Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Film & TV / Elseworlds
« Last post by TordelBack on Today at 09:45:26 am »
If you're not watching the current Arrow/Flash/Supergirl Elseworlds DC TV crossover,  you're missing a trick. Last week Superman and Amazo,  tonight Batwoman and Dr Destiny. Thank grud I have kids to put me on to this stuff, it's proper superheroing. No prior knowledge required,  just enjoy.
Film & TV / Re: Last movie watched...
« Last post by wedgeski on Today at 09:22:27 am »
(Nu)Ghostbusters what was on the telly last night and I recorded... and was okay I guess.
We found this 'okay' as well...which I categorise as a big disappointment. I wish they'd let these scripts cook for a bit longer. Everything was in place for a great film.
Creative Common / Re: DREDDCEMBER!
« Last post by Trooper McFad on Today at 08:35:44 am »
Could see an animated Dredd working (if mega city fails) but loving the “bonus”  - that’s ma favourite so far as he pips Dredd as my favourite character. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Incredible work Eamonn, I had fully intended to throw some dosh at the raffle (for not-100%-altruistic purposes) and somehow forgot the auction date. I will make recompense before the day is out. You're one of the good'uns, sir.

As for Colin, you've had me chuckling at your modded Calvin & Hobbes strips for years now, but this latest one is on a whole new level!  Quite the talent with the pencil there, young man.
General / Re: The 2000 AD Messageboard Advent Calendar 2018!
« Last post by Colin YNWA on Today at 06:30:52 am »
As ever this is an almost direct swipe from the mighty Bill Watterson.

General / Re: Space Spinner 2000AD
« Last post by SpaceSpinner2000 on Today at 06:24:47 am »

In our thrilling hundred and thirty-ninth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy’s Greatest Comic with Progs 443-446 of 2000AD, covering November of 1985. This week Nemesis travels to the time wastes, the Strontium Dogs are in a tight spot, it’s a hard time for mayors in Mega-City One, and Rogue Trooper once again returns to Mili-Com!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Help! / What was this scary comic strip in?
« Last post by M.I.K. on Today at 02:44:17 am »
Got a vivid memory of a story, not sure where it appeared, so just on the off-chance somebody knows...

It was the early-mid eighties. I think it may have been in a magazine which sometimes had comic strips in, rather than something that was fully strip-based. Some kind of teen/kids pop-culturey lifestyle magazine or something. I keep thinking of TV Tops, (perhaps when it was just Tops), but don't think it's that, because I remember that being quite comicy.

Story goes like this...

Car breaks down in the middle of nowhere. People in the car are a married couple and their horrible brat of a son, (possibly has curly blonde hair but don't quote me on that). They go to a nearby scary old house, owned by a scary elderly couple. Car couple ask scary couple if they can use their phone. While they are waiting on tow/repair truck / AA van, bored bratty son wanders up to dusty attic. Inside the dusty attic there is an old doll house. Inside the doll house there are three figurines, one of which is smaller than the other two. Bratty son takes the two larger dolls and breaks them beyond repair (think he snaps at least one of them in half). He then takes the smaller figure and jams it so firmly into the chimney of the doll house that no one will ever be able to get it back out again. Parents find him and tell him that they are now leaving.

Some time afterwards, the little boy is asleep in his own bedroom at night. He is awoken by the screams of his parents. He calls out, asking what's going on. Suddenly an invisible force comes in through the bedroom window, whisks him outside and jams him in the chimney of his house. The story ends with someone, (possibly a fireman), saying that he's stuck so tightly in the chimney that they don't know how they'll ever get him out.

Any ideas?

Creative Common / Re: DREDDCEMBER!
« Last post by TordelBack on Today at 02:17:03 am »
Tharg needs to get you back on Rogue ASAbloodyP.
« Last post by TordelBack on Today at 02:10:21 am »
This is going to be one of those alarmingly common situations where we disagree, Bear! I luuurved it, and didn't find a single minute of it boring (although I do agree that Aldrin was depicted as almost comic relief, rather than just the bluntly ambitious character he is, which was a pity).

I thought the film was very clear about why Armstrong was the man in the chair - he was shown as utterly calm and focused, as well as a proven pilot and fast-thinking engineer, best showcased in the Gemini 8 docking disaster (best scene in the film). 

Given that, in the event, the Eagle overshot its target by 4 miles and Armstrong had to had to manually select an alternative and bring the lander down right at the edge of its fuel range, that decision was shown to be correct. In an all-veteran crew he was the one who had successfully dealt with the first mission to be aborted in space. He was selected for pure technical competence, contrasting with the political weight surrounding the mission. 

The bits with his daughter are holdovers from the Hansen biography that the film is an adaptation of, and I thought they gave some needed speculative insight into the head of a notoriously private man.  The last bit with the bracelet was gratuitous (and not in the book, IIRC), but I suppose it acted as a visual symbol of the conclusion of his journey.
« Last post by Professor Bear on Today at 01:36:09 am »
First Man - the people in this are either boring or mean.  Neil Armstrong is boring and everyone else just makes fun of him for it, with his wife asking people if they got any interesting goss out of him and journalists sniping at him in press conferences with cruel jokes about his acting ability with questions like "how would you describe the feeling compared to buying a car?"  To be fair, Neil is probably bored by the lengthy and weightless SFX sequences and I can't say I blame him for checking out.
Buzz Aldrin is also a bit of a tactless chump in this, which for some reason annoyed me.  The stuff about Neil's dead daughter I found ghoulish.  This charts a course through a moment in history of no small significance and gluing on a dead kid subplot that basically amounts to some Michael Bay visuals seems out of order, though no doubt it will be cited as the emotional backbone of the film rather than just another of the borderline comical string of deaths that follows Armstrong around.  I don't feel I had a handle on Armstrong.  The film follows some threads about how the moon landings were a political stunt because the US kept getting cock-blocked by the commies, yet we don't see the American flag being planted on the moon, the whole point of the mission, or the decision processes by which Armstrong was chosen over the slightly more engaging Aldrin or... uh... the other one - was there a third guy?  Well anyway, we don't see why Armstrong - a block of wood whose value seemed to be entirely in his skillset and experience rather than his charisma - gets to be the first foot on the moon and the first voice to relate the experience back to a waiting Earth, and not Aldrin, who in later life wrote books and punched conspiracy nutters and advocated for Martian colonisation and developed new forms of trajectory to help do so - and he was on the Simpsons when it was still good.
I thought it was boring, so that probably means it's a classic.  The studio seems to be getting a good run out of the Gosling replicant, it's a shame it can't have more than a few months of life left.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10