Main Menu

Vote. Halo Jones 4. Yes or No?

Started by JTurner, 27 March, 2002, 06:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goosegash

I believe Moore's demand was that he would do no more Halo until character rights were returned for everyone who had ever created a property for 2000AD. So basically "When hell freezes over."

I, Cosh

I imagine bobsmith2002 must be Jared's least favourite boarder.
We never really die.

Adrian Bamforth

As far as I'm concerned the story completes itself perfectly well: She began as a girl and became a woman. Then she flies off into the sunset.

JOE SOAP

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Goosegash on 26 February, 2011, 11:21:33 AM
I believe Moore's demand was that he would do no more Halo until character rights were returned for everyone who had ever created a property for 2000AD. So basically "When hell freezes over."
Yup. I never knew what his beef was with 2000 AD anyway: it's not like rights-for-payment is uncommon in publishing. (I'd argue the agreement with DC over works being signed over when a title went out of print, and then keeping said title in print to retain ownership, is substantially different.)

Jared Katooie

Quote from: The Cosh on 26 February, 2011, 11:22:00 AM
I imagine bobsmith2002 must be Jared's least favourite boarder.

And yet paradoxically he's my favourite lampshade.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 February, 2011, 07:49:45 PM
I never knew what his beef was with 2000 AD anyway: it's not like rights-for-payment is uncommon in publishing.

I never got the impression that it was 2000AD in particular that was the issue - it's just part of his advocacy of retrospective creators' rights in general, and the fact that each successive editorial team rang him up and asked him to work for Tharg again when he'd already set out his conditions, and this rubbed him the wrong way.  I agree that he did the work under the terms of the contract of the day, and has nothing to complain about in that regard - it's not comparable to DC's treatment of his collaborators, or their underhand dealings with regard to Watchmen reprint. While all that weed might have made him a tiny bit paranoid, I doubt his experiences in the US helped his opinion of publishers in general.  

Equally, it's pretty clear that we wouldn't have a Prog today if it didn't come packaged with a mountain of publisher-owned IP and back-catalogue, so much as I love and respect the Magus, he's not likely to come round these parts again.  

I, Cosh

Maybe I'm being dense but I've never been able to grasp why Moore thinks DC should let Watchmen go out of print while people are still buying it.
We never really die.

JOE SOAP

I don't believe he ever expected them too or complained they didn't. He just never expected it to be in-print 25 years later!

W. R. Logan

Quote from: The Cosh on 26 February, 2011, 09:33:22 PM
Maybe I'm being dense but I've never been able to grasp why Moore thinks DC should let Watchmen go out of print while people are still buying it.

Because the original agreement stated that when it went out of print the characters reverted to Moore & Gibbons.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 26 February, 2011, 10:47:35 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 26 February, 2011, 09:33:22 PM

Because the original agreement stated that when it went out of print the characters reverted to Moore & Gibbons.

I think Cosh knows that, I believe he means why should they let it go out of print and passover the rights if it's still selling. To which I think Moore is not 'complaining' about that in particular but that he just believes Gibbons and himself deserve to own it anyway.

James

Halo Jones is like Fawlty Towers. Any more and you risk ruining what is already perfect.

TordelBack

Quote from: James on 01 March, 2011, 09:12:13 AM
Halo Jones is like Fawlty Towers. Any more and you risk ruining what is already perfect.

Precisely.

matty_ae

I think In Halo Jones book 4 she should meet the Space Girls and have an affair with Junker.

Alan loves the idea so much he wants a movie made.

WhizzBang

I am surprised to see that people are so positive about this strip. It never did much for me, but then I loved the original run of Robo Hunter which I see slated here from time to time so it just goes to show...something.