1926 - Old Wounds

Started by Mattofthespurs, 09 April, 2015, 09:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaker

"I've got 'em.....I just ain't scratching!'

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 14 April, 2015, 04:42:35 AM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 11 April, 2015, 12:17:45 PM

Slaine still very talky, but this week it was interesting talky. Fascinating to hear about the Archons after the Cythrons dominating the strip for so many years.

Would like to know more about those guys... the Archon's!

Archon's....

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about them!

It's more Greek and another word for Ruler just in case your not educated., yet then it goes on to say that (After scrolling down further....)   Theyr'e sort of like go-betweens for god. His Angels and Demons from the Old Testament. (Assuming my earlier assumption that the Archons must have been Angels and Cythrons the Demons.  The stuff about Gnostics just reminds me of the spiritualism of the Garou from White-Wolf/Onyx-Path's - Werewolf the Apocalypse and that thing about them being rulers was also borrowed by White-Wolf as well when they made Vampire The Masquerade.

Google's own definition for Archon sounds a lot closer to what I learned from this weeks prog.

I will conclude my review later after I get back from seeing my G.P..

Spaceghost

Rob Williams is an utterly brilliant writer.

I'll admit that I didn't like Titan much at first because it wasn't doing what I thought it was going to do, and I wasn't fully in tune with the overall tone, but when I re-read it (and kept in mind the on-going and excellent dissection, discussion and commentary on the forum which really helped me to appreciate the subtle flavours Williams was adding), it became one of my favourite ever Dredd stories, also thanks in no small part to Henry Flint's flawless artwork.

So far, Enceladus is more than living up to the excellence of Titan and I really hope we'll get a bumper collection of the two when this strip ends.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Adamskilad

QuoteRob Williams is an utterly brilliant writer.

I'll admit that I didn't like Titan much at first because it wasn't doing what I thought it was going to do, and I wasn't fully in tune with the overall tone, but when I re-read it (and kept in mind the on-going and excellent dissection, discussion and commentary on the forum which really helped me to appreciate the subtle flavours Williams was adding), it became one of my favourite ever Dredd stories, also thanks in no small part to Henry Flint's flawless artwork.

So far, Enceladus is more than living up to the excellence of Titan and I really hope we'll get a bumper collection of the two when this strip ends.

^This^

Muon

Great prog. The only thing that didn't really engage me was Orlok, although that's getting better as we go along.

I'm really enjoying this run of Grey Area. Characters' faces can sometimes look a little strange but I like the way the art suggests the alienness of the setting with the sense of suggestion of strange lights playing on everything. Each episode seems quite self-contained and accessible while also successfully moving the story forward, and I guess that's a really hard thing to achieve.

This Dredd story is fantastic. Like Titan, it's tense and gripping, and the alien setting allows for some old-school scifi thrills. Great art, too.

Strontium Dog is turning out to be a fun caper worthy of the strip's first incarnation after the grimness of the revolution story, which I didn't really enjoy. The portrayal of the East Asian characters seems similarly stuck in the early 1980s, though - and not in a good way. "Hiiiyaaa"?!?? Pretty uncomfortable reading.

A.Cow

Quote from: Bogbrush on 17 April, 2015, 12:46:28 AM
The portrayal of the East Asian characters seems similarly stuck in the early 1980s, though - and not in a good way. "Hiiiyaaa"?!?? Pretty uncomfortable reading.

At least it's not "Blakee Pentax!" territory.

Fungus

Caught up with the last 2 progs. Really strong line-up, I'm a confirmed Orlok fan; love the art plus Wyatt's scripts are nice and tricksy rewarding careful reading. Feeds my black & white habit too.

While I'm gushing, Dredd continues to impress and Strontium Dog feels rejuvenated (actually, back from the dead is an extreme form of this...  :) ) and when Wagner cracks the funnies he's a hoot. There's some politically correct hand-wringing in response to his characterisations but I can't be upset at this.

Speaking of broad brush strokes, Slaine is Celtic Talking Heads, marginally quicker than American Reaper. Davis' painting feels less detailed than book 1.

I don't always enjoy Abnett or Harrison but Grey Area is a treat too. A nice premise, with the prospect of escape to move things along. As talky as Slaine but done so much better.

DrRocka

I'm really not understanding the politically correct folk who are upset by Stront's North Korea connotations. It's called humour, kids. Used to be everywhere a few years ago. Think of it as like a tumour, but funny.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Muon

Quote from: DrRocka on 19 April, 2015, 01:05:16 AM
I'm really not understanding the politically correct folk who are upset by Stront's North Korea connotations. It's called humour, kids. Used to be everywhere a few years ago. Think of it as like a tumour, but funny.

To be fair it seems it was only me  :-[ And I was more uncomfortable than upset.

Yeah, on reflection I guess I overreacted a bit. I did actually find the strip pretty funny and I realize it's poking fun more at a regime than a whole region of people. And it is true that a modern dictatorship is pretty ripe for satire.

That said, if a character named Long Duk Dong appears and starts trying to catch flies with chopsticks I'm cancelling my subscription  :)

Dredd Head

First prog I've gotten in a while due to personal problems but WOW what a great prog. Loving the art style in Grey Area. Will be very much looking forward to the next prog now  :D

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 04 May, 2015, 02:15:33 AM
It's all good, but I have just two things to say about Slaine evolving vernacular.

Quote from: SlaineBack off or your HOMICIDE is likely

It could be that Slaine has travelled into France not long after it had left the middle ages behind it.(At a guess!). I guess Slaine did get around in his wandering years and might have picked that word up during the Grail War. (I'm just guessing that one as well!). It is a French word and is taken from the Old-Latin - Homicidium

I doubt very much he would have found time to be watching this.... 

It just seems very out of place otherise.

MY only other irk here is that Saline is also saying things like....

Quote from: SlaineI'm eminently severe in the work of violence![/b]

I just don't think that one has quite the same catch that Kiss My axe ever did.

My advice is that Slaine shouldn't evolve his vernacular (Yeah, just let me know if I have been miss using this word....otherwise it just sounds so cool!) too much.....

That one could get annoying if he keeps on repeating it!

Slaine's beard here two, reminds me of mine.....

When I still had one!

Link Prime

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 09 April, 2015, 02:32:27 PM
Slaine: Yak, yak, yak.......way too wordy to state simple points, and WAAAAAY too much exposition. 

Having a nice lazy Sunday re-reading some recent Progs, taking my time soaking in the stunning artwork on Slaine.
Unlike Ghost, and a lot of you, I'm really enjoying the story too.
As Sinead states in this very Prog; 'The Mills of the Gods grind slowly, but they grind finely'.