Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManParrish

Fungus

robert_ellis

Any bets for what's next? Classic B&W dredd? Cursed Earth?

ManParrish

Looking forward to reading Cursed Earth again...

Jade Falcon

Okay, four books in and so far I'm impressed.  I've only ever read one before (Apocalypse War), though I have a feeling I read a least a small part of the America arc before.

I have a few questions though.  Will we ever get the full Judda story?  All I've ever read is the thin Tale of a Dead Man with Krakens assesment and the Juves letter to Judge Dredd, and Necropolis.  I see there's a hint of Judd in Origins but do we get the full story?

I see the next book is Shamballa, again, all I've had of that was the very thin graphic novel and I've been told that this is going to have Satan and other storylines in the next book.

Really, I'm happy at the books so far, they represent good value.  If you consider it's easily a fiver for a magazine now, or if you buy one of these themed specials from places like Smiths on Aircraft, trains or whatever, they can easily be eight or nine quid for a softcover that might be at best just over a 100 pages.  In contrast, £9.99 for a hardback is damned good value.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

ZenArcade

The Judda story was done in depth in Oz the Dredd story from 1987 prog 545 onwards. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Spikes

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 08 March, 2015, 07:13:15 PM
All I've ever read is the thin Tale of a Dead Man with Krakens assesment and the Juves letter to Judge Dredd, and Necropolis.  I see there's a hint of Judd in Origins but do we get the full story?

I was thinking today what the Necropolis book will contain? (Has this tale been earmarked for inclusion? Though I cant see a reason as to why it shouldn't be).

Be nice to have all the Dead Man tales included. Be a nice book that, if so.

robert_ellis

I really hope the dead man gets in - plus Return of the King - a great finish to Necropolis

Spikes

Oh yes, good call on Return of the King.

But just looking at the page counts over on Barney, it'll realistically have to be 2 books. But a nice complete Dead Man collection, followed by Necropolis - plus those stories that followed in its immediate aftermath, would be very nice indeed.

I always kinda struggled a bit with Necropolis, and have been meaning to give it a re-read/reappraisal for some time, and this will be the perfect opportunity to do so

TordelBack

Aye, not a hope of a single package.  Necropolis on its own is 162 pages, with Countdown to Necropolis 196 in total .  The Dead Man is 81, but makes little sense including that without Tale of the Dead Man at 54 and Letter to Judge Dredd at 6, bringing it to another 140: so over 340 pages with title page and covers gallery.

Return of the King would add another 18 pages.  And that's leaving out the equally relevant immediate follow-up Nightmares at 30 pages. 

I suspect that we're looking at a separate Bloodline/Shooting Match/Dead Man/Tale of the Dead Man book, maybe with a few other great 'doubts' episodes like Question of Judgement/Case for Treatment, John Cassavettes is Dead etc.  I'd like a slice of that action.

robert_ellis

I loved the build up to Necropolis & Aftermath stories as much if not more than the main event. I hope as much of this period of Dredd makes it into the Mega Collection.

Spikes

Quote from: robert_ellis on 08 March, 2015, 09:04:18 PM
I loved the build up to Necropolis & Aftermath stories as much if not more than the main event.

Same here, robert. I think for me it was Wagner and Ridgway's The Dead Man that blew my socks off, and anything after that just seemed pale by comparison.

Quote from: Tordelback on 08 March, 2015, 08:47:07 PM
I suspect that we're looking at a separate Bloodline/Shooting Match/Dead Man/Tale of the Dead Man book, maybe with a few other great 'doubts' episodes like Question of Judgement/Case for Treatment, John Cassavettes is Dead etc.  I'd like a slice of that action.

Yes. Put me down for a slice of that, as well Mr T.

robert_ellis

Hachette have confirmed Inferno as being included. Here's hoping for Purgatory as well. I know there's not always love for these stories but I love the artwork and the change of pace.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: robert_ellis on 09 March, 2015, 04:11:33 PM
Hachette have confirmed Inferno as being included. Here's hoping for Purgatory as well. I know there's not always love for these stories but I love the artwork and the change of pace.
Ugh. That's the first wobble, I think; Inferno is an objectively terrible story. Purgatory is, if anything, even worse, crapping over years of Dredd. For a curated collection, it's a very strange inclusion, unless names (Morrison/Miller) trump quality. It won't stop me subscribing, but I hope whatever else shows up that month isn't similarly awful and that the vast majority of the collection doesn't plumb such depths.

Fungus

Quote from: robert_ellis on 09 March, 2015, 04:11:33 PM

I have no idea what the general opinion on these is, alls I know is that I'm reading them for the first time and they are godawful. Pap, if you will. Written by writers who weren't interested (in UK comics). Like Judgment Day before them. Waste of Carlos, I say.

Hachette could skip the 90's and save the completists out there a few Groats  :)