Main Menu

Daredevil fans in the house?

Started by chris_askham, 20 September, 2008, 06:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I've only gone and done it... I don't learn me. I've owned Frank Miller DD stuff in maybe 3 formats to date. Original comics (well most of them). Sold.

The old omnibus - Sold.

Now have them digital.

Then I see them available in a lovely trade collection box set. They really looked super. But they were expensive and I do have this weird love hate relationship with the Miller run BUT this really was a complete set of EVERYTHING with a glorious companion book and where as the omnibus was uncomfortable to read this has the neatness of an omnibus but in a nice to read format AND all the Electra stuff  and everything.

Its beautiful.

But I didn't need it so I left it for about a week and half cos there was no way I needed to buy this...

... it smells nice too let me tell you ... and well ya know I got it at a cheaper price... and I can sell my trades of the stuff I have physically still... and it'll become saleable when I decide I don't need this... again...

... oh God I'm sorry... wish this was lovely boxset of the Nocenti run that I could justify...

Link Prime

Got a link for that Miller box set Col?

Colin YNWA

This is the cheapest I could find it (I have no moral compass when it comes to comics!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Frank-Miller/e/B000AP9LKU?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2&qid=1619125252&sr=8-2

Here's the video I watched - yes I watched all 20 minutes of this WHILE ONH HOLIDAY WITH MY FAMILY which haunted my dreams until it broken me

https://youtu.be/mqVNwT1h61o

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 April, 2021, 10:03:39 PM
(I have no moral compass when it comes to comics!)

Nor should you.

Thanks to your wayfinder I have been considering plugging the Elektra sized gap in my collection instead.
Complete Miller Elektra omnibus collection, for a very decent price;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elektra-Frank-Miller-Omnibus-Printing/dp/0785195564/ref=sr_1_1?crid=20E0RY4A2JZND&dchild=1&keywords=frank+miller+elektra&qid=1619511849&sprefix=frmak+miller+elektra%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-1

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Link Prime on 27 April, 2021, 09:28:21 AM
Complete Miller Elektra omnibus collection, for a very decent price

Elektra Lives Again is peak Miller/Varley. As a story, it's pretty thin but, my God, it's gorgeous and Miller's use of the medium itself for storytelling is breathtaking.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 April, 2021, 09:53:53 AM

Elektra Lives Again is peak Miller/Varley. As a story, it's pretty thin but, my God, it's gorgeous and Miller's use of the medium itself for storytelling is breathtaking.

I'm going to be controversial here and while I accept Miller is a wonderful storyteller, and learnt a lot from Eisner in his 'cinematic' approach to his tales telling I don't like his work inked by himself anywhere near as much as when inked by Klaus Janson. I've said before and I'll say again no doubt Klaus Janson is the very definition of why an inker is so much more than a tracer and elevates the astonishingly good layouts of Miller to something else again.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 April, 2021, 09:53:53 AM
Never actually read this but the first three pages of Elektra: Assassin have more interesting ideas about how to use a comic page to convey information and tell a story than I can count. It's a far better showcase of the possibilities of the medium than, say, Watchmen.
We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: I, Cosh on 27 April, 2021, 12:44:25 PM
Never actually read this but the first three pages of Elektra: Assassin have more interesting ideas about how to use a comic page to convey information and tell a story than I can count. It's a far better showcase of the possibilities of the medium than, say, Watchmen.

That first issue of Elektra: Assassin is just astonishing from start to finish. It's hard to remember just how divisive it was at launch... it felt like it was rebuilding much of the underlying stuff that makes comics work and it turned out that quite a lot of people liked their comics safer and cosier than that...

Colin YNWA

I've not read Elektra Assassin in years. No idea why, it was an absolute fav back in the day and I still have my original copy - of thr trade - never quite being able to let it go. I spent hours wondering whether there was any point even trying to try to replicate the art, but couldn't even begin to know how to start. I seem to remember having a go in pencil crayon... it didn't go well.

I always wondered why this wasn't hailed as much as Dark Knight and others of that era and it really felt innovative to me back then and melted my teenage mind.

Mind if you like Bill Sienkiewicz stuff in Elektra and you haven't read 'Daredevil - Love and War' you should its (almost) as good.

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 April, 2021, 12:47:50 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 27 April, 2021, 12:44:25 PM

That first issue of Elektra: Assassin is just astonishing from start to finish. It's hard to remember just how divisive it was at launch... it felt like it was rebuilding much of the underlying stuff that makes comics work and it turned out that quite a lot of people liked their comics safer and cosier than that...

I never read all of it, and found it has always been difficult to get in print, so the new edition hardback purchase was a no-brainer. Arriving in time for the weekend.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 April, 2021, 05:44:23 PM
Mind if you like Bill Sienkiewicz stuff in Elektra and you haven't read 'Daredevil - Love and War' you should its (almost) as good.

An overlooked classic.

milstar

I quit bothering with Elektra Assassin after the first issue. I hated disjointed storytelling Miller employed and Sienkewicz (inconsistent) art doesn't work for me. But I may try it one day. I love Miller DD, btw.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: milstar on 28 April, 2021, 10:52:57 AM
I hated disjointed storytelling Miller employed and Sienkewicz (inconsistent) art doesn't work for me.

It's not inconsistent, though — it switches styles very deliberately to match the story. If you don't like the non-linear narrative, I can absolutely see how it wouldn't work for you, but I don't think 'inconsistent' is fair.

FWIW, later episodes deploy a much more straightforward storytelling style and Sienkiewicz' art reflects that. And a lot of it is lovely.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

i loved it so much. but i find miller impossible to stomach these days, given, y'know, certain pronouncements. it's just too difficult to go back and read his work - all of which, on some level, was always politically charged - without wondering whether i got it all wrong as a young man, and actually maybe something much more disturbing and insidious might have been at work there. might. but very might.

CalHab

Dark Knight Returns is a right-wing power fantasy and stuff like Born Again plays into that to an extent.

He's a man who has had a lot of problems, but I understand that now he's sober he has moderated his views.

zombemybabynow

current Daredevil is fantastic

Marco Checchetto's art is amazing
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere