or even season three.

JLC

• Page Numbering Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 14 August, 2017, 02:24:53 pm »

No Dark Judges please.

I'd argue that, done well, a dark judges storyline could be exceptionally compelling-kind of Hellraiser in Mega-City One.
I would rather they never turned up! They're OK in the comic but there are so many more exciting characters & stories to tell on the telly show. Adding the supernatural? Well, maybe after PSI-Division has been established but even having a large PSI presence throws up its own problems.

dweezil2

• Credit Cards Accepted.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/ashleybeechbum
« Reply #55 on: 14 August, 2017, 02:33:53 pm »

No Dark Judges please.

I would rather they never turned up! They're OK in the comic but there are so many more exciting characters & stories to tell on the telly show. Adding the supernatural? Well, maybe after PSI-Division has been established but even having a large PSI presence throws up its own problems.

Like them or not, they're a major part of the Dredd mythos and one of the most recognisable aspects of it, even to casual fans, so don't be surprised they figure somewhere.
The PSI angle worked well in the 2012 movie so no reason why it couldn't in the series.
The supernatural and more esoteric elements of Judge Dredd are what set it apart from a mere sci-fi cop strip.

Richard

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 14 August, 2017, 08:25:54 pm »
Game of Thrones didn't start with the Dragons and the Night King in episode 1. It built up to them, established believable and interesting human characters, and became a successful show.

sheridan

• View Profile
    • Wilde Wood
« Reply #57 on: 14 August, 2017, 08:53:23 pm »

What problems do they raise?

sheridan

• View Profile
    • Wilde Wood
« Reply #58 on: 14 August, 2017, 08:54:24 pm »
Game of Thrones didn't start with the Dragons and the Night King in episode 1. It built up to them, established believable and interesting human characters, and became a successful show.

Well, apart from the zomWhite Walkers in the very first scene :P