Main Menu

Bob's Twisted Tale this week...

Started by Oddboy, 10 August, 2008, 12:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrin

Know what you mean Garageman, but I have to read Sin/Dex for the puntastic establishment names. It's the little pleasures in life. Well thats what the most recent Mrs.Kerrin used to tell me. Mind you I just stick bits of wood together for a living and the other day I found an amusingly misshapen screw that had me chuckling for hours. So I'm probably not the best person to give advice on the relative wit of dimensionally confused gobshite hitmen, but as much as the plots for bollocks the banters still some of the funniest I've yet found in this esteemed journal. Except Skizz of course, "flippy neck" genius.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "Kerrin"Know what you mean Garageman, but I have to read Sin/Dex for the puntastic establishment names.

Wagner and Grant have been doin' that trick since the 70's but at least their stories are worth hangin' on for. WIth Sin/Dex, at this stage I'm just asking why and how much longer?

Kerrin

Got to admit it Garageman you have a very good point. It's not like theyr'e Alpha and Sternhammer or anything is it. Mind you the way things have been going in the plot twist department round here I wouldn't be surprised if Ro-Jaws turned up and recruited them as security for the Ace trucking Co.

Kerrin

Sorry, realised I've got off thread there, schoolboy error.

maryanddavid

fraid I have to say I didnt get it either. I have read enough of Bobs stuff both in 2ad and eleswhere to know that his stuff isint easy. Really enjoyed his other outings in 2000ad and would like to see something a bit longer by him in the Meg.

David

Tiplodocus

"It certainly didn't require 'elaborate explanation', just a bit of attention."

May I suggest this isn't the experience of a lot of people who've posted here.  

I for one, read it, re-read it, re-read it and still didn't get all that was going on.  I picked up bits, but not all - had to guess and make my own mind up about a few things*

And It's certainly not clear; for example I found nothing in the opening panels to let me know that the big queen thing was stolen by the lizard creatures.

*Then again I'm a big fan of Lloyd Coe. He doesn't print lyrics in his albums because he thinks you should be able to make your own mind up about what he's saying.  My favourite track of his is "Lost WeakCock"
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

satchmo

I didn't have any problem following this one, but a few sections I did have to read a few times to get. The only one I had real problems with was the prison break episode, I thought that one was pretty weak and hard to decipher. But I've enjoyed all of the others, and I adore Mr Amperduke, probably my favourite of all the comics I bought at Bristol this year.
There's clearly a bit of a problem with them like, if so many people are scratching their heads. I think Bob is a great storyteller but the art style on this week's has maybe made it pretty hard to follow, where Mr Amperduke flows like water.

I, Cosh

I've had to read most of the Byrne stories a second time to get exactly what's happening and I haven't done that with this one yet. I think (generalising from what I do) that you sort of think: "Oh. There's no words. This'll be quite simple then." And it usually isn't.

I'd still love to see a Bob Byrne Dredd story.
We never really die.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"
Quote from: "Oddboy"Anyone care to explain?

Yes, I can explain: it's unutterable bollocks dressed up in a mask of sequential art pretension, the same as all the other stuff 2K/Meg has published by him thus far has been. Don't tell me that I don't appreciate it ... I've been reading comics for over thirty years and I have a fucking degree in English Literature. Sorry, Bob, but if I don't understand it, it's incomprehensible bollocks.

Phew. It feels good to get that off my chest.

Cheers!

Jim

Wow, the wonders of education. I got ungraded at Math's CSE ! Beat that for stupidity forum users !
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "IAMTHESYSTEM"Wow, the wonders of education. I got ungraded at Math's CSE ! Beat that for stupidity forum users !

Mmm. Perhaps I should explain:

I didn't mention the Lit degree to suggest that I was cleverer than anyone else on this board. Far from it.

However, it did teach me two things.

1) How to extract meaning from difficult texts

and

2) To appreciate a piece of work without necessarily enjoying it. As a result, I was able to engage with something like Joyce's Ulysses whilst not really enjoying a single word of it.

Given that, I feel eminently qualified to say that my issue with this Twisted Tale was not that I didn't understand it, but that it just wasn't very good.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "IAMTHESYSTEM"I didn't mention the Lit degree to suggest that I was cleverer than anyone else on this board. Far from it.

However, it did teach me two things.

1) How to extract meaning from difficult texts

Where exactly was the text in Bob's Terror Tale? I thought it was an illustration.

TordelBack

QuoteWhere exactly was the text in Bob's Terror Tale?

Cripes man, don't provoke the Eng Lit crowd!  They'll get all Derrida on your ass.

(Everything is text, donchano)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "TordelBack"
QuoteWhere exactly was the text in Bob's Terror Tale?

Cripes man, don't provoke the Eng Lit crowd!  They'll get all Derrida on your ass.

I can't help it, there just so...ya' know....Literal.

Quote from: "TordelBack"(Everything is text, donchano)

ain't that, everything is texture

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "IAMTHESYSTEM"
Quote from: "Oddboy"Anyone care to explain?

Yes, I can explain: it's unutterable bollocks dressed up in a mask of sequential art pretension, the same as all the other stuff 2K/Meg has published by him thus far has been. Don't tell me that I don't appreciate it ... I've been reading comics for over thirty years and I have a fucking degree in English Literature. Sorry, Bob, but if I don't understand it, it's incomprehensible bollocks.

Phew. It feels good to get that off my chest.

Cheers!

Jim

Wow, the wonders of education. I got ungraded at Math's CSE ! Beat that for stupidity forum users !

I call that a draw !! Thats what i got !

I failed all my CSEs.Beat that.

I wont get to read this until sunday sometime.

Read ??
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Adrian Bamforth

What I want to know is why he gets his name in the title, I mean why not John Wagner's Judge Dredd etc? Though it can't help his cause when he puts out a stinker.