Main Menu

Dr WTF?! 2012

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 01 July, 2011, 08:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alski

Quote from: Pauul on 09 July, 2011, 12:40:41 PM

So, Alski, what was your initial submission about?

It was a 2 pager, where the Doctor, who is now black, was refused entry to "Genesis" night club by 2 Dalek bouncers because he is wearing trainers. He thinks its cos he is black, as The Master is inside wearing trainers (and looking very smug). He gets lairy and drunk outside the club on a bottle of Sonratan brandy, and the bouncers call the police who lock him up.

It was a VERY Viz-a-like script, played totally for shit and giggles. Owen thought that the Daleks use was out cos you never know with the BBC and ther copyright, plus he didn't like the black Doctor being oversensetive about perceived racism.

I took in on the chin and basjed out a completely different one pager, which, although I like both, would suit the mag better anyway!

If anyone is interested in looking at the original script I will PM it, but won't post it on here.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Pauul

QuoteI was wondering about using a framing device, you could then pull back and reveal it is a Doctor telling the story to... End on a twist.

Kinda what I was thinking too. Maybe if the Doctor does succeed in rescuing Melody Pond in a future episode, I could have him reading her the story. I think it'd be rather sweet.

The idea actually makes me think about 'Kitty's Fairytale' from Uncanny X-Men #153.

QuoteIf anyone is interested in looking at the original script I will PM it, but won't post it on here.

It sounds like an interesting idea. I wrote something similar for a short film script I completed for my masters degree. It was about a guy confronting a group of black youths and you were meant to think he was being racist - but at the end it would reveal that they had attacked and beaten up the guys boyfriend.

I was inspired by an incident at university where a group of black guys threatened to beat me up with baseball bats because they found out I was gay, and when I attempted to verbally defend myself they tried to fall back on accusing me of being racist. Luckily I was able to escape to a friend's room.

Not the most pleasant incident, but every experiance has it's value. I entered the script in the British Short Screenplay competition and got half way through.

But, yeah, bigotry as a subject matter can be somewhat serious and risky. Still, educating people has it's value and it sounds like your story had a more comedic twist.

I'd love to take a read sometime.

Pauul

Oh, I was just looking on the Doctor Who News Page a came across a new Doctor Who fanzine looking for submissions (including comic strips) - 'Fanwnak'.

Website is here - http://fanwnak.blogspot.com/2011/06/fanwnak-issue-1-now-available-to-order.html

Here's the quote from the news page;

QuoteIn order to survive, every printed publication needs high quality contributors. (Hopefully, that's you!) In an age where online publication is the now the norm, it is instantly gratifying to get your work/thoughts out to the world for virtually free and getting a printed fanzine off the ground is hard. FANWNAK Issue 1 eventually launched with much acclaim after months of development. Now it's your chance to contribute to the upcoming Issue 2. Just email me at snhbuk@gmail.com if you'd like to help out. I am accepting comic strips (in full glorious colour) and articles for either the new or classic series of Doctor Who whether they be funny or serious, I'd appreciate your support. Thank you!

From - http://www.doctorwhonews.net/

Maybe Owen could talk to them about doing an article on Doctor WTF?! as well?

CrazyFoxMachine

Thirteen writers signed up, and sixteen artists - !

Any more interested?

Van Dom

Are you including me in that Owen?
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

clavell

Hi.

Can I get somebody Philip Bondish for mine ?

- C
Writing Future Shocks is hard !

CrazyFoxMachine

Anyone Phillip Bondish about?

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'm up for it and will write something. But on balance not what you accepted last time (I think the Evil Artist who Couldn't Meet a Deadline did me a favour).
Lock up your spoons!

GordonR

Quote from: Pauul on 08 July, 2011, 01:12:37 PM
PAGE ONE (5 panels)

Panel 1.   Medium long shot of the OLD SHEPHERD as he wanders through a forest, yellow butterflies fluttering around him.

He rests on a wooden staff.

He has a white bushy beard and wears a red cloak.

CAP:   IN THE OLD FOREST.

CAP:   BEFORE TIME.

CAP:   WALKED THE OLD SHEPHERD.

CAP:   HE TALKED TO THE SPIRITS OF THE FOREST AND GAVE WISE COUNCIL TO THE ANIMALS.

TITLE:   IN THE FOREST.

Having now read this, I think it should be called 'Dr Who & The Attack of the Deadly Caption Boxes'.

Pauul

QuoteHaving now read this, I think it should be called 'Dr Who & The Attack of the Deadly Caption Boxes'.

That actually sounds like a really interesting and surreal story.

Damn, why didn't I think of that?

Ah well, you live, you learn, and occassionally you write rubbish stories.

CrazyFoxMachine

Had some great scripts in the last few days - keep them coming!

CrazyFoxMachine

Writers - ! You have a month left until the deadline  - !

Christov

Urgh, looks like I've got to shift my arse into gear then.

Where am I? Page three?

Fuck a duck, I am so entirely lazy with my writing this year.

House of Usher

Last night I completed the first draft of the 4-page story I'll be handing over to Davey Candlish to draw.

Coming your way tonight or tomorrow, Owen!
STRIKE !!!

Daveycandlish

I best sharpen me crayons then!  :)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!