Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

TordelBack

Welp, at least I know what I'll be seeing on my YouTube recommendations for the next 4 months.

Tiplodocus

How long before the first petition and kickstarter to "realise George Lucas' original idea for the sequels"?.
Stretch Target: $450,000,000.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

And upon realisation, quite briskly followed by "How George Lucas ruined Star Wars".  Also present some years earlier in those timelines where George didn't surrender to the Mouse and made his own sequels.

I love George, but I'm still of the opinion that it was relentless negativity about his later work that led him to swap the whole mess for heaps of billions that he could spend on his own interests and his charities instead: easier than having to work for it.  He was dead right to do it, he didn't need the internet telling him he's an out of touch hasbeen and he's ruined everything 1000 times a day - he already had kids.  If he wants to moan about how Disney went with his creations, let him, he still has the cash and they still have the rights; it's all good.

Anyway, maybe they'll use his ideas for Episodes X-XII.

broodblik

If you sell the rights of a franchise unfortunately you sell you right to be listened to as well. 
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Quote from: broodblik on 24 September, 2019, 10:58:55 AM
If you sell the rights of a franchise unfortunately you sell you right to be listened to as well. 

Depends what the exact terms of the deal were - though for that much money you'd expect Disney would have all rights.

Tiplodocus

Ricky Gervais is often a dick but had the right attitude about The Office (America).

Along the lines of: "I can't complain about changes they've made. That would be like selling my house and complaining about the way the new owners have decorated it.".

TordelBack

Does this principle apply to 2000AD creators too?  ;)

broodblik

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 September, 2019, 11:51:02 AM

Does this principle apply to 2000AD creators too?  ;)

I am not saying it is right but that is the way the world works. But I always find a strange when a franchise or character rights are sold that the new owner feels that they know what the "best" is. In most cases they stuff up the franchise.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sheridan on 24 September, 2019, 11:19:14 AM

Depends what the exact terms of the deal were - though for that much money you'd expect Disney would have all rights.

Bob Iger's public statements I believe make the nature of those terms explicit: George Lucas signed everything away in terms of the creative future of Star Wars. Expecting more adherence to his outlines after Disney spent 4 billion for the right to do as they please seems to me a bit naive, although going by the available concept work they didn't ditch it all. Lucas had planned to make the Sequels himself but a series of set-backs with Lucasfilm's expansion plans and fan backlash to the Prequels seem to have helped fast-track his philanthropical retirement, and he can't really be too vocal about his displeasure because he still owns 37.1 million Disney shares making him the second largest non-institutional shareholder.

I believe most of the dissatisfactions with the Sequels stem from Iger and Abrams going against Kathleen Kennedy and writer Michael Arndt's requests to delay Episode VII for another year and a half while they work out the storyline. The pressure of the deadline resulted in Abrams exercising greater control of the production from the offices of Bad Robot.

With the Oct. 24 exit of Star Wars: Episode VII writer Michael Arndt, the studio is under the gun to keep the film on course for a 2015 release despite a script that several insiders say isn't close to ready.

According to those close to the project, producer Kathleen Kennedy and most of the film's creative team have asked Disney to push the release to 2016, but studio CEO Robert Iger is adamant that Episode VII -- perhaps the franchise's most anticipated installment since 1999's The Phantom Menace -- not budge. That has created enormous pressure on all involved, with director J.J. Abrams stepping in to take over scripting duties with Lawrence Kasdan, who co-wrote 1980's Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, considered the best film in the series.

For his part, Arndt worked exclusively on Episode VII for most of the past year and already had penned a 40- to 50-page treatment before Lucasfilm was sold to Disney in October 2012. But as one of Hollywood's highest-paid screenwriters, who can command more than $300,000 a week doing rewrites, the Oscar-winning scribe (Little Miss Sunshine) was ready to move on to other projects.

Some sources say Abrams has become autocratic in recent months, wresting some casting control from Kennedy. But others disputed that notion, saying Abrams and Kennedy both have been involved in casting sessions. Unlike Kennedy, Abrams is said to be more in sync with Iger's desire to meet the 2015 release target -- which allows zero margin for error -- at all costs.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-episode-vii-disney-651482

broodblik

This explains to me why the latest Star Wars movies felt like it was created by people whom never really cared for the franchise. They saw $ signs and that is it. The Disney Star Wars films I even rate less than the prequels (the exception is Rogue One my send favorite SW movie)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: broodblik on 24 September, 2019, 01:23:51 PM
This explains to me why the latest Star Wars movies felt like it was created by people whom never really cared for the franchise. They saw $ signs and that is it.

I don't believe that to be wholly the case either. The Disney board/shareholders may have had other priorities but I think those making the films cared about making their Star Wars - even if it didn't fit with the multitude of fan expectations.

broodblik

I should have said that it felt to me like people who never ever watched Star Wars made the movies.

Tiplodocus

It felt to me that they had watched TOO MANY.

Tiplodocus

Still liked 'em though, despite faults.