Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

staticgirl

Quote from: House of Usher on 05 September, 2010, 05:29:31 PM
Quote from: staticgirl on 05 September, 2010, 04:46:08 PM
I won £86 on the lottery.

That means my chances of being a zillionaire are completely blown now doesn't it....

No, your chances are exactly the same as they were yesterday. That's why you have exactly the same chance of winning if you have a random selection of numbers ('lucky dip,' I believe they call it) or the same numbers every draw. The outcome of one draw doesn't affect the probability of the next.

Yeah but that's mathematic laws when I was thinking about the laws of Sod.

:) Still! Thanks for the reassurance!

SmallBlueThing

Today is mine and my wife's tenth anniversary. Not wedding, first date. That's good. However, she's in Bournemouth, performing, so that's not good.
But tonight, the boys and i are going to watch Deep Blue Sea, so we're creeping back up the good scale. And we have popcorn!
So that's sort of okay.
SBT

SuperSurfer

It's Monday. But new series of The Inbetweeners starts!

Hoagy

Quote from: Rog69 on 04 September, 2010, 05:10:20 PM
Quote from: Krombasher on 31 August, 2010, 07:43:35 PM
The Island Of Gwangi is on tomorrow.

I excitedly googled that thinking for a moment that someone had made a sequel to Valley of the Gwangi, but I guess you meant Valley all along  :)

Cool movie though, I once got to watch it in the presence of Ray Harryhausen himself, I'm a huge fan of his movies.

Yes, sorry, I got that title wrong a few times. Its the first time in living memory I have been able to watch it.

This is what the internet is for too, Rog. I've met a man upon a stair, who has watched a Ray Harryhausen film in the very man's presence.

I got Clash a'la Laurie Olly on Zeus, and there is an extra; interview with Ray, on there. He comes across a very down to earth and more engineer than artiste. I wish I'd've met him. He says his favourite jobs were the Sinbad tales.

Back to Valley of Gwangi and I particularly liked the simplicity of taking something most probably thought up on the kitchen floor of many a household, with rubber-cast dinosaurs on a regular basis and developed by grown ups. It never grows beyond the that simplicity from which all the magic emanates. There is this obligatory good/evil imagery at the end there. I've read this was protocol in a lot of films that lacked in strong moral metaphor in the old America.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

SmallBlueThing

I found twenty quid on the ground this morning, and then spent a tenner of it on The Horde (french zombie flick, released today). I wouldnt normally break my 'no dvds over a fiver' rule, but i didnt have the cash ten minutes earlier, and there's an english dubbed version on the disc as well (cant stand subtitles!). So that's sort of okay. Unless the film turns out to be crap, in which case that's a whole new spugs thread right there, as ive been waiting ages for it.
SBT

Dandontdare

After more than a month without hot water, the housing association has finally found someone with the knowledge and the parts to fix the boiler. Hot baths all round!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 September, 2010, 02:10:06 PM
After more than a month without hot water, the housing association has finally found someone with the knowledge and the parts to fix the boiler. Hot baths all round!

****SIGH*****

::) ::)

A month to find a boiler engineer.You have far more patience than i have.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

vzzbux

I hope you got a reduction of your council tax DDD. If not then you should enquire.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Dandontdare

The reason for the long delay was because having no hot water is not deemed an emergency, so they'll only come out in working hours. I'm buggered if I'm taking a day's holiday for that, and my workshy flatmate has been away supergluing himself to bankers in Edinburgh, so it's only last week that we've been able to schedule a visit.

As for the new power shower that hasn't worked since they installed it about 6 months ago, apparently we're "on the list". These have been failing to work all over the estate, so I think it's a pretty long list!

House of Usher

Quote from: vzzbux on 22 September, 2010, 09:01:55 PM
I hope you got a reduction of your council tax DDD. If not then you should enquire.

That should be a rent rebate.
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

Of the three students I had in my English Literature GCSE class last year whom I felt 100% certain would pass, all three did, two of them with A grades, of whom one far exceeded my expectations of him.

I feel less bad now about resigning from the post after covering 60% of the material than I did at the time I quit. They need to believe in themselves more and worry less about who their tutor is.
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

I got paid the £140 I was owed from the payslip before, and I had a day's work today shoving stuff in a mixer, which wasn't too onerous.
STRIKE !!!

Dandontdare

My niece is off the ventilator. She's still on oxygen in intensive care, but they've reduced the sedation so she's awake a lot more and no longer needs to go to theatre every other day to have her shoulder drained.

She's still very poorly and has not shaken off the infection totally, but looks like things are going in the right direction.  My brother says she's been communicating by a combination of hand signals and a frustrated glare that says "you're not getting it daddy", but she's been ordering cosmetics from the Avon catalogue, so she must be improving!

TordelBack

Good news Dan, but blimey that's been a long haul.  The poor thing, not to mention your poor family.