Main Menu

Bob's Twisted Tale this week...

Started by Oddboy, 10 August, 2008, 12:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

Right i have read it and then reread it and then read it again and i just dont get it,

The artwork is beautiful in places but its like a day in the life of a Dung Beetle .

No disrespect to BobByrne who may be reading of course.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "Adrian Bamforth"What I want to know is why he gets his name in the title, I mean why not John Wagner's Judge Dredd etc?

To distinguish it from the stable of Time Twisters, Terror Tales, et al, I would imagine.

And I've enjoyed 'em (mostly) far more than most of the uninspired Future Shocks we used to get saddled with in the end-of-line-up progs. It may not always work but thank god he's trying something different.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

QuoteRight i have read it and then reread it and then read it again and i just dont get it,

See my Public Service Announcement in the 1599 review thread for a page-by-page interpretation, oh belwildered ones!  

Okay, okay,it's obvious that a vocal majority of the board actively dislike this strip - that's different tastes for you.  But I like it a lot, and I just can't agree that it's in any way a "stinker" - it's an accomplished few pages of comic, and just because people don't care for that style of strip doesn't mean it's bad. Foe example, the Preacher reprint was profoundly not my thing in the Meg, an overly violent and distasteful strip IMHO, but I wouldn't call it a "stinker", since obviously it's successful at what it sets out to do.   "Stinker" is a term I'd reserve for Chronos Carnival or (New) Harlem Heroes, or Fleischer-era Rogue, which (unless their mutual aim was to be as pisspoor as humanly possibly and shit all over valued creators and earlier glories) utterly failed.

Fair enough if it's not your cup of tea folks, but "crap" it ain't.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "Adrian Bamforth"What I want to know is why he gets his name in the title, I mean why not John Wagner's Judge Dredd etc? Though it can't help his cause when he puts out a stinker.

cos he writes and draws 'em and they're his.

Roger Godpleton

Quote from: "TordelBack"the Preacher reprint was profoundly not my thing in the Meg, an overly violent and distasteful strip IMHO

Huzzah! I'm not the only one! I used to like it before I realised I only really like Fantagraphics type stuff outside of Tooth but these days it just reads like a procession of cliches.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Large48

Yah bollocks to all of you, I think someone at the printers just forgot to attach the words to the pages.......

PS I think it was shyte, not so much the story as such, but the images made it so difficult to read it in an easy fashion. It was too difficult to be enjoyable and that pissed me off.

Queue abuse........
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Have to say I really enjoyed it not as much as his other work but I found it to be an interesting idea with a simple well told, I didn't find it that confusing.
Maybe Bob's work is something you got to get used to, I know some of his work from the Shiznit and the beautiful Mister Amperduke which even if you didn't like the recent story I think you should give a chance.

This you have to admit was a brave move for 2000ad in the first place to continue publishing stories without the use words. and going by the backlash seen here it may be the last and if so I think it is a shame.