Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Hawkmumbler

TordelBack

I love this, both for the awesome original graphic and the (potentially NSFW) punchline. 

Mardroid

Anyone see that Horizon programme about Super-massive black holes the other day? Apparently there's a massive dust cloud scheduled to pass close by our resident black hole this year* which should hopefully give up some interesting readings.

I particularly found the facts about quasars very fascinating particularly considering the paradoxical nature concerning what current thinking considers them to be. I'm sure a lot of you know all this already but I learnt new things watching that programme.

*Although technically I guess it must have already happened considering how far away Galactic Centre must be. I know I said it was our first 'resident black hole' but I was speaking relatively of course.

Spikes

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 June, 2013, 10:49:14 PM
I love this, both for the awesome original graphic and the (potentially NSFW) punchline.

Nice isnt it.
And thats an incredibily moving, and ultimately heartwarming clip that Joe posted a link for.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 01 July, 2013, 12:26:55 AM
Cosmic bruises from other universes?

Wow, to think that there may not have been one big bang, but rather several, that are all bouncing off one another!  Crazy talk!!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

von Boom

Zarjazzer

It's blue. Fabulous stuff if only we could go and have a look.To see such a world with my own eyes would be a dream turned real. Until someone invents some space warping thingy- ma -bob I'll have to hope they can fix the kepler planet hunter.Or send a new better telescope into space.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

CrazyFoxMachine

QuoteThe planet's azure blue colour does not come from the reflection of a tropical ocean, but is due to a hazy, turbulent atmosphere thought to be laced with silicate particles, which scatter blue light

This only really came into focus when I heard this story was being reported by the media today. It rains glass there.

IT RAINS GLASS :D

Vestibule

I bet Pat Mills came up with something like that as one of Torquemada's genocidal schemes or something, but left it out thinking "Raining glass, come on now, that's too unbelievable, no one will buy that!"