Main Menu

Prog 2115. Next-Gen Policing.

Started by NapalmKev, 19 January, 2019, 11:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Feeley Good

Do we know how many episodes the Dredd story is?

broodblik

Quote from: Dr Feeley Good on 20 January, 2019, 09:04:07 PM

It will run until March so it might be anything from 6 - 8 episodes. https://2000ad.com/post/4550
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

CalHab

Quote from: A.Cow on 20 January, 2019, 06:09:46 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 January, 2019, 09:48:08 PM
Two pages he draws the impact from Small House effortless into his world  (making slight of those that assume he pays no heed of what others do in Dredd's world) [...]

I felt it was ambiguous -- after all, the last time Dredd spoke with Hersey in a Wagner-penned story was Harvey (prog 2029), when they had a major falling-out about her authorising robot judges.  Coincidence?  Possibly not.

That was my reading as well.

Dr Feeley Good

Quote from: broodblik on 21 January, 2019, 02:55:16 AM
Quote from: Dr Feeley Good on 20 January, 2019, 09:04:07 PM

It will run until March so it might be anything from 6 - 8 episodes. https://2000ad.com/post/4550
Thanks for that.....

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 January, 2019, 08:26:12 PMI hope they don't let the Comics Treasury acquisition go to their heads and start peppering every story with contrived crossovers with rebooted classic characters.
Unless we get a second crack of Sweeny Toddler does Judge Dredd, obviously.

I liked the issue enough. Dredd and Brink were excellent. Skip Tracer is fine. It's readable, but lacks a spark somehow. The 3hriller starts well enough. Was anyone else reminded of John Ridgeway regarding the art? Fiends... It hasn't grabbed my attention nearly as much as in the previous run, and I do hope it doesn't just become two big bads punching each other's faces off. To this point, we'd seen some serious range in the concept, and so it deserves better than that. (It's still good, but the previous run was superb.)

Dandontdare

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 21 January, 2019, 11:06:09 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 January, 2019, 08:26:12 PMI hope they don't let the Comics Treasury acquisition go to their heads and start peppering every story with contrived crossovers with rebooted classic characters.
Unless we get a second crack of Sweeny Toddler does Judge Dredd, obviously.

Well that goes without saying, obvs!  :D

jabish

What a Dredd. 6 pages that feel like 20. I took Dredd to be talking about his and Hershey's words over Mechanismo previously. But it's ambiguous enough to keep it all in world. Later in the strip however it would seem Dredd's 're-juve' over in the meg hasn't taken ;) [spoiler]'You look kinda long in the tooth to be in active service buddy. You sure you oughta be on the street?' [/spoiler]. Its that kind of thing John Wagner just drops into a story and punches you in the gut. Masterful. And what a lovely idea the possible new CJ is. 6 pages worth the wait and worth the price of admission alone.

Proudhuff

All of the above and we get a Population stat!!
DDT did a job on me

Richard

That Megazine story never said that a rejuve makes Dredd look like a youthful 25-year old. It just keeps him going.

IndigoPrime

Quote[spoiler]You look kinda long in the tooth to be in active service buddy. You sure you oughta be on the street?'[/spoiler]
I thought the robot was being a bit of an arse there, frankly. Not like Dredd's sort-of buddy from the last series.

jabish

Seemed to me like the robot was just saying it like he saw it and didn't know who Dredd was at all. He had to search records sure. Another punch in the gut. That panel of Dredd's reaction? Classic. MacNeil is just brilliant. I know the re-juve never meant him to look crazy younger but that one page in this weeks prog has so much more power without it. I think that's what is implied. The man is 70*, what's he doing on the streets? Magic. Pure Dredd.

(*I think this works. Dredd was born in 2066 and artificially aged to 5 years old and its 2141 now he's had or about to have a big birthday)

jabish

Oooh bad maths. Sorry I meant to type 80.....

IndigoPrime

I find it entertaining that in 2141, robots have connectivity akin to dial-up internet. (And, yes, I know this is for narrative and pacing purposes, because otherwise they'd know everything at all times.)

A.Cow

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 January, 2019, 10:25:28 AM
I find it entertaining that in 2141, robots have connectivity akin to dial-up internet. (And, yes, I know this is for narrative and pacing purposes, because otherwise they'd know everything at all times.)

That's Wirth's law for you.

My PC can do several billion floating-point calculations in a single second ... yet it still takes over 10 seconds to load Photoshop.  Go figure.

Trout

I can't imagine a better tribute to our favourite Grumpy Fucker than to line him up for CJ. Thank you, John. I came over all emotional until I remembered the man himself would have told me to stop being such an arse and drink my pint.  :D

As for the prog, Wagner-McNeill Dredd never disappoints, Brink is rolling along well and that's a strong start for the Three-iller. I'm happy.