Main Menu

Prog 1686 - Borough Boys

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 22 May, 2010, 08:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Garp 1969

Al Ewing is officially my favourite comic writer working today. From the Baudelaire quotes to the 'firing pin' reveal, this stuff just works for me. Love it.
Ichabod Azrael is one of the best looking stories I've seen. But I do have to work hard to follow what's going on.

House of Usher

That was a good Prog. I'm kind of sorry to see [spoiler]PJ Maybe caught with no way out[/spoiler] - a bold move there. [spoiler]Mayor Ambrose[/spoiler] was such a good character it's a pity to lose him. Do you suppose [spoiler]they might just mind-wipe him and pop him back in City Hall again to carry on serving as Mayor[/spoiler]?

Patrick Goddard's drawing on Savage is just so utterly perfect and lovely to look at, I don't particularly mind if the story is any good or not. So far the story hasn't put a foot wrong if you take Savage on its own terms. My second favourite strip after Dredd.

I was glad to see the Marilyn Manson alien again in Damnation Station. "I do so enjoy these little chats." He's not the only one.

'Bod of the Wild Frontier had its moments again this week. I find it hard to get to grips with, but the pacing this week was very quickfire: one thing after another and no dawdling.

7/10
STRIKE !!!

strontium71

Maybe a future story line has the minds/personas of the gang implanted into the newly formed ABC Warriors...
...because I hate you.

Colin YNWA

I was wondering if they were more general nobs to the heads to previous Mills creations. The only thing I base this on is there was that M.A.C.H 0 villian called Gorgeous George or some such... its tenuious I know...

House of Usher

'a nob to the head' - sounds like something unfortunate out of Strontium Dog, maybe a relative of Middenface McNulty!
STRIKE !!!

mogzilla

Quote from: Minkyboy on 22 May, 2010, 12:24:45 PM
Every Sat my postie parks outside my house @ 8.30am and starts her round with my next door neighbour's house. Two hours later she pops my prog through the letter box, gets back in her car and drives off for a well deserved cuppa. Longest two hours of the week.

Dredd: Top top stuff. PJ squirms and twists brilliantly and then in comes JD. [spoiler]I love the lack of anger or any emotion from Dredd considering how much egg is on his face. Arsom. I hope someone else's DNA is found on the Hoss/Yess evidence and Joe gets to add another Chief Judge's scalp to his collection.[/spoiler]

Quote from: King Trout on 22 May, 2010, 10:21:43 AM
In Savage, we have a Pat Mills trademark: another dull and flat LIST of improbably gimmicky 2D characters.
Fixed that for you.
At least this time we won't have a goodie team vs baddie team face-off with daft mirroring of looks and abilities a la ABC's ad infinitum.

Damn and Bod: Don't care, but it doesn't matter cos Dredd is so good!

threaten to tell her/his boss/husband/wife that if she doesnt do your delivery first your telling shes shagging on the job!

willthemightyW

could someone please tell me the names of the people who had there letters printed this prog? oh and in the meg as well.
Thanks.
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

WoD

Thought it was a great prog. Initially dissapointed about Dredd due to how quickly it resolved and I wanted bigger things from our m***r...but we will see.

Can I (probably re-ask) something...do we need spoler tags in these threads?  They are retrospective...so...could we do without them?

strontium71

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 23 May, 2010, 10:59:08 AM
I was wondering if they were more general nobs to the heads to previous Mills creations. The only thing I base this on is there was that M.A.C.H 0 villian called Gorgeous George or some such... its tenuious I know...

Wasn't Steelhorn originally a most handsome robot long ago - wouldn't he be Gorgeous George?
And also re. this weeks cover - the guy with the fancy shades = Joe Pineapples surely?
Does this mean Savage is Hammerstein?
...because I hate you.

nev

Quote from: willthemightyW on 23 May, 2010, 07:40:28 PM
could someone please tell me the names of the people who had there letters printed this prog? oh and in the meg as well.
Thanks.
No letters in this weeks prog.
Meg- Ian Brown, Jeremy Beebe, Micheal Crouch, Paul Harris, Stephen Watson.

James Stacey

not much to add that hasn't been said. Didn't Mr Mills write pretty much the same episode for Defoe a few weeks ago? I try to like Savage but can't help getting the feeling comics have moved on and Pat hasn't.

NSFTM

I don't normal post in these but...

Dredd - good at the moment. was never a fan of Maybe when he started out many many years ago, but as the Mayor it is inspired.

Damnation station - haven't looked at it

Ichabod -  Good Stuff, loving the art, and the turn of phrase.

Savage - used to like it, but the crushingly generic approach to character introduction has put me right off it, Mills introduced the Bad guys in ABC warriors, Defoe, slaine and now this in exactly the same way.. very disappointing
It Could Be That The Sole Purpose Of Your Life Is To Serve As A Warning To Others

amberkraken

another great prog.
I really like that cover. Made me think that a savage computer game would be an exciting prospect. Unfortunately Paddy Hanrahan is described as having red hair, and on the cover it's white...(hmmm, maybe I'm being too picky)

Dredd is excellent, though it was a little anti-climatical, please, please don't be the end for PJ!

Savage is a strip I've been looking forward to. Just an introduction to characters, but done well enough that it didn't matter one bit.

Damnation Station went back to it's intreguing and weird way it was at the start. Plus Simon Davis is back on art duties! DM dipped a bit in the middle and I'm not sure if I was influenced by the art (not that there's anything wrong with Boo Cook's art, I just love Simon's work so much anything looks bad in comparison.)

Ichabod, agreed the new cradlegrave! very very good and don't have any idea where it'll go next.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: amberkraken on 24 May, 2010, 07:24:28 PM
I really like that cover. Made me think that a savage computer game would be an exciting prospect. Unfortunately Paddy Hanrahan is described as having red hair, and on the cover it's white...(hmmm, maybe I'm being too picky)

You are. The characters in the background are painted in black and white, so it his hair colour wont show anyway! :D Seriously though, yeh, it really is a good cover, that.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

amberkraken

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 24 May, 2010, 09:42:52 PM
You are. The characters in the background are painted in black and white, so it his hair colour wont show anyway! :D Seriously though, yeh, it really is a good cover, that.

but 'Roller Simpson' has brown hair! though yes it's muted....
(ok, I'll go get a life now.)