Main Menu

Eagle Comics' Judge Dredd

Started by SmallBlueThing, 01 October, 2012, 09:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

...and as for "digital" editions- i've just come over all queer and may have to lie down. I cannot ever entertain even the thoght of reading on an iChav.

SBT

ming

I love stuff like this.  Great work, folks.  :)

Those non-Bolland add-ons stick out like a sore thumb, don't they? 

My order of reading preference:
Progs: The Source.
Case Files: good for a quick re-read; repro-quality isn't their selling point, convenience and value is!
Titan reprints: Great repro, love these, especially the covers. I will go mad if I have to start looking for tweaks and edits.
Eagle reprints: Don't have full sets of any except Nemesis, don't need most of 'em (expect for the covers) and I generally dislike the colour reprints of B&W strips (even when they're coloured by the original artist).

Spikes

Quote from: ming on 14 October, 2012, 08:36:34 PM
Titan reprints: Great repro, love these, especially the covers. I will go mad if I have to start looking for tweaks and edits.

They are indeed the best. On a purely nostalgic level, its hard to beat these, but like you say, the repro and the covers, are hard to beat. Ive sold on and gotten rid of a few of these over the years, so only have a few left in my collection now.
Cant think offhand of any tweaks/edits, but like i said in my earlier post, the Cursed Earth featured a condensing of two episodes into one - think it was the Vegas segment.

maryanddavid

I know I mentioned it in the previous thread, but the first issue of the Eagle Robo Hunter has a few redrawn Ferrer panels by Gibson.

David

ming

Quote from: maryanddavid on 01 October, 2012, 10:36:50 PM
Any chance for a plug, coming soon is something called 'Comic Archive' in which Kevin talks of the alterations made to the Eagle series, among other things.

How soon is soon?  Not that I'm desperately keen for this or anything, oh no.  Okay, maybe a bit.  Fine, fine - take my money now, please!

Is this where Mek Memoirs is destined for (in part or in its entirety)?

maryanddavid

Mek Is a little part of it and very, very soon, it will be available.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: maryanddavid on 14 October, 2012, 11:34:41 PM
I know I mentioned it in the previous thread, but the first issue of the Eagle Robo Hunter has a few redrawn Ferrer panels by Gibson.
David
As did the first episode of Robo-Hunter in prog 76. He redrew elements of that artwork twice.

Spikes

Just a quick look online, and Robo Hunter is credited as being created by Wagner and Gibson only.
Has this always been the case, and has Jose Ferrer been, almost literally, airbrushed out of history?

Ive often wondered, as he drew the first strip, he should have a co-creators credit. Apologies if this is indeed the case, as ive no other Robo Hunter stuff outside of the Progs to check on.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Judge Jack on 15 October, 2012, 04:21:13 PM
Just a quick look online, and Robo Hunter is credited as being created by Wagner and Gibson only.
Has this always been the case, and has Jose Ferrer been, almost literally, airbrushed out of history?
Not here: http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=profiles&choice=SAMSLADE
We never really die.

Spikes

Ah, nice one Cosh. Only ever seen a credit for Wagner and Gibson before.
Is that the offical line, then?
And, if it is, i suppose my question is now reversed - does Gibson not deserve a co-creator credit?  ;)

SmallBlueThing

Well, this is turning into my favourite thread! Some nice additions this week, as i won the Eagle Robo-Hunter mini series (1-5) for a low price off ebay, as well as the Revolver Xpresso 'manara dancing cover' special that we were all in a tizzy over a while back for 99p! Also #34 of Judge Dredd- the first under the 'Quality' banner, as opposed to 'Eagle'- showing that they didnt immediately become terribly-produced manky reprints overnight, as this is indistinguishable from #1-33. I look forward to one day reading an indepth interview with Dez Skinn about what exactly happened to the line.

Anyway, when the Robo-Hunters arrive, i'll check out the changes and report back.

SBT

SuperSurfer

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 18 October, 2012, 10:45:16 PM
I look forward to one day reading an indepth interview with Dez Skinn about what exactly happened to the line.
If you haven't, check out Dez Skinn's website. A real gold mine of information on all sorts of goings on in the British (and US) comics scenes.

Quality Comics:

Brett Ewins roughs

Gibson cover art

Highly recommended!

http://dezskinn.com/quality-periodicals

SmallBlueThing

Ooh, cheers mr surfer, i'll pop over and take a look. Thanks.

SBT