Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 October, 2019, 08:35:42 AM
The single comic generally included were weird US things like Tweetie Pie & Sylvester or Scrooge McDuck, which I never saw anywhere else, and whose sole value were the ads for 1000 Army Men, Sea Monkeys and the ubiquitous X-Ray Specs. Many a rainy day in a 10ft caravan in Carraroe or Kilmuckridge was spent in contemplation of the boundless possibilities implied.

I'm with you there, TordelBack.  How my brother & I imagined getting those Army Men, or the brilliant-looking sea monkeys, or x-ray glasses, or selling "GRIT" for points to redeem for prizes, or even trying a twinkie or a hostess fruit pie!

There's a great book called Mail Order Mysteries that reproduces the ads then shows you what you would've really got.  Imagining the toys was more fun that the world of disappointment that they would have brought with them.  Those 100 army soldiers?  They're as thin as a credit card!  They look okay from the side but not face-on.  The army locker they come in?  Cardboard!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Link Prime on 01 November, 2019, 11:55:33 AM
amirite????

AmaLite!

(Thinks: Better come up with a tenuous connection to the thread topic).  I've only just realised that it's not actually Leonardo DiCaprio posting here under an alias.  (It's actually some red-faced dude.)  I can't be the only one to think that the pilot's uniform was a clue that he was flying under the radar, right?  Right???
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JOE SOAP

TordelBack

Dash's description of the Lucky Dip maps onto the Tenpenny Bag, a simple paper bag closed with a twist that contained a shopkeeper-chosen 'random' assortment of ha'penny sweets, in my experience heavily biased towards the Fruit Salad end of the spectrum. I still.see them around, but I don't know how much they cost in modern money.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 November, 2019, 11:22:08 AM
That's definitely the actual reason. That, and (IIRC) he's Trooper 13
(Slaps forehead)
Staring me in the fecking face.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 November, 2019, 12:45:35 PM
The Mad Genius Behind Sea Monkeys

Hah, never knew that it was Joe Orlando who drew the sea monkeys! That AND Tales of the Black Freighter!

Frank

Quote from: Dash Decent on 01 November, 2019, 12:20:48 PM
it's not actually Leonardo DiCaprio posting here

I've never vaped. Or listened to MGMT on noise-cancelling headphones. Not during sex, anyway.

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 November, 2019, 10:39:31 AM
... the writer who came up with his name had no idea he was going to become a bag in later stories ...

Dave Gibbons has been around a bit. I think he knew exactly what would happen after he left.

He'd got rid of the cheesey names (for a while), which is more significant change than most writers get to achieve with reboots of corporate characters.

TordelBack

Hmmm, I've certainly participated in the devil's mambo while wearing headphones, although usually with a splitter involved so both parties were on the same page; i've also incorporated some non-tobacco based inhalation back before I was a law-abiding citizen. I suppose adding the noise cancellation aspect might help with drowning out the kids banging on the door for food and/or credit for the Playstation store.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Frank on 01 November, 2019, 12:57:30 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 01 November, 2019, 12:20:48 PM
it's not actually Leonardo DiCaprio posting here

I've never vaped. Or listened to MGMT on noise-cancelling headphones. Not during sex, anyway.

Those rumours of peformance issues ...

JayzusB.Christ

I like it.

Serious receding hairline for a young lad of 19, though.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Proudhuff

Quote from: Frank on 30 October, 2019, 11:09:10 PM

Friday, Top, Eightball ... and LUCKY.

LUCKY ... because he's a BAG! Slaps forehead and kicks self for 30 years spent knowing there was something there but never quite making the (obvious) connection

i thought it was because of his number... ( 7 or 13?)
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

I watched Mad Max 2 when I was about 11. To me then, it was the most amazing thing I'd seen in my life and I rebuilt my Walter Mitty-esque fantasy persona to be exactly like Max.  Fortunately I haven't turned out to be a drunken racist nutjob.*

Anyway, up until today, I was under the impression that what we were seeing in MM2 was the aftereffects of a nuclear war.  Now I find out that the nuclear war happened between that and MM3, and the previous devastation came about purely because of oil shortages.  I find it very hard to imagine that civilisation was still capable of hi-tech international warfare by then.  Maybe outside of Australia.

I'm going to have to retcon my childhood imaginary self again.

*Well, not the racist part anyway.