Main Menu

Prog 2036 - Betray the badge and pay the price

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 17 June, 2017, 01:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Great Chris Weston cover of the strong and stable SJS Judge

Dredd wraps up The Fields this prog which feels quick but promises stuff to come.

Brink continues the great chase sequence and sets up a classic cliffhanger.

Defoe looks superb although it reads a bit like a companion piece to Uncle Pat's new book.

Grey Area has a lot of speech bubbles this week as they set stuff up. Looks fab though.

And Hunted does a really nice volte-face

Top stuff IMHO

CalHab

Dredd was excellent, as expected from Williams & Weston. Brink remains a highlight of the rest of the prog. Very enjoyable reading on a sunny afternoon in the garden.

Colin YNWA

Brink kinda sums up the Prog for me at the moment. Its really good, its just not quite as special as its been up to this point. As Brink has got to the action conclusion its lost a little of its magic, its just a great thrill ride, no bad thing, but its lost a little of the compelling magic that made it so special at the start.

Just like the Prog.

Dredd was superb, okay it felt a little cheap to throw us the concept, the idea and then slam the door in our faces, but once you get over that bit of cheek I was left hankering for more but happy with a compelling set up beautifully realised. Can't wait for this is continue. Did anyone else get a brainbloom vide of that last page!

In contrast Defoe is just wallowing in ... something stinky, I'm barely reading it anymore.

Grey Area was just magnificent, doing what Abnett does best and relishing glorious interplay between characters and dragging the plot and story behind almost unnoticed - fantastic.

Hunted started to gell for me this issue... started to, not there yet but its getting there.

So yeah good, not special Tharg, but you've gottun me used to special...

Fungus

Richard

QuoteDid anyone else get a brainbloom vide of that last page!

Yes, and the story title is The Fields so I doubt it's a coincidence.

Dandontdare

Pin is a great character. - maybe she's just pissed off that her badge is silver?

Apart from some turgid exposition in Defoe, this was another fantastic prog

norton canes

Gah! I must remember not to look at the 'News' section on a Monday or Tuesday. I hate having my cover spoilered!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dandontdare on 19 June, 2017, 12:45:25 PM
Pin is a great character. - maybe she's just pissed off that her badge is silver?

Apart from some turgid exposition in Defoe, this was another fantastic prog

Crikey! Didn't realise Pin was female, Great story and planting of ideas  ;)

But those big badges are just plain silly... :-X

Rest of the Prog excellent.
DDT did a job on me

sheridan

Loved the establishing shot of the Mega-City, reminds me of Giger's NY series:

Verence

Has Judge Pin appeared in any other Dredd stories or is she a completely new character??

Richard

She's new, but something tells me we'll see her again.

Taryn Tailz

I hadn't realised Pin was female either. Really liking her character though, and I hope we shall see a lot more of her going forward.

GermanAndy

Cover: Simply marvelous.

Dredd: Seems to be some time that a Dredd story had that kind of bite. After Wagner Williams is currently the Dredd writer I like most  by a large margin. Still, the ending was a bit mystifying. Did Pin - is this really a woman? :P - really killed over 100 Judges? Then he/she beat PJ Maybe's score  :o The Weston art is wonderful. I am always baffled by the difference between Weston in color and in black and white.

Brink: Nicely done. Brink grows on me. At first I thought this a bit too The Expanse to like it, but now I am looking forward to it.

Defoe: Different artists, different visions. Always one of the strength of the Prog. But I just can't get into McNeil's version of Defoe. It has become a very different series.  Mill's is never subtle, but this seems to be a bit broad even for him  ;) Still, I wonder who the editors were in real life.  :D

Grey Area: This on the other hand is an Abnett series I never could get into. Still can't.

Hunted:Furies: I am not convinced that the Rogue Trooper universe can support so many new aditions, especially the Traitor General. As the character is kind of untouchable, these tales about him lack some impact. It took some time to get warm with Jaegir, but its grimness  did work for me at the end. Maybe it is the art, but this seems to be much lighter.

Magnetica

Cover: just great.

Dredd: just great.

Defoe: just great.

Brink: just great.

Grey Area:just great.

Quote from: GermanAndy on 22 June, 2017, 10:30:16 AM
Hunted:Furies: I am not convinced that the Rogue Trooper universe can support so many new aditions

Yes that's a good point. I would rather have more Jaegir than this. But they seem to be aimed at different demographics.

norton canes

Cover: PIN-tastic

Dredd: Fli-PIN' 'eck, that was PIN-credibly good. Seeing as PIN is likely to enter the PIN-theon of classic 2000 AD characters, I might start a dedicated PIN thread over in General. (But don't PIN your hopes on it)

Brink: Yes, I broadly agree with those who've said that a little of the magic has gone out of this as the mysteries have been resolved. But still, it's superior stuff.

Defoe: It's not light satire, is it. Not subtle.

Grey Area: After last week's 'refresher' episode I'm adapting to the knockabout shtick of this instalment. Abnett writes so well, it's impossible not to enjoy it, even if some of the characters types are a bit cliched (which I suppose is kind of the point).

Hunted: Well, it's a great opening double page, that's for sure. The rest is a bit 'meh'.

For the first time I'm going to say that the best thing about the prog isn't one of the strips, or anything from the nerve centre, but... the ad for the latest Megazine. I'm reading the Lawless TPB right now and absolutely loving it, so it's just a pleasure to see Phil Winslade's magnificent cover.