Main Menu

Prog 2081 - Homies under der hammer

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 May, 2018, 01:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 14 May, 2018, 06:32:55 PM
Also the word 'homies' makes me boak, but not to worry.

I googled the word boak to find out it's meaning, and I myself am fond of the word homies. But I am American.  :P I think this goes to show the beauty and majestry of different local dialects.

On partners in crime, that is sometimes used lightheartedly even for people with no connection to crime at all.

Blue Cactus

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 16 May, 2018, 02:44:44 AM
Quote from: Blue Cactus on 14 May, 2018, 06:32:55 PM
Also the word 'homies' makes me boak, but not to worry.

I googled the word boak to find out it's meaning, and I myself am fond of the word homies. But I am American.  :P I think this goes to show the beauty and majestry of different local dialects.

On partners in crime, that is sometimes used lightheartedly even for people with no connection to crime at all.

Yeah, that's true enough. No worries on the 'homie' front, I just can't imagine Alpha or Kenton using the word! It didn't make me fully boak. Just a minor cowk  ;)

Mardroid

I enjoyed that a lot. All the strips were good so far.

Judge Dredd: I confess the gag was lost on me, as I had forgotten the name. One quick check of the post above, okay, that makes sense!

Strontium Dog: As Silverman is a robot, with no DNA, how can they prove the job was done? Would camera footage be enough, in this instance? Actually, since he is a robot, covered in near indestructible armour, I reckon he's still alive out there. He wouldn't be able to do much, unless he's got some rocket boosters or anti-grab tech, and I guess he'll run out of power sooner or later (unless he is self charging* or solar powered) but there's a possible loose end which could be taken up in a future tale...)

Sinister Dexter: Good silly fun.

Skip Tracer: A very nice set up. Nice art.

Deadworld: I really like this strip, so it's nice to see it back. Lovely, horrible, art (I'm sure you understand what I mean by that) and a promising set up for this tale. Is the Boneman Judge Death, I wonder? He looks different, so I wonder if this is another entity, or something existential. Maybe even Death, (a personification of the grim reaper, I mean, not the warped Judge).

I'm very much looking forward to Durham Red next week.

* The technology exists in this universe. Post-resurrection Johnny Alpha's Westinghouse Blaster is self charging.

wedgeski

A great crop of stories this time around. Dredd solid as always, Stront ends in a very satisfactory manner, Deadworld might have got its hooks into me at last (maybe, possibly), and Skip Tracer is a little generic so far, but rendered really well. I ate it up this week.

Frank

Rory McConnville biting the hand that feeds.  Dredd crawling through miles of shit may be a metaphor.

When the history of 2000ad subeditorial is written, it will be recorded that HOMIES UNDER THE HAMMER was bookended by a Megazine ad referencing NEW JACK CITY. Like the rest of a culture where OJ and Roseanne are relevant again, Tharg's going through an early nineties phase.[1]

Talking of strips commenting on themselves, Wulf signalling the creators' recreation of the pre-Final Solution status quo with 'JUST LIKE OLD TIMES' [2] would be a bit on-the-nose, if Kenton had one. Wagner set up the Meester's dilemma as a Brexit analogue, so it's interesting to see his solution to immigration is the same proposed for the NI border - automation. [3]

All the pedantry surrounding SinDex was about seriffed type, but the IRL portions of the story show them surrounded by skyscrapers ... yet the AR filters depict them going up, down & defying the ground without going WTC. Not really the point, though; it was a fun conceit, even if the strip doesn't further Abnett's claim on an Eisner.

[1]  The tagline of the all-female creator Summer Special will be BITCHES AIN'T SHIT BUT HOES & TRICKS.

[2]  'NICE FIRST JOB ... THEY WON'T ALL WORK OUT SO WELL' seems like an accurate bit of prophecy/self-commentary, too

[3]  Robots (GIANT ROBOTS!) are also Abelard Snazz's solution to the problem of a world besieged by criminals but I can't imagine David Davis is in Alan Moore's good books anyway, so he probably felt free to nick it the same Wagner did.

broodblik

Liked this weeks prog.

Dredd nice one-shot.

Deadworld this strip was never high on my list but it started to gel with me and I am now at the point where I really enjoy it

Strontium Dog liked the story and please more of this

Skip Tracer good start for  a new strip. This is one thing that I missed in the last year or so is some new stuff.

Glad to see Kingmaker returning (soon). This and Brink was my highlights from 2017
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Frank

Quote from: broodblik on 16 May, 2018, 03:31:56 PM
Glad to see Kingmaker returning (soon)

The choice of name's odd *

* It's an obscure reference and was first used last August. Maybe it's product placement, like Acclaim & Urban Strike in the 90s.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

A.Cow

Quote from: Frank on 16 May, 2018, 06:17:44 PM
The choice of name's odd

Not odd really; it's a name that is used by writers again and again.

norton canes

I thought this was one of the most satisfying progs for a while - which isn't meant to denegrate recent efforts, as things have generally been excellent since the jumping-on prog. It's just that the stories this week particularly hit the spot.

Some nice humour in Dredd, especially the bits about what really went into Puke, and the cluelessness of the cult members. SinDex was wrapped with aplomb. Looks like we're going to be in for another gripping volume of Deadworld (sorry, Damned). Strontium Dog concluded with the ridiculous humour and lightness of touch that only John Wagner can bring.

Which leaves Skip Tracer, making a snappy five-page debut. Definite shades of Brink in the setting - or even Topsoil from the Dan Dare strips. Not sure how to put this in a way that doesn't sound insulting (which I don't want to do, I loved it!) but it seemed a bit more of an easy read than most other 2000 AD strips right now. Might be barking up the wrong tree but I thought perhaps it was something written for 2000 AD Regened but upgraded to the regular prog instead?

Anyway Kingmaker's on the way back too, it's going to be a great summer.

JamesC

Lovely Cover.

I enjoyed Dredd but it did require a bit of Dreddworld knowledge so maybe not the best for first time readers. I don't approve of the Lawmaster design. It's definitey striking and well drawn and not a bad design for a futuristic bike but I always think the Lawmaster should look as 'Harley Davidson' in its design sensibilities as possible - it should be a big old American hog.

Sin Dex was enjoyable, though this wasn't my favourite of their recent adventures. Steve Yeowell did a much better job on this episode. The aircraft looked good and I didn't notice any dodgy hands or wonky faces.

Deadworld was fantastic. This story is so atmospheric. Definitely the best thing in the prog.

Skip Tracer was a fun introduction and I'm looking forward to seeing more. I'm assuming the title is supposed to be a job decription like Strontium Dog or Blade Runner but it conjures images of some chessy American name like Kip Lennon or Spanky Rogers.

Strontium Dog was good but just ended so abruptly and, I think, unsatisfyingly. Is Silverman really 'dead'? I hope they re-visit this story so we see what happens next.

Really looking forward to the return of Kingmaker - I love Leigh Gallagher's art and while not usually a fan of Edginton, he really pulled it out of the bag last time.

Blue Cactus

Quote from: JamesC on 17 May, 2018, 11:37:50 AM
I enjoyed Dredd but it did require a bit of Dreddworld knowledge so maybe not the best for first time readers.

This seems to happen a little more regularly these days, and it bothers me a bit. In the past I think continuity references like this would usually be explained with a quick caption which would keep newer readers on board. Maybe captions are less in vogue these days, and obviously it wouldn't really work in this story since it's the payoff of the episode and would spoil the joke! But there have been a few references to Cal and suchlike in recent Dredds that seem to just assume reader knowledge rather than explain things. They always leaves me thinking new readers will feel excluded, and make the strip feel uncomfortably 'fan geeky'.

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 14 May, 2018, 05:03:58 PM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 14 May, 2018, 01:19:30 PM
... after talking to Carlos over the weekend (I learned) that he only finished drawing this strip 2 weeks ago ... The maestro delivered in a pinch.

Ah ... So Strontium Dog was moved forward in the schedule to fill the slot originally allocated to Durham Reboot.*

* after Ben Willsher stood on a series of rakes

Is Ben doing Sideshow Bob impressions now?  (Ben - hope your health is improving!)

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 16 May, 2018, 06:17:44 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 16 May, 2018, 03:31:56 PM
Glad to see Kingmaker returning (soon)

The choice of name's odd *

* It's an obscure reference and was first used last August. Maybe it's product placement, like Acclaim & Urban Strike in the 90s.

Not that obscure - there's even an episode of Red Dwarf with that title.