Main Menu

Prog 2095 In the Eyes of the Law

Started by McNulty, 18 August, 2018, 02:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McNulty

Hello all. Another Saturday and another Prog for me.

Dredd: Plot threads from the past are being used in this return of the Sons of Booth story. In especially the last panel, I took a sharp intake of breath. [spoiler]Just imagine the possibilities of this organisation with the Stupid Gun in their possession.[/spoiler]

The Order get weirder by the episode making it more difficult to follow the overall story. The introduction of good wurms in the last book is being developed more in this book and even Anna Kohl is showing more sympathy for them.

The 3riller builds up to a gruesome end by this episode. It reminds me of Stargate SG-1.

Mechastoheles is starting to grow on me: Demons versus mechademon? What's not to like/

Grey Area: After last week's revelation about Kymn and Bitch, I wonder how long it will be before the ETC team learn of this.

All in all, an enjoyable Prog with Dredd's set up for his new story being my favourite.

Richard

The shit is probably going to hit the fan pretty soon in Grey Area, since the characters' respective paths are converging already.

Geoff

Mostly like the cover but an odd looking Lawmaster...front wheel must be much smaller than the rear one.

Not a fan of those Sons of Booth based stories and whilst Grey Area is going along ok, not much else in the prog grabs me at the moment.

Still, at least the Survival Geeks are back next prog  ::)

Colin YNWA

Love the cover and in particular the colouring using light so well both to frame Dredd and provide tone and atmosphere, while at the same drawing the eye around the page with such craft.

Anyway contents. Dredd.... hmmm so like if you happen to know prog 316-8 (thanks Barney) you are meant to be impressed? If you haven't (or associated reprints) its not much of an exciting reveal... mind I've read 316-8 (thanks Barney) and I was a bit unmoved... I mean The Stupid Gun was hardly a classic was it! Still been really enjoying The Sons of Booth stuff so lets hope it gets past the needless distraction!

The Order is once again, but I hope we get more about why Armoured G is there, currently feeling a little thin... mind its get past the (as yet) needless distraction (see above) and that fine panel of our gang, or Order marching off was just great. We have our team assembled now lets get to it!

3riller - remind me next time I draw someone into my secret world dominating clandestine plan not to reveal my plot next to the precious delicate things in easy to push over glass vessels. That aside prefectly satisfying.

Big robot M chappie still don't know why I'm meant to care about anything that's going on but its big brash and exciting so its getting a pass for now... mind all involved please note Skip Tracer for a need to sort this out - giving me a need to care - sooner rather than later.

Grey Area now this I'm invested in shows even more craft that demonic Metal Micky and is pushing the story in very exciting directions. Just superb stuff. Dabnett is a man right at the top of his game at the moment.

Mixed bag, but then good Progs often are!

Goosegash

The re-introduction of Armoured Gideon reminded how much I liked Simon Jacobs' art on the original series. Wonder where he is now?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Goosegash on 19 August, 2018, 01:03:25 AM
The re-introduction of Armoured Gideon reminded how much I liked Simon Jacobs' art on the original series. Wonder where he is now?

As already mentioned elsewhere, he's still drawing brilliantly and you can see up-to-date stuff on Simon's DeviantArt page.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Also: I enjoyed the hell out of this prog. The current run of stories has been great. The 3riller has probably been the weakest, but even that has had enough about it to keep me reading. Good work by Tharg and the droids.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 August, 2018, 09:22:13 PMAnyway contents. Dredd.... hmmm so like if you happen to know prog 316-8 (thanks Barney) you are meant to be impressed? If you haven't (or associated reprints) its not much of an exciting reveal... mind I've read 316-8 (thanks Barney) and I was a bit unmoved... I mean [spoiler]The Stupid Gun[/spoiler] was hardly a classic was it!

I don't know - I'm biased.  When I was a kid my next door neighbour gave me a bunch of progs, the earliest of which was 308, the latest of which was 324 (with a few gaps). [spoiler]The Stupid Gun[/spoiler] was one of the Dredd multi-part stories I had that were complete - possibly the only one out of my initial starter pack - I remember I only had episodes of The Graveyard Shift and a few early episodes of Cry of the Werewolf, it was a few years before I read the other bits.  So to me Smith's depictions of the zoom speeding through citiblocks high above MC1 are some of the iconic first glimpses I saw of the 22nd century (along with Dillon's undercity).

Richard

For me Ron Smith's interpretation of Mega-City One is still definitive, even now. No-one else draws it like he did.

Proudhuff

Loved the return of the Stupid Gun, even better that they never took any of the other stuff there...stupid indeed.

Rest of the Prog not really pushing my buttons at all.
DDT did a job on me

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 August, 2018, 06:38:15 PM

As already mentioned elsewhere, he's still drawing brilliantly and you can see up-to-date stuff on Simon's DeviantArt page.

Yes, he's been posting some GORGEOUS art of late!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Blue Cactus

I love John Burns but it seems that Gideon is one of those characters that's so defined by a particular artist it's hard to get used to someone else drawing him. Plus in The Order he always seems to be in shadow and entirely beige now, and he only has one eye and doesn't have those pointy antennae things.

Blue Cactus

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 August, 2018, 06:38:15 PM

Blooming heck, I haven't seen anything by him since whatever the last thing he did in the prog was. His current stuff is fantastic!

broodblik

Dredd – The Booth story-line was not my favourite Dredd story but this time around I like the premises and the setup.

The Order – The whole story feels like one big setup for the next series of The Order. It is almost like a recruitment drive for new team members to fight the final big bad wolf.  The reintroduction of Armoured Gideon just made me want to get hold of the original stories (hopefully someday this can be collected in one big collection)

3riller – the whole story feels like a story which I read before although the ending has a little bit of a different twist to it. I would like more 3rillers since this has a little bit more to it than your normal future shock.

Mechastopheles – my keeping gets tired typing this tittle. This is getting more and more interesting as it continues its path. I really do like the artwork of Karl.

Grey Area – This continues to be a solid story. My mine gripe against this is that all the aliens that Harrison is drawing looks like the BLOB.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.