The 13th Doctor

Started by Link Prime, 02 March, 2017, 01:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Angelino

Quote from: JLC on 11 March, 2017, 02:40:20 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 March, 2017, 02:18:24 PM
Quote from: JLC on 11 March, 2017, 02:13:19 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 11 March, 2017, 01:25:51 PM
Dr Tumble? No thanks. That would be moving the show back to Slyvester McCoy territory.
Urgh, the worst Doctor ever!
'Le Gasp' How wrong you are sir!
Even audio hasn't saved him, like it did for 6th Doctor. Awful actor, awful Doctor.

Have to agree that Sylvester McCoy was not good as the Doctor. Cant watch his stuff. I can remember watching his first episode on the show (one of the Rani ones) and just sitting there unbelieving that the whole thing was actually happening.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 11 March, 2017, 06:22:39 PM
Quote from: JLC on 11 March, 2017, 02:40:20 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 March, 2017, 02:18:24 PM
Quote from: JLC on 11 March, 2017, 02:13:19 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 11 March, 2017, 01:25:51 PM
Dr Tumble? No thanks. That would be moving the show back to Slyvester McCoy territory.
Urgh, the worst Doctor ever!
'Le Gasp' How wrong you are sir!
Even audio hasn't saved him, like it did for 6th Doctor. Awful actor, awful Doctor.

Have to agree that Sylvester McCoy was not good as the Doctor. Cant watch his stuff. I can remember watching his first episode on the show (one of the Rani ones) and just sitting there unbelieving that the whole thing was actually happening.
I see one Rani and raise you four serials.

Battlefield
Ghostlight
Curse of Fenric
Survival

Greg M.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 March, 2017, 07:22:53 PM
Battlefield
Ghostlight
Curse of Fenric
Survival

I'd be swapping Battlefield and Survival out for Greatest Show in the Galaxy and Remembrance of the Daleks if I was compiling a list of highlights from the McCoy era. (Ghostlight, however, stands proud amongst the very finest Who stories, in my book.) Much like David Tennant, McCoy was not a good Doctor - in fact, he may well have been the worst - but he did have some good stories.

Tjm86

For me Chris Ecclestone will always be the worst Doctor.  That overly cheeky happy chappy that completely misunderstood the character.  Sort of Tom Baker at his worst, just having a laugh.  On the other side, it was enough to get the series through the next ten odd years ...

Greg M.

Whereas I'd put Eccleston in my top 3 best Doctors!

Magnetica

I'd put both Ecceleston and Tennant in my top 3.

Probably.

Eric Plumrose

Appealing as I found Ecclestone, he wasn't owt much like any of the previous Doctors, a'right? For me, he didn't feel like a genuine continuation; that, despite RTD's tenure being everything '80s WHO is accused of, just with a decent budget.

As Leigh S. (I think) commented at the time, Tennant was Timmy Mallett. Brilliannnnnnnnt!

Or not.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Leigh S

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 11 March, 2017, 11:01:17 PM
Appealing as I found Ecclestone, he wasn't owt much like any of the previous Doctors, a'right? For me, he didn't feel like a genuine continuation; that, despite RTD's tenure being everything '80s WHO is accused of, just with a decent budget.

As Leigh S. (I think) commented at the time, Tennant was Timmy Mallett. Brilliannnnnnnnt!

Or not.

Yeah - Mallett and Tennant was me.  He isnt a bad actor, but he is certainly my least favourite Doctor at his Timmyesque worst

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Leigh S on 11 March, 2017, 11:09:06 PM
He isnt a bad actor, but he is certainly my least favourite Doctor at his Timmyesque worst

Tennant's engagingly personable out of character (so too Clive Owen) and I do genuinely like his voice-over work (hmm, so too Clive Owen) but the only time I actually enjoyed his performance as the Doctor was 'Tooth and Claw' when he wasn't chewing his way through being David Mockney.

Worse though were the One Chance Only threats his Doctor issued, something I would've found more convincing had Tennant acted against the naff dourness of the lines.

sheridan

Quote from: Greg M. on 11 March, 2017, 07:36:32 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 March, 2017, 07:22:53 PM
Battlefield
Ghostlight
Curse of Fenric
Survival

I'd be swapping Battlefield and Survival out for Greatest Show in the Galaxy and Remembrance of the Daleks if I was compiling a list of highlights from the McCoy era. (Ghostlight, however, stands proud amongst the very finest Who stories, in my book.) Much like David Tennant, McCoy was not a good Doctor - in fact, he may well have been the worst - but he did have some good stories.

I'm partial to Paradise Towers myself, perhaps because it's the closest TV Who got to Mega-City One gang wars ;)

Tiplodocus

For some reason as I was watching KONG I wondered if they had ever considered a handsome, square-jawed hunk like Toby Kebbel as the Doc?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 March, 2017, 12:16:45 AM
For some reason as I was watching KONG I wondered if they had ever considered a handsome, square-jawed hunk like Toby Kebbel as the Doc?

Not only considered but cast.

JLC

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 13 March, 2017, 07:11:49 AM

That's from Fantastic 4 not Doctor Who, & I wouldn't consider him a handsome square jawed hunk!!!!!!

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: JLC on 13 March, 2017, 07:27:52 AM
That's from Fantastic 4 not Doctor Who

You're Jay Leno, right?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 13 March, 2017, 07:11:49 AM

Oh sweet LORD! Is it so difficult for movie studio to do Dr.Doom right when Flash Gordon did it in the 80's?!