Main Menu

Ramones remembered

Started by ZenArcade, 16 July, 2014, 08:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

I know a few of you guys on the forum hold the Ramones in as high an esteem as I do and with the passing away of Tommy at the weekend I'm putting this thread up to give anyone who feels the same way a chance to share memories of the band; favourite songs and basically anything else from those jewels in the firmament we call the brothers Ramone.
My first memories of the Ramones was my older brother listening to them in our bedroom in 77; the Leave home LP. I remember Babysitter in particular. After that I fell in love with US Punk Rock and spent my teenage years totally immersed in all things Ramones and much more.
My favourite Ramones LP is still Leave Home and my track of choice (of which there are many) is Oh, oh I lover her so.
I'm terribly upset at the final passing of the original lineup, they were such a formative influence on my life. Gabba, Gabba Hey. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

locustsofdeath!

In 8th grade I sang "heyyyyy little girl, I wanna be your boyfriend" to Alicia Williams - who for some reason found this charming and became my first girlfriend. A few weeks later she tried to convince me to listen to Depeche Mode and I broke up with her.

Frank

As a little kid, I thought The Ramones and the Banana Splits were somehow the same thing. Later on, I found the idea that you had to change your surname to Ramone if you wanted to join the band really cool, and the fact that Phil Spector produced both The Ronettes' and The Ramones' versions of Be My Baby and Baby I Love You blew my mind.

8-Ball

I have a theory that the perfect length for any song should be about two minutes and thirty seconds. Anything longer is a waste. I submit this as proof- http://youtu.be/d9EhPunI6xg

Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Albion

I had the pleasure of seeing the Ramones in 1990 at the Bizarre Festival in Lorelei, Germany. The only time I saw them, I wish it had been more.
Obviously not the original four by then but it was a damn fine performance.

R.I.P. Ramones.

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Proudhuff

saw the ramones many times and still have the plectrum that was pressed into my sweaty palm after sneeking into Edin Uni health centre gig!
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

saw them in Glasgow in the late 80s and I was amazed by the sheer relentlessness of it - there was no pause between the songs, no announcements or chat with the audience, but as the last bars of one song faded there was an immediate ONE TWO THREE FOUR and they'd launch into the next. I was knackered just watching 'em.

Proudhuff

I've see this lot a couple of times now and they are excellent: http://www.ramonas.co.uk/BandMembers
DDT did a job on me

Zarjazzer

Fabulous band, sorely missed amongst todays bland dance infected crap. Or is this just old guy-man bitching? Anyway saw them at a U2 all dayer back in the eighties at Milton Keynes bowl, R.E.M had the misfortune to appear after them and were roundly bottled.

Gabba gabba hey.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.