Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 December, 2015, 01:29:24 PM
Looks the foot print of a Froglet from The Clangers...

So the Clangers are in actual fact cosmic coelacanths, preserved through the ages within a Thrintun stasis box?

Wow.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

The Legendary Shark

Voyager to a Star.

Fascinating article discussing the idea of using the last of Voyager 1 and Voyager 2's propellant to push them towards nearby stars. Is it worth it? It will take both craft ~130,000 years to get close, by which time they'll be a long time dead. I'd say yes, it's absolutely worth it - not in terms of science, both craft will stop sending data in a few short decades from now and fall forever silent - but as a gesture, Hell yes.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

This really is fascinating, isn't it? An article over at Centauri Dreams reports that if the light dips were caused by comets then there'd have to be 648,000 giant comets with diameters of ~200km to be orbiting the star. The largest known comet in our own Solar System (Comet Hale-Bopp), has a diameter of only 60 km. So comets don't seem likely.

I wonder, in my own non-expert way, whether it could be something like the star not being spherical. Maybe the thing was perturbed by a passing black hole or similar some time ago, leaving it the shape of a blob of hot wax in a lava lamp which is slowly returning to a spherical shape. Or maybe it's being orbited by a few smaller black holes which are periodically swallowing some of the star's light or even perturbing its shape to a lesser extent than the above. But I guess both these hypotheses would produce secondary effects, such as x-ray emissions and whatnot, which would have been detected by now. So it's probably not that, either.

I'd like to think it's a Dyson swarm, or something similarly artificial, but my gut tells me it's probably something entirely natural that hasn't been seen before. Shame, really, just once I'd like for the only explanation to be LGM.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Ahhh, but what is 'natural' and what is 'artificial'?  Is a bird's nest artificial? A worm's cast?  A dung beetle's ball? Intelligent lfe ain't the only type - who knows what lurks out there, obscuring or maybe even consuming stars as it goes about its mindless business.

Hawkmumbler

I'm calling it now, it'll all turn out to be Thoths fault. Little shit.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Tordelback on 19 January, 2016, 06:58:54 PM
Ahhh, but what is 'natural' and what is 'artificial'?  Is a bird's nest artificial? A worm's cast?  A dung beetle's ball? Intelligent lfe ain't the only type - who knows what lurks out there, obscuring or maybe even consuming stars as it goes about its mindless business.

Indeed so. Could easily be a colony of budongs!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Ancient Otter

10th planet, mass nine times of planet Earth out there according to maths...reckoned to spotted within the next five years.

Spikes

Your fighting with Pluto block, I can tell...

richerthanyou

I am drunk. For the last time ever. at least in the forseeable future. and now after a mental night out im on my bed watching a scanner darlky. and this movie is making more sense now than it ever has before. my head is spiining like crazy and i cant concentate. My face hurts from smiling too much. I need food. so bad. my brain feels like its behind a barried. disconnected from realisty.

reminder to myself. i dont drink. at all. i feel like ive been drugged. at least im in my own bed and wearing my own clothes. i dont know if this belongs in drokking fantasitc. i guess it kinda does. i mena, wwhat a way to end an era.

everything hurts. i have ot be up in a few hours; no chace.   

ok guys

i feel like im getting drunker by the seasond

this is richer than you

sigigin out

PERACE

(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

JayzusB.Christ

Now there's a post you'll wake up and regret.  (Not that I've never posted here with booze on me.)

PERACE AND LROVE TO YOU TOO  ;)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Maybe it'sh shome kind of exshperiment? Alcoholographic computer interfashe prototype tesht? *hic*
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

richerthanyou

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 January, 2016, 01:39:30 PM
Maybe it'sh shome kind of exshperiment? Alcoholographic computer interfashe prototype tesht? *hic*

Nope, it was supposed to go in the life thread, not science

Although thanks to the wonders of science I know exactly how much alcohol a man will consume before he decides that $64 for 4 mojito cocktails sounds like a good deal. Mint leaves and some rum my arse! Never again.
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)