Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

We couldn't resist Polar on Netflix over the weekend. I had inadvertantly read some scathing reviews, but despite the extreme violence, dodgy moralistic premise and absurdist characters...we quite liked it. I have little patience for on-screen torture these days and one sequence had me gritting my teeth, but Mads Mikkelsen holds it all together very well. A surprise hit in the Wedgeski household.

Keef Monkey

The Hobbs & Shaw trailer had us itching to rewatch Fast & Furious 8, still great fun and those two characters really steal the show so very excited to see the new movie.

Also rewatched Resident Evil: Apocalypse (the second one). I sort of wish they'd numbered these films because I have a hell of a time remembering which is which just from the title. Has always been my least favourite of the series, while the rest are all enjoyable over the top trashy fun (in my opinion) this one goes over the edge into hot garbage territory. Even at the time I was a bit gutted with it (although the soundtrack album had a remix of 'The Outsider' by A Perfect Circle which I loved so damn much that I listened to that album a ton).

The videogame cosplay approach to the characters and creatures is both one of the worst and best things about it, because on the one hand seeing the Nemesis recreated as he looks in the game is laughable rubbery awfulness, but on the other hand Jill Valentine also looks like the walking embodiment of the game character, and I was at the right age playing it to have had a bit of a crush on her even when she was just a load of pointy polygons so it's got that going for it.

It definitely feels noticeably ropier than the other RE films (which I know don't set the highest benchmark imaginable) and it was only on this watch that I noticed from the credits that it's the only film with a different director, who doesn't appear to have helmed another film before or since. Yikes.

Still enjoyed it in a popcorn trashy B-movie way, but then I have a high tolerance for that specific kind of rubbish.

Mardroid

Ghost Story

A kind of anthology. Quite good, if a bit silly in places. Genuinely spooked me a bit and made me jump in places. Particularly the first 'case' with Paul Whitehouse.(I'm a big girl's blouse where ghost stories are concerned. I think a lot of what me makes me jump isn't so much the ghoulish appearance as the loud sound affects, though.)

It ended in a rather odd way... but its worth a watch if you like this kind of thing.

Oh, nice little homage to The Evil Dead films in 'Case 2'.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Mardroid on 04 February, 2019, 01:31:05 PM
Ghost Story

A kind of anthology. Quite good, if a bit silly in places. Genuinely spooked me a bit and made me jump in places. Particularly the first 'case' with Paul Whitehouse.(I'm a big girl's blouse where ghost stories are concerned. I think a lot of what me makes me jump isn't so much the ghoulish appearance as the loud sound affects, though.)

It ended in a rather odd way... but its worth a watch if you like this kind of thing.

Saw this in the cinema last year and it creeped me out. Particularly because there was a woman sitting in the front corner of the cinema who was fiddling with her bag all the time and I managed to convince myself that she was getting ready for some sort of audience jump scare like they did at the stage show, or in the Woman in Black. She wasn't btw, she was just searching her bag for something.

Free Solo. Possibly the most scared I have been in a cinema for years.  :o Really sweaty palms, and to think that I used to do a bit of climbing for a while. Urggh.

CalHab

Miami Vice (2006) Some enjoyable and well made action sequences fail to rescue ridiculous, leaden and po-faced dialogue and characters, i.e. it's a Michael Mann film. Colin Farrell's hair and 'tache are magnificently daft.

von Boom

Ant-Man and the Wasp. A fun film that I think will stand up to many viewings. A worthy successor to the first.

The Lego Batman Movie. Good but with some genuine laugh out loud moments. I've found a piece of rope to leave at my desk at work.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Mardroid on 04 February, 2019, 01:31:05 PM
Ghost Story

So desperately wanted to like this. Had tickets to the stage play which I couldn't make in the end.
Love ghost stories and have over 300 books on the subject (fiction and 'non fiction) but when I saw this at the cinema is just bored me.
Thinking I must have missed something I bought the blu ray and watched it again.
Whilst clever in sections it still bored me. Certainly did not scare me, not even a jot.
Maybe I'm just too much of an old hand at this kind of thing.
Was well made though.

Theblazeuk

The play was better than the movie, but it was still good in my book. Just the whole twist thing doesn't come off as well.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 04 February, 2019, 04:48:04 PM
The play was better than the movie, but it was still good in my book. Just the whole twist thing doesn't come off as well.

It didn't come off at all. It may as well have been Bobby stepping out of the shower.

Tiplodocus

"Also rewatchedResident Evil: Apocalypse (the second one). I sort of wish they'd numbered these films because I have a hell of a time remembering which is which just from the title"

As one wag pointed out, you could probably edit together random scenes from all of the movies and generate a new one; and people might not notice.

But oddly, I like them too. Every critical cell in my body screams "Nooooo!". But I can't help it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 04 February, 2019, 12:17:29 PM
Also rewatched Resident Evil: Apocalypse (the second one)... it's the only film with a different director, who doesn't appear to have helmed another film before or since. Yikes.
Not so! Extinction (or, the one which is closest to being a halfway decent film in its own right) was directed by Russel Mulcahy of Highlander fame. I too have a huge, uncritical softspot for the RE films but I realise now that I've still never seen the last one.
We never really die.

Keef Monkey

You're right, I hadn't spotted that! I do remember it being one of the more memorable films, maybe because the desert setting made it stand out a bit. Pretty sure the last one has popped up on Netflix now, I think it's probably one of my favourites. It's as bonkers as ever, and they'd obviously seen Fury Road by this point and decided to throw some dollops of that into the mix, which I was right up for.

Link Prime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 05 February, 2019, 12:31:33 AM

It didn't come off at all. It may as well have been Bobby stepping out of the shower.

I wouldn't go as far as a B. Ewing comparison, but it did achieve the strongest face-palm ending since Switchblade Romance for this jaded horror aficionado.

Apestrife

Evil Dead Saw the one from 2013. Not seen it in years. Really like it. Not as humerous as the rest of the series, but I still got a couple of laughs out of it. Especially in some of it's more brutal moments. It does those well. I also quite like the idea it takes place during someones cold turkey. Doesn't do much with it besides a scene of greenery and sunlights towards the ending, but I still liked it. Probably has my fav post credit scene ever with Ash saying groovy in a way which makes Duke Nukem sound light. A warning. Perhaps not a film some of you should watch too late during the evening and alone. Which I did. Almost felt lucky I managed to sleep without any "interesting" dreams :)

The Enigmatic Dr X

Did I read too much into the twist, beyond "[spoiler]It was all a dream[/spoiler]"? Which would have multiple English teachers turning in their grave, frankly.
Lock up your spoons!