Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Niel deGrasse Tyson does an Ask Me Anything session on Reddit

Some interesting insights.
QuoteSociety needs to see science not as a luxury of funding but as a fundamental activity that drives enlightenment, economics, and security.

The Legendary Shark

You're looking at a brand new view of the lunar farside, as never seen before. The team from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has released the first version of a topographic map of nearly the entire Moon, from data from the Wide Angle Camera (WAC) on the spacecraft...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Mmmm, multicoloured pancake, aaarrrgggllle...

TordelBack

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 17 November, 2011, 07:25:16 PM
Like the Undercity but with mountains and ice. Kind of.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15749757

Anyone who complains about the weaknesses of Lovecraft's writing needs to explain why this (excellent) article gives me the full-blown heeby jeebies, 25 years after I first read 'At The Mountains of Madness'.

Tombo

Mountains of Madness was the first thing that ran through my mind as well when I read that.

Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li! Tekeli-Li!

The Legendary Shark

"Finding an ocean on Pluto would make the case for other Kuiper Belt oceans quite strong, especially on larger objects like Eris. A case for astrobiology in this extreme environment seems remote indeed, but the presence of an ocean here would remind us that the Kuiper Belt, which may contain a thousand dwarf planets or more, is likely to deal us surprises at every turn."

Wow! I love this kind of stuff! If life can survive five miles down in our own oceans, who knows? (Buy stocks in the newly formed SolarShark Interplanetary Fishing Corporation TM now!)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Mikey

Yeah, but who combs their balls anyway? Apart from on xmas eve, like.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.