Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombo

Quote from: M.I.K. on 23 September, 2011, 11:40:11 PM
Going back to the Northern Lights for a bit - I've seen it on the horizon a few times as a vague, barely discernible, green glow, but once, about ten years ago, they gave a more impressive showing.

It stretched across the entire sky from north to south in swirly green streaks with patches of red. The largest of these patches was directly overhead and (rather disturbingly), made it look as if the sky had cracked open.

It's very unusual for them to be as impressive as that around here (I'm pretty far down to the South of Scotland in East Lothian), but a facebook friend of mine insists he saw them one night way down in Derbyshire. I asked him when this was, and it was roughly the same time I saw them. Might even have been the same night.

I remember that.  It wasn't the Lights but a similar phenomonomnomnom, whatever, casused by ice particles in the upper atmosphere.  It was clearly visible here on Teesside and looked slightly eerie, after all the skys not supposed to be green.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: M.I.K. on 23 September, 2011, 11:40:11 PMIt stretched across the entire sky from north to south in swirly green streaks with patches of red. The largest of these patches was directly overhead and (rather disturbingly), made it look as if the sky had cracked open.
When I lived in Reykjavík, I used to see green ones quite a lot when we got back from the shops on a winter's evening. The best show we got was one New Year's Eve (or thereabouts—it was the 30th, I think), although my friend's camera unfortunately decided it was too cold to take some snaps.

johnnystress

Is this the clip that prompted the talk of the Northern Lights?

http://youtu.be/ogtKe7N05F0

M.I.K.

Quote from: Tombo on 26 September, 2011, 09:17:30 AM
I remember that.  It wasn't the Lights but a similar phenomonomnomnom, whatever, casused by ice particles in the upper atmosphere.  It was clearly visible here on Teesside and looked slightly eerie, after all the skys not supposed to be green.

Hmmm... Not too sure about that. What I saw looked extremely Northern Lightsish to me, but I know that there were ice particles floating about in the atmosphere on a totally different occasion in 2002, 'cos I spotted another natural phenomenon caused by them and got my mum to film it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH9M2XTcR2o

SpetsnaZ99

Quote from: paddykafka on 23 September, 2011, 02:46:14 PM
Star Trek here we come!

(from Yesterday's Washington Post)

The speed of light is broken! CERN has just measured subatomic particles traveling at faster than the speed of light ! Or, in non-English: CERN (that's the European Organization for Nuclear Research to you, American) has just measured a neutrino (that's a subatomic particle to you, uh, Multicellular Organism) that traveled from Geneva, Switzerland, to a destination in Italy and managed to exceed the speed of light by 60 nanoseconds — with a margin of error of only 10 nanoseconds.

"Something exceeds the speed limit in Italy, and somehow this is news?"

If true, this is huge. The idea that the speed of light is a constant, never to be exceeded, has been fixed since the time of Albert Einstein. It's one of those operating assumptions that underlie our every action, like "single men with cats are bad marriage material" or "if TV critics praise a show for being fresh, funny and insightful, it will fail." If this isn't true, nothing is true. All the rules on which I've based my existence — "Christmas calories don't count," "the Orioles will lose," "if you like a product or service, inevitably they will change it, start charging you more, or George Lucas will add new scenes and special features." Up is up, down is down, right is whatever position Ron Paul currently occupies, and the speed of light cannot be broken.

This is so huge that the Europeans are asking us to check it. They haven't done that since the rise of the Third Reich.

If we can verify it, then it's the only real news today. It will force us to rethink all our scientific assumptions. The speed of light was supposed to be an absolute limit, like the age of consent, not a guideline, like the drinking age.

Rick Perry was right. Science is wrong. "The Big Bang Theory" will have to go off the air in shame.

But on the bright side, now maybe we can visit Tatooine after all! We just discovered it . At the rate we're going this week, "Star Wars" will turn out to be a documentary.

Still, if true, this is huge. It undermines everything we've thought since 1905.

We'll have to rethink all our other assumptions. Maybe we don't need coffee to survive. Maybe shark attacks aren't more relevant to our lives than car crashes. Maybe we should trust Greeks bearing gifts.

I've had so many of my assumptions unsettled that I have this intense urge to become a Scientologist.

It's too much. Next time we see a particle do that, somebody ought to pull it over.

So let me get this straight... something i cant see went faster than something i can see..!!!!
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Moggot Lover

"We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go." --Col. Tigh. BSG.

klute

I saw a lot of casefiles (11 in total) on ebay for £120 unluckily at the time i was strapped for cash so i didn't bid and they didn't sell.

So on advice from the wife and various other people i got in contact with said seller who said they would keep them for me till the end of the month at which point we would give each other the nod to put them up for sale for me.

End of the month came i bought them for the £120 pounds and had then delivered yesterday  not only did i get the lot in perfect condition BUT the seller had also added the D.R and Quinch Titan graphic novel into the lot which made my day just that touch sweeter.
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

klute

loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

COMMANDO FORCES

I can see the future  :o

The son of some friends of ours is a little sod and he tries to drop other kids in the shit all the time. We've caught him out a few times at parties and he's even tried it on with Sam, full well knowing that Sam won't be able to defend himself from any accusation, due to his autism!
When we visit he attacks me and puts everything into it to try and prove how hard he is. I then fight back to show him that there is always someone bigger who will put him in his place, this normally ends up with him crying. I have even told him that this will happen when he goes to senior school, as he hasn't got the body to back his mouth up with!

He's now at senior school and lo and behold we get told that he had his head bashed in this week and had to go to hospital. Obviously this is not good but hopefully he will have now learned a valuable lesson, that I tried to teach him in a friendly environment. Don't mouth off to the bigger kids as they will put you in your place!

I must admit it happened quicker than I thought it would  :lol:

Dandontdare

and how much did you bribe these bigger kids?  :D

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

O Lucky Stevie!

This baby's gone straight to the top of Stevie's Crimbo Wish List:

Bjork's robotic Gravity Harp
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

SpetsnaZ99

You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.